Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't know what size they are but are you having problems with thesound? Ithought that mine were not working in the backbut it was actuallythe balance not being set correctly.Obvious, I know but it made quite a difference once it was sorted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not having problems with the sound just wanted to upgrade the speakers. I just wondered if someone had taken the door cards off already and noted the standard speaker size? When spring returns I'll be building a custom enclosure for the boot but still give access to the spare wheel and also I've got to be able to get my pooch or a pushchair in the back.
The standard door speakers will probably only be rated at 10 or 15watts rms. A reasonably power amp rated at 50watts rms per door will soon cook the coils on the factory fit stuff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Standard paper speakers are 20W RMS
Premium blue plastic 25W in doors.
Size is 6.5"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I had 2 sets of Focal 165 fitted.
They work very good and have good sound all thru the spectrum.
Also I had an amplifier fitted to run those speakers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you try to run them without amplifier?

Replace speakers will be easy job but add extra amp might be little tricky am I right?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You can run them with any radio you want. But then you will only get the wattage that the radio is rated at.
I had fitted a Focal Solid 4 amplifier to get the most out of those speakers.
It was fitted by a local audio/video company.

If you know what you are doing and what need to connect to what, then you have no issues doing it yourself.
At that time I was not competent enough. Today, I am. So next modification I will do myself.

From experience. First change your headunit. Then you will hear the difference between OEM and aftermarket. The sound is so much better with aftermarket.
I replaced the speakers, because the old ones were starting to rattle(too much use :D)

·
Registered
112 Posts
You're right. My current radio it's shitty. There is no difference between 2/3 to max. volume.

But this upgrade in Kuga mk2 2014 it's too expensive for me. I will have to buy:
- Double Din Radio Installation Kit
- Steering wheel control
- Antenna adaptor
- Double Din radio unit

So I guess about £600 😕

I have to try improve it cheaper way...
To this day I soundproof all doors and inner wheel arches. I think this sync 1 need to be adjusted more advanced equalizer setting.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well you can always change the speakers, see how they work.
And then if you still are not happy, change the headunit.
I fitted the universal Android unit from eonon.co.uk
I even got the steering controls working without any modules. I just had to google a bunch about pinout of the car and factory radio.

This was a small project that teached me alot about car electrics, reading pinouts and how to create custom wiring looms.(to go back to factory if I have the need)

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well they would work. But only as good as the headunit is. Meaning that the headunit usually isn't capable to deliver more than 50w per channel to the speakers.
And if I were you, I'd go buy from some local audio store. Because there can be some warranty issues with speakers, like all things. And it is far easier to deal with some local store, than with another continent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts