Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yes, eonon don't do one that fits without some cutting of the 2din facia.
But I installed the universal eonon unit.
Works great. Even steering controls work. And since I took the radio remote signal from the canbus, the radio can be used same way as the Sony 6000 model. It was 1h without ignition. But with canbus it's around 30min without ignition.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Works great. Even steering controls work. And since I took the radio remote signal from the canbus, the radio can be used same way as the Sony 6000 model. It was 1h without ignition. But with canbus it's around 30min without ignition.
Hi Tarmo120,

Was there any significant modifications required to get the Eonon unit to fit?
Just looking at the website now. Quite a few 2 Din options to choose from, and they have a sale on at the mo with much reduced prices. Sooooooo tempted.

What was required to get the steering controls to work? I assume the controls you are referring to are on the stalk rather than actually on the steering wheel.

Cheers,

Andy T

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought this unit:
https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/2-Din-GPS-Navigation/Android-9-Pie-2GB-RAM-Quad-Core-Processor-2-DIN-Head-Unit-Support-Bluetooth-Navigation.html

The only modification was I needed to create some kind of way to mount the headunit. This is because this is a more general style, not model specific.
Also the standard 2din facia(the aftermarkter one) you need to buy, needed to be trimmed to go over the headunit face edges.

As for the wiring, I'll try to keep it short.
You get a wiring loom that comes with the headunit. One end is going in the Ford Quadlock(car side) and the other goes to the radio.
I modified it a bit. The +12V switchable(ignition) is coming not from the Quadlock, but actually thru a relay that gets signal from CANBUS. So the radio can be used just like the factory Sony 6000 can. Factory one was 1h active without ignition. Mine is 30min, because CANBUS goes to sleep after that.

As for the steering controls. I just measured which of the wires come from the Quadlock gets connected when pressing any buttons. Once I found the 2 wires. I connected those to SW1 and SW2.
Simple as that. In my car the radio controls are at the left back side of the steering wheel. On the steeringwheel I have only cruise controls.

I can guide you as best I can. But it has been a good 4 or more years since I did this.
Also, I am no electrician. I just like to google and learn as I go and do stuff :D
You know the feeling when you create something that just works.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought this unit:
https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/2-Din-GPS-Navigation/Android-9-Pie-2GB-RAM-Quad-Core-Processor-2-DIN-Head-Unit-Support-Bluetooth-Navigation.html

The only modification was I needed to create some kind of way to mount the headunit. This is because this is a more general style, not model specific.
Also the standard 2din facia(the aftermarkter one) you need to buy, needed to be trimmed to go over the headunit face edges.

As for the wiring, I'll try to keep it short.
You get a wiring loom that comes with the headunit. One end is going in the Ford Quadlock(car side) and the other goes to the radio.
I modified it a bit. The +12V switchable(ignition) is coming not from the Quadlock, but actually thru a relay that gets signal from CANBUS. So the radio can be used just like the factory Sony 6000 can. Factory one was 1h active without ignition. Mine is 30min, because CANBUS goes to sleep after that.

As for the steering controls. I just measured which of the wires come from the Quadlock gets connected when pressing any buttons. Once I found the 2 wires. I connected those to SW1 and SW2.
Simple as that. In my car the radio controls are at the left back side of the steering wheel. On the steeringwheel I have only cruise controls.

I can guide you as best I can. But it has been a good 4 or more years since I did this.
Also, I am no electrician. I just like to google and learn as I go and do stuff :D
You know the feeling when you create something that just works.
Hi Tarmo,

Thank you for the reply. The info you've provided is more than helpful, thanks.

Been doing a far amount of research, Google is my friend wink:
So it seems that there is a full fitting kit available inorder to replace the Original Ford 6000CD SONY Stereo for a Double Din unit from a company called Dynamic Sounds.
Ford Kuga 2008> Silver Double Din Car Stereo Fascia Stalk Antenna Fitting Kit

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ford-kuga-2008-silver-double-din-car-stereo-fascia-stalk-antenna-fitting-kit.html?search=fkit-ford-63

Only problem now is deciding which head unit to go for from Eonon. Fathers Day sale on at mo. I feel a purchase coming on...

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Tarmo120,

Sorry to bother you again!!

So I've finally ordered a Eonon GA2175 Double Din Head Unit, just waiting on the fitting kit (cage, fascia surround & Quadlock connector) to be delivered, then I'll get stuck in to the install.

Can I ask, do all of the steering controls work?

Volume + & -
Radio channel change
Bluetooth Voice Control
etc....

I noticed from your previous reply that only 2 wires work (to SW1 & SW2), so which of the two functions from the stalk behind the steering wheel did you choose?
My Steering wheel is the same, only Cruise Control functions on the actual wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi Tarmo120,

Sorry to bother you again!!

So I've finally ordered a Eonon GA2175 Double Din Head Unit, just waiting on the fitting kit (cage, fascia surround & Quadlock connector) to be delivered, then I'll get stuck in to the install.

Can I ask, do all of the steering controls work?

Volume + & -
Radio channel change
Bluetooth Voice Control
etc....

I noticed from your previous reply that only 2 wires work (to SW1 & SW2), so which of the two functions from the stalk behind the steering wheel did you choose?
My Steering wheel is the same, only Cruise Control functions on the actual wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Actually all of the steeringwheel controls work. I am not completely sure how(because of only 2 wires), but they work. There are a bunch of settings in the android menu to choose from. I mean buttons that you need to re-map. Just press a button on the the radio screen, and then push the button on the steeringwheel that you want to correspond to that button. Simple.
Yes, my cruise control is also on the steering wheel. And radio buttons are behind the steering wheel, on the steering column.
If you have any questions I will try to answer as best I can. But again, I am no electrician. grin:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Actually all of the steeringwheel controls work. I am not completely sure how(because of only 2 wires), but they work. There are a bunch of settings in the android menu to choose from. I mean buttons that you need to re-map. Just press a button on the the radio screen, and then push the button on the steeringwheel that you want to correspond to that button. Simple.
Yes, my cruise control is also on the steering wheel. And radio buttons are behind the steering wheel, on the steering column.
If you have any questions I will try to answer as best I can. But again, I am no electrician. grin:
Hi Tarmo120,

Managed to get the unit in and working, all but the Voice button on the steering column controls work (Mode, Volume + & -, Channel Search Up & Down).
I needed new DAB+ software to get the DAB working.
Only issue now is to find the wire from the head light switch to connect to the ILLLUM wire to illuminate the head unit).

If I have any gripes, it's that the head unit is slow to boot-up and laggy, but I have a software upgrade to install once I've finished faffing. Hopefully that'll improve it.

Cheers,

AndyT

41 - 48 of 48 Posts