Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

Has anyone else had to have 3 software updates by the dealership 1st one was for an issue with the car not seeing the adblu and is currently in the dealers having two more for the battery going flat, it took 2 days to recharge the car's 12v battery before they could talk to the onboard computer to programme it?

its also a nightmare to jump-start I had to have the second car connected for 30 minutes before I could take the jumper leads away if Ford is going to constantly issue software updates to fix bugs they should extend cover the AA cover for 3 years

cheers

·
Registered
753 Posts
hello

Has anyone else had to have 3 software updates by the dealership 1st one was for an issue with the car not seeing the adblu and is currently in the dealers having two more for the battery going flat, it took 2 days to recharge the car's 12v battery before they could talk to the onboard computer to programme it?

its also a nightmare to jump-start I had to have the second car connected for 30 minutes before I could take the jumper leads away if Ford is going to constantly issue software updates to fix bugs they should extend cover the AA cover for 3 years

cheers

Not sure what you mean by this but you jump start with the leads connected and then remove them once the engine is running ? No need to wait for 30 minutes.

AA cover is one year and then rolling 1 year after each service / inspection for most dealers. However some such as T K Harrison do not provide this for some reason.

Slow recharge of the battery is the correct way to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to jump-start the car to get it going as the car wouldn't start, with a second battery, after the Kuga started I had to leave the second battery connected for 30 minutes even after the car started or it would cut out
it's not due a service for two years or 18000 miles

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,333 Posts
Hi @mickw-01, I appreciate you're not new but also don't have many posts.

Why not pop over to our Newbies Section and introduce yourself, while you’re there, you can read the Site Rules and fill out your car model in your signature. It helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here…..Announcement - Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had to jump-start the car to get it going as the car wouldn't start, with a second battery, after the Kuga started I had to leave the second battery connected for 30 minutes even after the car started or it would cut out
it's not due a service for two years or 18000 miles
That shouldn't be the case unless the battery is seriously discharged / damaged as the car will just run off the ISG. It obviously couldn't even 'see' the battery.
Your battery is FUBAR from the sound of it.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,749 Posts
@Gregs24

You seem to have quite a lot of knowledge….why are mk3 batteries so bad?

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,749 Posts
Ok.
From memory and winding the clock back to “when I were a lad” moment.
I’m sure I recall that 12v car batteries would just seem to last for ages without a charge and like you have stated in post, a long trickle charge works wonders.

Well that’s how I recall it and wonder if any of the “pension club” have the same memories.

Thanks for the reply

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,141 Posts
Certainly do, top up with distilled water, a good long trickle charge then vaseline on terminals, and as I lived on a hill, always parked facing downhill, just in case, as the bendix would sometimes stick as well, remember those days like yesterday

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,749 Posts
I like todays cars, there are great! But sadly the electrics seem to let the side down and as we move towards the EV evolution, there will be a greater call on them as we don’t just want the turkey, we want all the trimmings. (Turkey not used in a derogatory way but as in a good way). 🦃

·
Registered
49 Posts
I prefer modern electrics as I am old enough to remember Lucas 'The Prince of Darkness'. Their motto was 'Get home before dark'. They invented and held patents on the short circuit, the self-dimming headlamp, random intermittent wipers, the three-position light switch - Dim, Flicker and Off, and many others. If you had Lucas electrics you also had the ultimate anti-theft device!

Reactions: Gregs24

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
97 Posts
Well this is taking me back. Got say don't miss a distributor and points, what a pain. Spark plugs that needed regular gaping.
One benefit was a hidden switch on low tension side of the coil would disable the vehicle.

And cars powered by dynamos rather than alternator. Put some Cibie spots on my car, use to do lots of night time driving, if raining and spots switched on the wipers slowed to a crawl. Had to modify the car to an alternator, which at the time meant possible problems with diode packs!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ok.
From memory and winding the clock back to “when I were a lad” moment.
I’m sure I recall that 12v car batteries would just seem to last for ages without a charge and like you have stated in post, a long trickle charge works wonders.

Well that’s how I recall it and wonder if any of the “pension club” have the same memories.

Thanks for the reply
Old cars had far less electrical equipment and also when you turned them off they really were off. Modern cars with alarms and modems are never really off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Give me a modern car with all the comforts over something like a Fiat Uno where it was basically a wish and a prayer if it started or not. Rose tinted spectacles do nothing for me! :LOL:
Ironically, my mums 67 reg mk2.5 kuga and my mondeo both needed new batteries yesterday after neither would start.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,749 Posts
Nothing like manual steering and a crash box to learn you the real art of driving skills.
🔶

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
237 Posts
I prefer modern electrics as I am old enough to remember Lucas 'The Prince of Darkness'. Their motto was 'Get home before dark'. They invented and held patents on the short circuit, the self-dimming headlamp, random intermittent wipers, the three-position light switch - Dim, Flicker and Off, and many others. If you had Lucas electrics you also had the ultimate anti-theft device!
As a first year apprentice one of my almost daily jobs after checking for fuel and decent power was to replace, points, plugs and condenser on cars that were towed in after failing to cold start. If that failed then it was to swop out the Lucas RB340 regulator box.

Being young lads in the workshops always on the look out for mischief we often charged up condensers and left them lying around on counters in service reception and parts departments and waited for some unsuspecting victim to pick them up and watch them dance like Michael Jackson when the condenser discharged and gave them a shock.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,749 Posts
As a first year apprentice one of my almost daily jobs after checking for fuel and decent power was to replace, points, plugs and condenser on cars that were towed in after failing to cold start. If that failed then it was to swop out the Lucas RB340 regulator box.

Being young lads in the workshops always on the look out for mischief we often charged up condensers and left them lying around on counters in service reception and parts departments and waited for some unsuspecting victim to pick them up and watch them dance like Michael Jackson when the condenser discharged and gave them a shock.
I was had by that very gag whilst at technical college by Mr Brook I’m 1977-8 ish. It hurt!

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
1,122 Posts
I was had by very gag whilst at technical college by Mr Brook I’m 1977-8 ish. It hurt!
Might need Andrew to translate that :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
237 Posts
Might need Andrew to translate that :unsure:
I think Phil comment missed the word ‘that’ in between the words ‘by’ and ‘very’ 😂

1 - 20 of 26 Posts