Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know this is another stereo upgrade post in here but i'm stumped

So I have decided i want to get rid of the standard rubbish cd6000 from my kuga and replace with a double din aftermarket, I have read every stereo post on here and i have trawled through hundreds of adverts on ebay and WHOOOOOOOOOSH its all gone over my head and has become a bit of a blur.

I want one with satnav, connect to my iphone and still use reversing sensors and steering controls

Has anyone actually fitted one that does all this? if so what one please

Many thanks

M9G

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have just finished doing this myself on mine. I went for this:

http://xtrons.co.uk/pf75qsfap-s-7-android-5-1-lollipop-quad-core-car-dvd-player-with-screen-mirroring-function-obd2-for-ford-focus.html

it says its a custom fit but really wasn't. I had to trim a couple of plastic blocks away from in behind the stereo surround just to get it in the hole. I also had to add extra material to the locking catches as they didn't engage properly as they were too narrow. I also added a bracket and pin to the back to replicate what is on the standard Sony unit.

Saying that, now its in and working and looking the part, I'm pretty pleased with it. Sat Nav is good and uses Igo. The canbus wheel controls worked like they used to with the Sony unit and the bluetooth phone bit works well.

Hopefully it will continue working and not fail any time soon and I will be quite happy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks for that, my car has a parrot system in it, dont know how they connect up but wondering if it would connect to this, will have to look into it. also, as its android i suppose it doesnt matter that i have iphone

·
Registered
253 Posts
Iphone will still work over bluetooth.

The Parrot will be added in to the radio loom via a link cable that fits between the car loom and the head unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As Mike has said, the bluetooth part will work fine:

I have been out and took a picture of it in situ:

The silver doesn't match, but its not as bad as it could have been. I also bought a microphone and DAB dongle at the same time. The microphone is in behind the milled switch blanking plug but you could put it anywhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've done it i ordered the same as you, thought if i get stuck i got you as a good source of info

Also ordered the reversing camera
Edited by: M9G

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spudgun - how long did it take for delivery? i'm hoping to get before the weekend as its a bank holiday, plenty of time to fit it :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will help you where I can. A couple of things though, the first one might hurt a bit but you might have done it.If you sign up to there email listing/VIP club you get 15% off your first order. That paid for my USB DAB dongle.
Do you have ford stereo removal keys? You will need 4 of those.
Also you will need a micro SD to put the sat nav software on. It seems like a bit of an omission but you can download a fully licenced copy of the IGO SATNAV software from their forum for free, which they could try and sell you.
It came quick, real quick. I reckon you might get it thursday, mine came in two days.
Once you get it I will talk you through the mods I had to do to get it to fit really well, in more detail.
Also where are you in the county, I see your a Somerset fellow, like myself. We may not be too far apart, and sometimes its easier to show than explain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool your a star, no i kicked myself, i saw the 15% after it sent me back to the homepage after i paid for it, i bought it straight from your link you put up lol

I went for the reversing camera for when the wife drives it, shes useless at reversing and parking and she admits it.

Also i thought it would be a good selling feature in the future when i finally decide to sell it.

I saw you were in Somerset aswell, I'm in Frome.

Yep got loads of removal keys

Got SD cards here

Delivery in a couple of days, woohoo fingers crossed then :)

Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
theres a fault on the VIP sign up page, cant put a tick in the box so i have messaged them and told them this so hopefully they might refund the 15%

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will take the unit out tomorrow night and take a few pictures.

Frome, couldn't really be much further away in the county if I tried. I'm down below Chard just on the bottom tip of the county.

We will do what we can, though, not to worry.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your a star thanks, i'm pretty alright fitting stuff, messed with cars for years, just lost touch with it all since all these double dins, canbus etc etc appeared but now sussing it all out.

Been through Chard many a times even to Noel Edmunds animal place at Cricket St Thomas, actually your not a million miles away and if i get really stuck it would be well worth the trip down.

Only take it out if you really dont mind, pics of the mods that you did would be really helpful and i would think for other kuga owners that come across the same problems, might even be good to put the pics in the modification section, just a thought.

Cheers mate :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
no worries.

You might want to consider a separate microphone if your going to use it for calls. It has a built in microphone but I used the one they can supply for £7.99 extra. I can't comment on what its like without it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got refunded the 15%, they recognised there was a fault on their webpage for signing up to the VIP.

sweeeeeeet :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ere spudgun this might be of interest. when i messaged them that their VIP signup wasnt working they messaged me back and said use promo code VIP15 at checkout, i messaged back to say that i had already made the purchase so they refunded me the 15%

My thinking is i wonder if on all future orders the promo VIP15 will work, nice if it does :)

oh and you were spot on with a two day delivery, DPD are coming tomorrow :)

Edited by: M9G

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's good to hear, if I need anything else I will give that a go.

Not a bad guess on the delivery front, but mine was the same. I got a message from DPD next day.

Anyway, on with the pictures:

First off, protect the surround from damage. I scratched my surround, when trial fitting it, quite badly and ended up buying a new one from Ford. It cost £71 so I would avoid that again if I could.

Here are the removal keys, you will need four of them.

They go in this way around with the curved part facing inwards

in this picture you can kind of see the areas I have removed the moulded blocks from. You should be able to compare with yours once you get the stereo out.

you can remove the stereo surround quite easily and then remove that black support frame to take it away for cutting. It's the way I would go about it.

To remove the stereo surround, undo and remove the two screws you can see in the stereo apperture. The only thing holding the stereo surround on at this point are some moulded plastic clips. These are in the following photos as well, one on each side and four along the bottom. I used a 0.3 mm feeler gauge to lift these.

Once these are uncliped the only thing holding the surround on are some similar moulded clips along the under edge of the air conditioning control. Work the lower edge of the stereo surround and these should unclip. You should then be able to start to pull it away. The vents in the top will come with it.

There are three wiring connectors to remove. one for the heated screen, one for the heated rear window and one for the hazard/power button. Remove the surround.

The black structure is can now be removed. If memory serves, it is held in by 5 screws. One at the top by the power button, two right at the back, shown in the following picture, and two either side of the climate control module.

next post will be the head unit itself.

Edited by: spudgun

·
Registered
41 Posts
here's the head unit pictures

I have added some rubber edging to stop it damaging the surround when putting back in the dash but also it helps locate the head unit in the dashboard better. There stuck in place using superglue. I have a fair bit of this edging outside, so if you need some, let me know and we can sort something out.

here you can see the screws I have added to make sure the locking catches engage. They didn't straight out the box. Drilling that material is tricky. It's either spring steel or stainless steel as if it gets too hot it burns the tip of the drill bit off just like that. I used a dremel and a grinding stone in the end.

here is the rear support. Your stock unit will have one, I would think.

also I found that the head unit lighting didn't come on when I switched the lights o f the car on until I changed this wiring plug from the CANBUS side, which is how it arrived, to the convention voltage feed. Its just a case of unplugging and adding to the other plug.

Edited by: spudgun

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats brilliant mate, that was really kind of you to take it all out and take the piccys, they will be very helpful.

I have a set of those keys so thats good :)

I will post some piccys up when all fitted at the weekend

Once again many thanks for the time you have taken to help me and i'm sure theres others out there that will also find this very useful

Cheers

1 - 20 of 48 Posts