Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've managed to grab four steelies with Conti winter tyres fitted for the princely sum of £80 - bargain! They're a bit rusty, so I'll need to sort them out before winter time, which leads to a key question - what colour to paint them!

My current thought is gunmetal (or brake-dust!) grey - I'm not a big one for obsessively washing cars, so if I can avoid it looking dirty that's a big plus! Anyone else run steelies over winter (or at all) and have some photos?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Get some plastic wheel trims, save you painting them.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Euro car parts where having a sale on wheel trims but not sure about 17" if that's the size you have.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones I've got are 16" - maximum squish!

Just finished cleaning them up by sanding and applying Kurust, already miles better looking!

The wife wants silver wheels so I got some Simoniz wheel paint, will see how we get on!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If 16" wheels are not listed in your handbook then you should notify your insurance company you have swapped them. We all know why you have swapped them but as UK law doesn't call for the mandatory fitting of winter tyres then your insurance company will class it as a modification which is notifiable if different to manufacturers recommendations.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
Most people wouldn't or don't bother as I didn't when I upgraded my 16" wheels to 17" on my Mazda 6 but only because 17" were listed in the handbook. However when I changed to winter tyres for a european trip i did tell them because the tyres were only H rated for speed which was lower than the recommended spec. It didn't cost me anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit of progress made at the weekend - starting to look OK!

Just leaned up against the car to get an idea here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bit rough and ready, but at the end of the day they're winter wheels, not concourse steelies!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I touch the inside face of the rims with smooth hammerite after the spring change over, and I use dull silver trims.
My son keeps reminding me to not put trims on and leave the black exposed. No thanks

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
A good job your car isn't white haha. You done a good job in painting the wheels but the jury is out on whether the steel wheels improve the look of your car or not. If it keeps her safer with them on then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
664 Posts
could use cable ties to keep the trims on the wheels,,but safety comes first.

Ross

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A good job your car isn't white haha. You done a good job in painting the wheels but the jury is out on whether the steel wheels improve the look of your car or not. If it keeps her safer with them on then that's all that matters.
Agreed, it's not a look I would naturally go for! I would have preferred alloys, but for the price I'll put up with her car looking a bit odd for a few months a year :D

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Agreed, it's not a look I would naturally go for! I would have preferred alloys, but for the price I'll put up with her car looking a bit odd for a few months a year :D
I know, it isn't about the look. I went to Austria some years ago in march when winter wheels are mandatory and most have steel wheels for winter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts