Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have the Kuga PHEV with the 12v battery situated in the boot. It has a recess around it that looks as though a spare wheel can be placed into it. Is there a spare wheel available and can one fit in over the battery does anyone know? Also, no battery cover was over the battery and yet a photo I have seen on a dealers website shows the battery with a cover over it.
Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I would be asking the dealer where the cover is. From the photo's I have seen it would appear that models with spare wheel do not have the cover and ones with the can of liquid and a compressor should have a cover. Years ago the spare wheel option was a dealer fit as well as a factory fit but your supplying dealer will confirm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the spare wheel option. fitted from the factory. I didn't know the 12v battery was under the wheel. Was wondering where it was! I'll check re the cover.

·
Registered
2020 Kuga ST Line 1.5 EcoBoost
23 Posts
I have the spare wheel option. fitted from the factory. I didn't know the 12v battery was under the wheel. Was wondering where it was! I'll check re the cover.
HI,
Can I ask if you'd be able to tell me what size wheel/tyre the spare is please?
This is my first car to not have a spare, thinking of getting one from "the Bay" to sling in there, just in case, so long as I have the size I'd be able to buy with confidence.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 190 diesel and kept a full size alloy spare from previous Kuga
In order to fit it face down and utilise the storage space in the wheel it was necessary to reduce the length of the boot floor fixing point so that it fitted inside the wheel centre hole
This involved cutting 3 cm off each side of the metal bracket!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would be asking the dealer where the cover is. From the photo's I have seen it would appear that models with spare wheel do not have the cover and ones with the can of liquid and a compressor should have a cover. Years ago the spare wheel option was a dealer fit as well as a factory fit but your supplying dealer will confirm.
Not sure, but I think cars with the spare wheel get the cover and those without don't. Certainly no cover on any PHEV cars I have seen so far without a wheel, so OP situation is normal

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not sure, but I think cars with the spare wheel get the cover and those without don't. Certainly no cover on any PHEV cars I have seen so far without a wheel, so OP situation is normal
I thought it was the other way around as surely a battery wouldn't be left in the boot without cover over it. There could also be the option that the dealer can offer a spare wheel even if it is a factory only fit and then they forget to fit the cover. Ideally the battery should have a cover whether it has a spare wheel or not.

Is the car battery also in the boot on the other mk3 models.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought it was the other way around as surely a battery wouldn't be left in the boot without cover over it. There could also be the option that the dealer can offer a spare wheel even if it is a factory only fit and then they forget to fit the cover. Ideally the battery should have a cover whether it has a spare wheel or not.

Is the car battery also in the boot on the other mk3 models.
You would think so but I have looked at about 5 or 6 PHEV's now and none have a battery cover when the spare wheel is not fitted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You would think so but I have looked at about 5 or 6 PHEV's now and none have a battery cover when the spare wheel is not fitted.
The battery isn't covered if it's located under the bonnet so because the one in the boot is underneath the boot floor I suppose that it doesn't need to be covered either?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The battery isn't covered if it's located under the bonnet so because the one in the boot is underneath the boot floor I suppose that it doesn't need to be covered either?
Yes agree. It needs cobering when a spare wheel is carried to avoid the risk of a short circuit across the terminals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts