Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a general chit chat message for the forum.

Whilst on the way from the daughters house, having been abused for my jet walking prowess and gardening skills!

I accidentally put the Kuga into “sports mode” when setting off from some lights.

I’d actually forgotten how quick and punchy that mode is.

I have in the past mentioned that anything after 2k on the Rev counter, is fuel and torque inefficient. Well that’s for driving Miss Daisy and today she was sat in the care home, having some ?.

I didn’t use the “flappy paddles” as for me, they cause issues. “Issues” I hear you say. Well in auto change sports mode, depending on how heavy your right foot is, this determines when it changes for you. (Powershift). If you use the paddles then your get the change up or down green arrow, but it’ll pretty much scream it’s head off whilst going up through the gears.

Anyway, it was nice to see him “hustle” up the road and clear his throat and of course within the speed limits etc.

I don’t do it often but the only thing I dislike is moving the gearstick forward twice for neutral. A side tap to sports would be better and there’s too much thro on the lever. The Tiguan we had in March fitted with the DSG, had a really short stubby gear shift and was really nice to use and had little movement to engage any of the drives.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I always drive in sports unless in bad traffic then I use d so the stop/start works. I do not like the paddles, as to go back to normal auto mode you have to move the gear lever back into d then into sport again. It was a better set up on my previous car as you pulled the + paddle for a couple of seconds then it went back to auto. Mine is a bit slow away as I have the 1.5 petrol, but I bet your 2.0 diesel flys.

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,084 Posts
Must admit I did give mine a bit of a squeeze today and was very happy with it getting up there with the smaller cars I was chasing :)

I do love the manual box as you can hold the revs that little bit longer hehe.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,445 Posts
I use Sport when coming up to busy roundabouts/ junctions etc.

Best thing is it holds gears longer on the overrun when slowing down sharpish.

Rarely use the gear hold, mostly when towing the caravan. Powershift seems very good at getting the best gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just bought a Kuga 2019 auto and am puzzled by this S on the shift, which is described as Sport mode. But what does it do? What is it? What kind of traffic is it for? And there are two buttons on the wheel marked + and -. The manual does not explain any of this clearly - indeed very little is clear in the manual anyway.

·
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn’t anyone explain it?

+ or - are on the paddle shifters and can be used in with manual or sports mode. So you can change gear if you do wish.
if you do this in D mode after a short while it will return to auto mode.
Sports mode seems to change the engine mapping and makes it Rev more and certainly gives it more of a punch and more spirited get up and go. Again it will change automatically for you but you can change using the paddles but on this occasion you will get up or down green arrows to help you make the right decision.

if you use the paddle in either D or S mode and don’t like it, pull the right paddle and hold for a second or so and it will default back into auto mode.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Keithmac i see you said about towing a caravan, so do you tow in D or S mode i have to admit i always have towed in D and i do use the manual shift button's on the side of the stick to hold it in a gear, but this week on the way back i used S mode it did seem to perform better and seemed better mpg, or was that wish full thinking. Also i have stopped using the cruise control when towing and use the speed limiter instead as i find it does not seem to change down as often on a slight incline. What are your thought's or anyone else's:cool:

·
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understood from a few years ago that S mode was kind of intended for those who may tow a cajavan. This is useful so you can hold onto gears rather than the gearbox hunting for the best choice.
I never really like the side switch on the stick but the paddles seem better and more responsive.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Keithmac i see you said about towing a caravan, so do you tow in D or S mode i have to admit i always have towed in D and i do use the manual shift button's on the side of the stick to hold it in a gear, but this week on the way back i used S mode it did seem to perform better and seemed better mpg, or was that wish full thinking. Also i have stopped using the cruise control when towing and use the speed limiter instead as i find it does not seem to change down as often on a slight incline. What are your thought's or anyone else's:cool:
I use a mixture really, normally on a flat motorway it'll be in Drive but hills or twisty A roads etc I'll have it in Sport when towing.

In Sport it seems to be better at selecting gears up inclines and not lugging the engine.

I use manual shift now and again but not a lot to be fair.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks i will try it next time in sport and see how it performs

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,242 Posts
I like to use Sport mode in busy towns and cities or small country lanes, otherwise I just use Drive.

I found that Sport mode in my previous diesel didn't work that well, as it allowed the engine to rev too high per gear and so was out of the power-band most of the time, unless you manually shift to keep the revs sub 2500.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
418 Posts
The only time sport mode is useful is in snow when it enables you to manually change gears and importantly allows engine braking with 4 wheels if you have AWD. Other than that it just makes more noise by holding on to the revs longer !

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have just bought a Kuga 2019 auto and am puzzled by this S on the shift, which is described as Sport mode. But what does it do? What is it? What kind of traffic is it for? And there are two buttons on the wheel marked + and -. The manual does not explain any of this clearly - indeed very little is clear in the manual anyway.
It is all in the manual

Transmission (fordservicecontent.com)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sport makes a massive difference to the 2.0 Litre Ecoboost petrol as 'D' changes up far to early making the engine labour.

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,242 Posts
The only time sport mode is useful is in snow when it enables you to manually change gears and importantly allows engine braking with 4 wheels if you have AWD. Other than that it just makes more noise by holding on to the revs longer !
Ah yes, I forgot about that perk - very useful and I used this technique myself earlier in the year :D

Reactions: Gregs24

·
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it does offer some engine braking but it has more to offer as it “perks” up the engine response to throttle input.

Don’t all engines make more noise if revved up. Anyway it would appear that noise isn’t the factor but emissions are. Petrol revs more than diesel for the same or less gains.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes it does offer some engine braking but it has more to offer as it “perks” up the engine response to throttle input.

Don’t all engines make more noise if revved up. Anyway it would appear that noise isn’t the factor but emissions are. Petrol revs more than diesel for the same or less gains.
They do, but revving out a diesel is pretty pointless once you have gone past peak torque. Petrol engines develop peak torque higher in the rev range plus are often less noisy anyway.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sport makes a massive difference to the 2.0 Litre Ecoboost petrol as 'D' changes up far to early making the engine labour.
Sadly the 2.0 Ecoboost never made it to the UK. It did in the Mondeo where even in D it revved out if you pinned the throttle pedal.

·
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol. I knew that would provoke a response and I know about the other stuff.

Pity no one told my old employers (police) like BMW and Volvo. As I recall they spent most of their time at the red line, you may pass peak torque low down but still gain speed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've noticed in Drive, driving normally ours doesn't go over 2000 rpm, in Sport it tends to hit 2500. I believe peak torque is 2500 on our 2l Diesel.

Sport is nice coming up to busy roundabouts etc, holds the gear longer, more engine braking and is ready to go if there's a safe space to take. Plus towing it doesn't lug the engine like Drive does, especially under load.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts