Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a towbar fitted to my 67 plate ST line X in a couple of months. Does the bumper require trimming as it did on the mk1?

Also I have the boot foot sensor, does this still work after?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
My ST Line has the factory fitted retractable towbar, really clever bit of kit so cant comment on retro fit bar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phoneman said:
My ST Line has the factory fitted retractable towbar, really clever bit of kit so cant comment on retro fit bar

When I mentioned it to the Ford dealer I purchased the car from, they just said they use the local tow bar fitters.

Didnt know there was a retractable one! Was going to go for a removable swan neck as I had before

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Really clever bit of kit, press button in boot out pops towball below number, then just use your foot and push it into position, same when not needed, press button, towbar releases and push under bumper it locks away. Funny thing is ill probably never use it as it was on car when I bought it on a Ford Direct

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lank said:
I will be getting a towbar fitted to my 67 plate ST line X in a couple of months. Does the bumper require trimming as it did on the mk1?

Also I have the boot foot sensor, does this still work after?

Thanks,
You would trust that the guys fitting the Towbar know what they are doing, with cut outs and not obscuring the foot waving sensor.

I've actually got the factory fitted retractable tow bar, and yes its great, just press a button in the boot to release it down. You still have to grab hold of it and lock it into place. And the same applies when putting it back. Will have to wear a glove once it gets covered in grease of course.

However to open the boot, I'm sure I've seen a diagram somewhere that you shouldn't wave your foot in the centre but more to the sides (near tail pipes) due to the towbar placement in the centre. But if there are now two sensors it still picks you up foot waving the middle area.

Still getting used to this hokey cokey dance to open the boot.

KS.

Edited by: KugaSpud

·
Registered
323 Posts
In all the cars I've owned since towing a caravan , always fitted a fixed towbar - best deterrent
I know for people trying to park too close astern of you. April last year , our last car ( Kia Sportage)
was hit from behind . We had minor damage to rear bumper and the other car ( Audi A4 ) was
considered a total loss.
Fixed towbar is always my choice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Retractable is only factory fit option £625 which i think is very good value compared with an aftermarket.Unfortunately i have had the motor module fail on mine which has obviously been repaired under warranty.
Dealer stated they would not have entertained looking at anything to do with the tow bar or electrics if an aftermarket fit and any problems found with electrics linked to the tow ball would have been charged.
Whilst i would agree fixed tow bar is best parking deterrent i had the retractable on mine because it just looks so much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening.

I too have an ST Line and need to fit a detachable towbar. I wondered what your experience was, what you had fitted, if the bumper was cut, any electrics problems etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have a fixed swan neck ball fitted there is no need to cut the skirt also it is compatible with the ALKO stabilised hitch.
Regards Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a tow bar fitted to my ST Line X last week, it was a tow trust swan detachable, no cuts were made and also he kindly moved the foot sensor to the side slightly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine came with a factory towbar already fitted. When I was shown how to operate it, I noticed it was catching on the bumper. They fixed it by trimming the bumper. It seems a bit of an oversight.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Both genuine removable and retractable can be retrofitted, but they are pricey, especially the retractable one. You can always fit an aftermarket towbar, but make sure to ask about makes and models that fit your car, in a respectable store, carrying respectable manufacturers.

Mind you, this thread is from 2018, fixed towbars are now illegal EE-wide, so only removables and (powered or not) retractables from now on...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, are you referring to the Ford after market fixed swan neck here?
thanks
This subject was 2018
Mine is a detachable and I think Kugas look awful with tow ball visible and I think most owners appear to get detachable.
When choosing be careful as not all makes are Approved for the STLine variant.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both genuine removable and retractable can be retroffited,.....

.... fixed towbars are now illegal EE-wide,....

My Ford dealer refused to fit a tow bar to my car.

Not heard there was a ban on fixed Tow balls, have you a Link on this so I can find out more please.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's not a ban for fixed per se, it has to do with the clause "towbar must not protrude dangerously when not towing".

I can link the greek legislation, effective as of 01/01/2021, but I doubt you'll make heads or tails from it :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
This subject was 2018
Mine is a detachable and I think Kugas look awful with tow ball visible and I think most owners appear to get detachable.
When choosing be careful as not all makes are Approved for the STLine variant.
I had the fixed variant fitted by Ford due to price but they now can’t tell me if it’s alko compatible or not

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Both genuine removable and retractable can be retrofitted, but they are pricey, especially the retractable one. You can always fit an aftermarket towbar, but make sure to ask about makes and models that fit your car, in a respectable store, carrying respectable manufacturers.

Mind you, this thread is from 2018, fixed towbars are now illegal EE-wide, so only removables and (powered or not) retractables from now on...
We are no longer in the EU. We took our ball home.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts