Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that there are several discussions on problems with starting and rough idling. I am posting to share my problem and the cause, which I have not seen recorded elsewhere.

My Kuga, 2013, 4WD, 163hp, suddenly began stalling about 10 seconds after first start of the day. It would restart but only after long cranking. It then ran perfectly, and started perfectly for the rest of the day. The only problem I could see was air bubbles in the fuel line to the high pressure pump. “Official” diagnosis was either failed tank fuel pump, or faulty high pressure pump. This didnt explain how air was entering the fuel line, which should be a sealed system to the tank.

I changed the fuel filter, just in case there was an air leak at the filter cap seal, but it made no difference. The problem got worse and the car wouldnt idle, with lots of air in the fuel line.

I then replaced the fuel filter cap and problem solved. The car started and ran as good as ever.

I then pressure tested the filter cap and found it was leaking through the electrical connector for water sensing. Air was being sucked in as the high pressure pump pulled the fuel through the filter.

I hope the above might be useful to someone with a similar problem.

T.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Excellent review of your issue which hopefully will make good reading for others with the same problem. It doesn't bear thinking about the cost of replacing either the in tank pump or the high pressure pump which still wouldn't have solved the issue.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks for the informed write up, this is a problem which often crops up.
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts