Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Can anyone put my mind at rest.

Have had my Kuga 2 weeks now, which has the optional 18 inch alloys, but my spare wheel is only 17 inches. I know it is thinner, but I would have thought it should be 18 inches. If I need to use the spare the car would not drive true , ie 1 inch shorter on one wheel ,and will it fit?. Can anyone confirm that this is ok or should I go back to the dealer and ask for a spare 18 inch.

Your expertise would be appreciated

Many thanks

RonnyP

·
Registered
73 Posts
RonnyP said:
Hi guys
Can anyone put my mind at rest.

Have had my Kuga 2 weeks now, which has the optional 18 inch alloys, but my spare wheel is only 17 inches. I know it is thinner, but I would have thought it should be 18 inches. If I need to use the spare the car would not drive true , ie 1 inch shorter on one wheel ,and will it fit?. Can anyone confirm that this is ok or should I go back to the dealer and ask for a spare 18 inch.

Your expertise would be appreciated

Many thanks

RonnyP
The space saver serves only to get you home so the damaged wheel/tyre can be repaired! The diameter is that that clears your brakes. A Kuga with optional 18s doesn't get bigger brakes than a car with standard 17s. So yes your spacer saver will fit. Read the sticker on the space saver wheel for correct speed and useage mate.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yep, it's OK. The profile of the tyre fitted makes the difference. The 17 inch wheels have a taller profile (55%) than the 18 inch ones (50%). The 19 inch tyre profile is lower than the 18 at 45%. This means that the rolling circumference of the wheel is about the same for all three wheel/tyre combination sizes (and the 135/90R17 skinny), keeping the overall gearing of the car the same, and avoiding problems with speedo calibration accuracy and fuel consumption etc..

I have the skinny spare wheel as well.

Edited by: quatroxquatro

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
JohnG said:
My posts seem to have been removed just nowdid I do something wrong?
Yep I'm afraid, it's been a long standing forum way of working for all posts offering items for sale, swap, or wanted to be in the specific For Sale & Wanbted section on the forum.

A quick look at the forum home page will show you that the posts have been moved:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you for explainingAs I will soon have parted with the Kuga which I have thoroughly enjoyed this will be my last post on the site and I wish you well for the future

1 - 6 of 6 Posts