Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Has anyone heard of Speedwatch? I have looked on the web and they are connected with the Cambridgeshire Police force and are similar to a neighbourhood watch scheme. Well I got an educational letter from them yesterday stating that my vehicle (they had the correct registration number) had been seen exceeding the speed limit (36mph)on St Audreys Lane in St Ives on the 25 August 2009 between 9.30am and 10.30am.

Now don't get me wrong I am not in favour of speeding, but the problem is I have never ever in my entire life been to St Ives in Cambridgeshire and was at work in East Yorkshire from 8.30am until 5pm on the 25 August. Do you think someone has cloned my number plate?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If there is a phone number on there to call or a mail address to write back to then I would respond explaining that you could not have been there and you have the witnesses to confirm this. However, just out of curiosity, are they asking you to call them? Just worth a check as I have heard of scams where they ask for you to call urgently and you end up calling a dodgy premium rate number.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi WarKuga

No there is neither a phone number or an address of where this letter has come from, it isn't even on proper headed note paper, there is just the Cambridgeshire police badge in the top of the right hand corner and a Neighbourhood Policing symbol in the top of the left hand corner. Even the envelope has not return address on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I remember rightly a while ago i got an email from a friend which had a link to a website. On this web site you had to enter your reg no and it searched to see if you had been caught speeding!
Whatever reg you put in it came back saying you had been seen speeding on such and such a date and then when you clicked to have a look it flashed some funny picture up on screen. Im sure this was called speed watch and made reference to some police force. It is more than likely someone is pulling your leg or you would have had a fixed penalty notice rather than a letter!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi,

I remember the spoof Website from some time ago but if you Google Speedwatch there are various references to this organisation, the main one I found is in this link:

http://speed-watch.org/

The more worrying thing though is has your car been cloned? I think you can contact Speedwatch via the Website so it may be an idea to check with them.

Raymondo111

·
Registered
119 Posts
Springhead,
Hi, i am a serving police officer with Warwickshire Police. Don't worry at all. Community speed watch is basically a group of the local community backed by the Police doing their own speed camapaign. This is a purely educational tool to let drivers know they were travelling above the speed limit. It is NOT enforceable in any shape or form and usually the Police are not even present. We have it here in Warwickshire and they just take registrations and send letters out to drivers FOR INFORMATION ONLY.
In your case, they have simply taken the registration wrong. This is the reason why i like many other officers are not keen on the scheme, it should be left to police officers to do.
Please don't worry, i would suggest that you contact Cambridgeshire Police and enquire, they will tell you of the details and apologise on behalf of the community speed watch.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much VickAndIzzy. I have taken your advice and have rung Cambridgeshire Police, they have suggested exactly as you did that the person has taken down the registration wrongly, however they said just in case there is a vehicle with ghost plates of my registration they are going to inform the Speedwatch people of what has happened,and ask them to keep a look out for such a vehicle and have given me an incident number.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Springhead, i am glad you got it sorted. Don't mean to be negative, however, the local community are not sufficiently trained to do this type of work, albeit, they have a very small amount of restricted input. It is possible, however, very unlikely that your vehicle is on 'ghost' plates. Maybe when and if they see this vehicle again they will do a check on the Police national computer to clarify.
No need to worry though, i can virtually guarantee they took the wrong registration. It has happened here, and gets quite embarrassing when the Police have to apologise !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi VickAndIzzy

Your advice is very much appreciated, you have set my mind at rest. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too had this once but the message wasn't by letter only be e-mail. I looked into it and it was a spoof site ,Especially since i was never in that location and road and had to look up where it was!
while I understand locals trying to reduce speed in their areas ( we have issues here too) a much better idea from the continent works and requires no policing. eg a speed related camera linked to traffic lights so if? you go over the rated speed by more than 2-3 mph the light WILL turn red and makes you wait 15-20 seconds .this making that journey longer.
it also has a camera on the red lights in case oyou try and ignore it and drive through.
came across this in Portugal and it is very effective even locals slow down and observe limit as its then the quickest way through.
maybe we should divert speeding camera monies towards this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts