Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

I have my Mk-2 for about 3 months now. Until recently, the start-stop icon (the 'A' in a circle) was always grayed out and the engine never stopped, no matter how long I left it running with the parking brake set and out of gear. The only time it shut down was after 45 minutes of updating software, but I believe that wasn't the start-stop system, that was just an idle time out.

However, since a couple of days the A-icon occasionally appears green when I set the parking brake and stops the engine when not in gear. To my knowledge I haven't changed any settings. The only thing that's changing is the weather (it's getting colder and wetter). Can someone tell me, or point me to, what the criteria are for the start-stop system to be in effect? Currently it seems fairly arbitrary.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Kuga Titanium 1.5 Ecoboost Petrol
6 Posts
I have a 2018 Kuga which I've owned for 2 months, and I've not once had the start - stop work yet. I can't say I've noticed any obvious issues that point to a low battery but it's possible

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
629 Posts
Seems to be a number of factors such as battery power, air con on, short mileage, lots of stop/start traffic. Mine is working fine but I switch it off most days anyway. But the other day when I left it on sitting at some lights it cut out and then just auto started. Could be as I do mostly short journeys and so battery was maybe too low for it to continue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't mind the start-stop system in general but what is annoying is if I quickly stop and get out of the car with the engine left running for a couple of minutes, it auto stops but I need to manually turn it on again. It's giving me a message that it can't auto start the engine anymore.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,779 Posts
There is a set criteria which I think @Ross J has and I am sure he will post.

irrespective of that criteria my Kuga has a mind of it's own where stop start works or it doesn't. On trips across the city it's very hit and miss. I drove all the way from Scotland, around 430 miles, parked in my drive and it didn't work. 5 minutes drive the next morning and it worked.

Personally I wouldn't concern yourself too much. In my car it is not an efficient system when compared to our Vauxhall Mokka which just works every time.

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
2015 150 Zetec Manual AWD
56 Posts
Generally switch ours off every time we start car up , one the odd occasion we forget it the Dashcam powers down as the engine cuts out .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll await his reply.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,817 Posts
Heres the thread where @Ross J posted the Stop/Start limitations criterea (its post number 3)

Reactions: Hagues and Ross J
1 - 8 of 8 Posts