Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here's a thing. Having had about five attempts to reverse into a confined car port with about 10cm clearance either side from the supports (had to fold the mirrors when straight) and a restricted area to the front that gives you also about 10cm clearance to allow you to turn to straighten the approach to this carport, a strange thing happened to the clutch pedal.

Ok had to slip the clutch to control the approach speed etc, but on applying handbrake, foot still on the brake pedal, the clutch depressed, still in gear, turned the engine off. Foot still on the brake, released the clutch pedal and it only raised about half way. Checked immediately that no carpet had fouled the pedal (carpets are secured type) but then released the foot brake, up came the clutch pedal. With I guess a slightly worried look on my face I started the engine and went through the same procedure. Of course it didn't do it again. It may have always done this, but it was the first time I'd see it.

Anyone else noticed this.

I know the clutch and brake use the same fluid but I wouldn't expect an interaction like that. I was also (only) slightly concerned it took me five attempts to get in the car port as I'd done it first or second time for the past six days.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Was it on a steep slope Phil?

When I reverse my trailer up my sloping drive, it HAS done it the odd time.

The common factor seems to be riding the clutch a little to feather control, (Heat generated) & a slope.

Fluid boiling or expanding in slave?

The way the fluid works is that brakes are first Clutch is second, or could be return spring sticks a little when used for a period of time.

(Mates 1997 fiesta, similar clutch arrangement, also has this disease the odd times)

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. No on the absolute level and only reversing about the length of the Kuga Daz. Main problem being the supports I had to reverse between are 50cm square so have approach almost perpendicular to get between them.

Flipping heck, heat crossed my mind but hows the heat from the clutch get up the release bearing to boil the fluid in the clutch piston, I'd expect there to be a smell from the clutch for that, but it looks like our yours and mine experience seem to agree though. Very odd..

Just reversed into the spot for the last time this week at first attempt and no sticking pedal

Thanks

Oh, had a bit of snow up here in The Lakes, and clearly plenty of visitors with summers on, caused a bit of chaos for some for a while, unfortunately I had no need to drive, or should I have made an excuse.:)

·
He's in Denial!
2,299 Posts
There I was thinking that you Phill, was the dogs doodahs!��

There is enough torque in the 180 And prob the lower 150 diesel, not to even use any revs.

When I do ambulance training the students are revving it up like a stock car, slipping the clutch but are only doing 1mph.
There’s no need, biting point only control and dip in and out that few millimetres for max control.
I even do a reverse ex cerise up a gradient with no revs.

The reverse gear is usually a direct drive ratio as well, so it’s almost one turn of the engine for one turn of the gearbox. That’s why they go like “stink” in reverse.

Off course there will be some that will your rattle teeth out without a small amount but usually there’s no need.

I know the mk1s had an anti-stall feature and I wonder if the mk2 manuals are the same.

I’m available for free lessons by you must be accompanied by both parents and grandparents and great grandparents ����

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes well exactly the point Phill, no revs to talk about, so where's the heat from and no smell of clutch in the confined space of the carport. Yes there is an antistall that loves to take you round corners fast if your in the wrong gear :)
Just very odd it was held off with the footbrake and Daz has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hmm..

Does the anti stall (didn't know it had one) just involve the engine management ?

OR does the anti stall 'fiddle' the clutch for you, with a bit of the above. And over rides what your foot is doing?

My trailer empty is around 400kgs and takes some pushing backwards up a incline slope of a driveway.

Only happened to me once, must admit, early days of the Kuga.

Once I recalibrated 'the reversing line' I can do it in one go, no problem since.

(Never done it laden, as will be asking for clutch problems no doubt)

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just engine management. You have noticed it haven't you? It will tick over and drive with clutch peddle fully released, and will even drive in gear two or three with your foot off the accelerator, most noticeable when going round corners where your expecting the engine to slow you down and it doesn't. Well I'm guessing that the anti stall feature as I never experienced it on my Mondeo Diesel. It doesn't mean you.can drop ten clutch without giving it some revs.

·
He's in Denial!
2,299 Posts
Mm, don’t confuse antistall with normal engine tick over.

Antistall raises the revs by a few hundred should it sense you’ve boo booed, well on the mk1.

Tick over, as you say Filco will drive without any gas and you can achieve a moderate speed by using the gears.

The powershift will do it as well but I can’t say I’ve ever heard any antistall on the mk2, it’s just sets off.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
Took me a while to get used to the anti-stall on my mk2. Didn't even know about the feature and I am quite light footed when setting off. I thought it was something wrong with the car when I test drove it yet wife found no problem. Soon got used to "over-riding" it by giving it more gas when setting off as if you don't give it enough, the anti-stall kicks in and then seems to hesitate a bit. It's all a question of sequence in getting used to the car. No issue for people who normally set off quicker which is me now.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not noticed it setting off which may mean its doing it s job, but mainly when slowing down and it thinks you should change down a gear it keeps going.

Phill, yes tickover has the bottom end torque to drive, I mentioned in context of the topic. Very hand when in slow traffic of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had this problem om my 2011 kuga turns out it was the internal clutch slave cylinder leaking into gearbox if you are loosing brake fluid but you can't see where it's going you gonna have to replace the 3 piece clutch

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,368 Posts
This is worth a watch, skip to last 5 minutes or so.

I bet that isn't the only car to suffer same fault.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts