Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have had my Kuga now since Sept 2008 and have around 10500 miles on clock. Since the 3rd day of taking delivery of the vehicle I have experienced a problem after driving the vehicle for a few hours with smoke coming from the engine compartment and a strong smell of burning entering the vehicle through the air vents. This can happen 3-4 times per month. The fuel economy is also around 33mpg extra urban which dissapoints me greatly. Although I love the vehicle I am fed up with the vehicle being in the garage all the time and them not being able to find out what the problem is. Has anyone else suffered these problems? Ford insist that this is not a known fault on the database. I also have a problem with the front a back light clusters leaking and misting up.

Regards to all

·
Registered
73 Posts
All I can think of is an oil leak of some sort? That would cause smoke and a burning smell. Have you ever looked under the bonnet yourself to see whats going on? I never get my car serviced at adealer. Ive been ripped off too many times. I have a great independant guy that sorts my cars out now. Maybe you should do the same? .....Your mpg is the same as mine so nothing unusual there.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob,

The Kuga is just coming up for its first service but has been back to the dealer numerous times. They assure me that they have stripped everything down and can find no leaks, fractures or anything else. One ofthe Kuga Engineer 'Experts' has it this weekend so I am hoping that they can replicate the fault. So far they have been unable to. What I do have in my favour is someone from Ford has been with me and experienced the smoke and burning smell. They were not an Engineer but at least can confirm that it does happen. Ford accept that if they do not find a fault this weekend then they are at a loss. This is what they have been saying since September. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that if they do not find a solution and if the problem continues that they will at least make a suggestion to rectify somehow.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As you say it still has a problem, so that means the dealer hasnt stripped everything down!!! Basically its dependant on what lad worked on your car and if he was truely competant. Now lets say you have a leak somewhere it needs to get to a hot exhaust manifold or down pipe. I would look there first and work back towards the engine block. I reckon if you put your car on a ramp and had it on fast idle you would soon see the leak. But you say after driving for a few hours. The dealer wouldnt be able to test your car for a few hours. Im not totally competant on that 2litre diesel but an engine is an engine. Sump gaskets leak, rocker or cam covers leak. The dipstick mount can leak. These are starting points. Its possible the fluid in the power steering is leaking onto a hot exhaust part.

My firts bad experience of a bad dealer service was greasing up the wrong parts of the door hinges, using two different spec spark plugs at the same time on my engine. Replaceing a faulty headlamp and forgetting to re-align it oh and telling me on a service that my spare wheel hadnt been used yet???

My advice is get angry in reception if you get no joy, thats when the good mechanics take notice

Good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
hi there...if your having no joy with ford or there dealers here is a couple of bodies you might wish to contact...contact details can be found on forum topic...washer bottle update.....it might startford thinking about the way it handles its customers

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've never seen any smoke but I do get a burning smell every now and again, even after six months and nearly 9000 miles. I wondered if it was soundproofing or insulation somewhere getting too hot? Perhaps something to do with the exhaust?
To be honest I haven't done anything about it - its on the list for the first service!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,
Yes I also get the 'burning' smell occasionally. I rather think it could be the particulate filter self-cleaning (as it's supposed to do periodically). Would welcome comments from others on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts