Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

Frequently posts gibberish!
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Diesel you see, a fuel source with many properties.
Safe and hard to set fire to. Has built in torque and speed if required.

Petrol...say no more. 馃

Registered
Sadly the 2.0 Ecoboost never made it to the UK. It did in the Mondeo where even in D it revved out if you pinned the throttle pedal.
Mine will go to the redline in 'D' but we have a lot of 80k/h speed limits and draconian policing, in 'D' the gearbox wants to go into 6th which drops the revs down to around 1400 rpm not great for a petrol.
Sport keep it in 5th so the revs are higher more in the torque curve.

Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Whats the saying, 鈥淗orses for courses 鈥

I鈥檇 like to try a petrol model Kuga to see if I should change my view on it.
If it鈥檚 like the Petrol Tiguan (1.4, now 1.5) then it wasn鈥檛 a happy ownership. Box up and down trying to find the right gear.
Diesel of course can cope with that nonsense.
To put it like Peter Kayes sketch of 鈥渄unking biscuits鈥
Petrol = rich tea, one dunk and they flop and wilt.
Diesel= hobnob, dunk me, dunk me again, come dunk me!

Each to their own but diesel is 馃挭. Hope that annoys the petrol gang lol.

Registered
Mine will go to the redline in 'D' but we have a lot of 80k/h speed limits and draconian policing, in 'D' the gearbox wants to go into 6th which drops the revs down to around 1400 rpm not great for a petrol.
Sport keep it in 5th so the revs are higher more in the torque curve.
But then you are just burning fuel for no reason, that's why it has a 6th gear ! Easy enough to pull the paddles to drop to 5th or 4th if you need it even in D

Registered
But then you are just burning fuel for no reason, that's why it has a 6th gear ! Easy enough to pull the paddles to drop to 5th or 4th if you need it even in D
Not in an Aussie spec 2016, no paddles and no manual change unless in sport, and I didn't buy it to save fuel.

Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well done.
It gets tedious the mpg saga.
as we keep being told, it鈥檚 got the aerodynamics of a brick.
drag = square and all that malarkey Lol

just blooming enjoy it, no matter which fuel source you have.

There said it, I鈥檒l be in the bad books now.

But then you are just burning fuel for no reason, that's why it has a 6th gear !
People on the US forums have reported little to no difference in economy between D and S (they only get auto petrol engines.)

Lugging a high gear requires a large accelerator input to maintain speed on hills (or to get the trans to kick down.) That isn't necessarily an economical way to drive. You end up pushing the accelerator down further and further to get the trans to change down and then it suddenly (once it does change down) wants to take off quickly. So you need to back off the accelerator again. Selecting S doesn't mean the engine will rev out unnecessarily. It will still change up to high gears even on steep hills. The difference is it won't labour the engine before changing down. The bottom line is S makes for a smoother driving experience.

That's for the 6F35. I've got no idea how the diesel DCT performs, so won't comment on that.

Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
I can imagine Sport makes a massive difference on a Petrol engine, they are not designed to be lugged around at low rpm high gear like the Diesel.

Worst case really, high load low rpm is knock city for a Petrol.

Yes. It's something a lot of owners don't know about with the petrol EcoBoost engines. LSPI is often talked about as a problem on the Focus ST forums.

So it's safer to run an EcoBoost in S all the time and use the highest octane fuel you can. (Getting ready for a bombardment of "you're wasting your money comments"... :ROFLMAO:)

Registered
I've tuned my own petrol cars and higher octane fuel is definitely not a waste of money.

Plus pre ignition kills pistons and rods so avoid that at all costs, can't imagine the forces involved really trying to push a crank down when it's at TDC or even worse backwards.

Registered
I can imagine Sport makes a massive difference on a Petrol engine, they are not designed to be lugged around at low rpm high gear like the Diesel.

Yes. It's something a lot of owners don't know about with the petrol EcoBoost engines. LSPI is often talked about as a problem on the Focus ST forums.

So it's safer to run an EcoBoost in S all the time and use the highest octane fuel you can. (Getting ready for a bombardment of "you're wasting your money comments"... :ROFLMAO:)
High octane petrol is almost always worth it, the added detergents alone help. However unless your engine has some form of knock sensor and can adjust the timing then it doesn't really make any use of it (it will always be tuned for the lowest octane rating for safety).

In a modern engine like the Ecoboost low or high revs make minimal difference where pre-ignition is prevented by the timing control. For all the talk on forums the reality is most of these engines put up with whatever you throw at them. But more important 'lugging' at low revs in an auto is very difficult to achieve - it just kicks down.

Sport mode arguably does make more difference in a petrol engine as it has a wider operating range. In my old Mondeo 2.0 with the 6F35 sport mode would hold onto gears much longer and at higher revs, which is fine if you need it, but when you are just doing 50 in a queue of traffic it is pointless - just stick it in D and let the engine trickle.

The example is even more extreme in my Mustang, in D at 80mph in 10th gear it trickles along at 2000rpm and 35mpg, in sport mode it drops the gears and does about 20mpg. There is a time for both !

Registered
I've just been out in our Kuga, and used Sport. It is noticeably better at setting off from a stop, especially when pulling out of busy junctions etc.

I'm almost sure in Drive it is setting of in 2nd gear, will have to do some logging with FORScan but it definitely feels like it.

Only downside for me is in 20mph zones light throttle it's hanging on to the revs but that's part and parcel of Sport mode.

Been looking for software for gearbox remapping but none found that the end user can adjust. Would love to be able to have a play.

I already have the TCU+ but I'm a picky sod and would like to refine it further.

Thinking about it, when you're in Drive and give it the beans to set off it must do a shift into 1st, but would already have 3rd preselected. Will have to do some digging.

Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If I鈥檓 doing 30 cos it鈥檚 30. If I use the paddle shifters it usually shows I鈥檓 in 5th already.
The diesel is good that way, high low revs, only needs 6 gears not 10. Will set off in 5th and pull two caravans full with the harems of ladies. 38 mpg as well.
eat that you petrol munchers.

Registered
Selected gear on the display would be nice in Auto modes on the Powershift, just for curiosities sake.

Mr. Uses Lots of Words
If I鈥檓 doing 30 cos it鈥檚 30. If I use the paddle shifters it usually shows I鈥檓 in 5th already.
The diesel is good that way, high low revs, only needs 6 gears not 10. Will set off in 5th and pull two caravans full with the harems of ladies. 38 mpg as well.
eat that you petrol munchers.
You have lost your custom title and are now just plain registered. Greg's car has more gears than my mountain bike.

Reactions: Psshaw

Registered
My Boss had a go in a new Ranger, downsized to a 2l with an 8 or 10 speed gearbox.

He ended up buying another 3.2l diesel auto (6 speed?).

Registered
Tried sport mode today, and must have caught a flappy paddle by mistake. Managed to red line before realising something was wrong, but didn't realise what. Knocked the box straight back into D.

Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Booted it D mode this morning, went like the clappers.
Booted in S mode this morning, went like the clappers, but faster.

All 4 wheels digging into the tarmac, ripping it up with the x climates.
Burnt a fiesta 1 litre off, get that grandma and ya blue rinse.

Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh yeah, Mr plain guy again.

Bet he鈥檚 got something up his sleeve that 鈥渟pendalotka mod.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts