Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mk2 titanium X Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Having searched the forum , there seems to be a few dead topics on the subject so here goes another shot at it.

At present I have a 2016 titanium x sport 4wd 2.2L D

The standard steering wheel is a little out dates from styling point of view and the sliver wrap that they place on the trim is starting to peel.

I have seen some later model 2017+ steering wheel on ebay , some have flap paddles other have heating, somenhave neither.

Now I have no mechanical knowledge so this is why I'm asking.

1) can a straight swap be done with a 2017+ steering wheel
2) if I pick the flap paddle wheel, what extra work is required and is it possible?
3) same as 2 but but with the heated wheel instead.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,180 Posts
If you have 'no mechanical knowledge' then presumably you are going to get a garage to disconnect the battery to prevent the airbag discharging, using a pulling tool to remove the splined wheel, reconnecting and testing everything (like steering wheel audio controls etc.).

You can add paddle shifts to control the auto gearbox, far from easy and it requires some physical cutting of the shroud and sourcing of all of the additional mounts and components around the steering column (there is a thread somewhere).

Adding heating also requires a degree of reprogramming.

·
Registered
Mk2 titanium X Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

I do have access to a garage and people with a better knowledge then myself, coupled with the points you raised we might be alright.

So to avoid any extra work, maybe a straight swap to the new steering wheel without paddles or heating would be alot smoother to do.

I had read that there is some thoughts that the spring coil? Might be different so a straight swap might not be possible.

Anyone attemoted this at all?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think you'll find the "clock spring" (bit with the electrical connections between car and steering wheel) is different between a 2016 and 2017. But I could be wrong.

Even if it would plug straight in, the paddles and heating won't work. You may also find the buttons don't work as intended.

I've read elsewhere that 2012 - 2014 Focus steering wheels will fit a 2013 - 2016 Escape/ Kuga. But once again, that may not be correct.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Personally I would just swap like for like and not have all the hassle that could come from trying to upgrade.
When electrics are involved I tend to stay away...……………...….cos I aint got a scooby :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Having searched the forum , there seems to be a few dead topics on the subject so here goes another shot at it.

The standard steering wheel is a little out dates from styling point of view and the sliver wrap that they place on the trim is starting to peel.

I have seen some later model 2017+ steering wheel on ebay , some have flap paddles other have heating, somenhave neither.

2) if I pick the flap paddle wheel, what extra work is required and is it possible?

Thanks in advance
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Hello,

Thanks in advance
Hi, i have same Kuga liku u have,but 2.0 tdi.
Was thinking to change my 2016 steering to new one 2017+ ST Line.
Your post was 3 month ago, did you have get changed, if yes, tell me how it was.
Will be appreciated for reply.
Tnx.

·
Registered
Mk2 titanium X Sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, i have same Kuga liku u have,but 2.0 tdi.
Was thinking to change my 2016 steering to new one 2017+ ST Line.
Your post was 3 month ago, did you have get changed, if yes, tell me how it was.
Will be appreciated for reply.
Tnx.

Hey

I have not done the change yet but in the thread there was links to parts I would need. Unfortunately with the covid 19 situation and being put on furlough I havent the extra funds to spend on parts just yet.

But from my understanding as long as the wheel and "clock spring" (control storks) match then it's just a question of un clipping the trim and some wiring harnesses

1 - 7 of 7 Posts