Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, LONG POST ALERT

I have only just joined the group to specially ask this question despite being on my second Kuga but they have been well behaved until now hence reaching out for anyone who has experienced the following....

I have a 2019 ST Line edition with the 2ltr Diesel engine and powerahift auto box
It’s a spanish vehicle and. LHD (but I’m a English speaker from UK)

two weeks ago the vehicle went in for its first service and when it was returned to me there was a fault that when the start / stop has stopped the vehicle then it would suffer from a successful restart but not rev above 1500-2000 rpm in nuetral and when in drive would barely make progress and when forced to stop engine would judder out and die, engine will always immediately restart but will judder like crazy, not rev high and crawl along.

No engine warning lights will appear initially but when you leave vehicle for ten mins or so and try a restart it would drive away quite normally but with the engine warning light on however no fault description in messages and then overnight even the warning light would disappear.

Needless to say it went straight back to the servicing Ford concession who could find no fault and no stored fault codes either.

I took vehicle back off them and the vehicle did the same thing one day later although after ten minutes the vehicle restarted but I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to build revs and when it did jump up over 2000rpm it rewarded me with the ‘gearbox range restricted’, ‘hill start assist disabled’ and the main engine warning light coming on, once again overnight these fault lights all cleared and when I took it back to Ford once again they could still find no fault and gave it back to me and needless to say same night the fault developed as per the first time ie engine light only after ten minute wait.

At this time I took the vehicle to a main dealership and after nearly a week of trying to replicate the fault (low speed, engine warm to hot, allow start / stop to stop vehicle and then try to move off straight away) they eventually did see the fault occur and plugged the car straight into diagnostics but the only code given was one they’d never seen before so all data was then sent off to Ford Spain.

Ford have come back and said they cannot pinpoint the fault, due in part to non specific fault codes and the randomness of it, and one avenue of exploration could be an over-pressure in the fuel tank causing the vehicle to try to go into true limp mode but, due to minimal sensors causing poor sensor data, it is failing and only getting halfway there.

However to try and test this theory the vehicle has to be suffering the fault and then they will try to hear if pressure is released when accessing the filler neck but it can take days for the fault to occur and only in the very specific circumstances in traffic.

I have read some similar faults being caused by low battery voltage / damaged cell battery so have ensured this has been checked out to no avail!
It’s also worth noting that when I try to set the start/stop to Off in the settings it continues to stop the vehicle at idle (although I admit I only changed the setting after I had driven someway and having never used this setting before I can’t be sure you don’t have to turn it off when you first start up before you pull away??)

so the burning question is...... has anyone suffered from anything like this? Heard of anyone else who has? If so what was the resolution?
If no one has seen it could anyone offer opinion based on the info or an I just in the hands of the technical gurus and a potentially long wait to get my Kuga back?

I've trawled the forum and the net at large for this fault but most people seem to either have complete failure of the start / stop system ie the vehicle fails to restart complete or they have had the issue traced to being battery related.

thanak for looking and taking the time to read this

Phil.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I know the car is only a year old but it might be worthwhile to have your battery leads checked for tightness and also the negative lead for corrosion on the BMS module connected in the lead on top of the battery.
As your stop/start is still working it's unlikely to be battery or charging related but you have to start somewhere on the process of elimination.

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
Main thing for me is the vehicle is still in warranty, and your supplying dealer has a duty to sort it. Try calling Ford Customer Service centre...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts