Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Kuga Ghia X - I have purchased a Noco Genius 5UK smart charger and I wanted to use the auto connect lead which has M6 1/4 in terminals to permanently connect to battery posts +/- instead of using the crocodile clips
Is it ok to attach the lead to the battery posts ?? I know you are not supposed to connect the negative crocodile clip to the negative battery post but to a ground point. Advice as to where I should attach the 1/4 M6 terminals please.It is a 5 amp smart charger and not a starter.

Thanks

·
The Detective.
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 Diesel
2,427 Posts
2019 Kuga Ghia X ?,,the last Ghia Ford Badge was on the Galaxy before the facelift in 2010,,i think.

Ross

·
Premium Member
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,564 Posts
Attach the negative to the earth terminal stud on the engine bay suspension strut tower. Wire the positive to the positive battery terminal- put a fuse inline if there isn't one provided. Wiring it that way the Battery Management System will log the charging current going to the battery and adjust the battery charging accordingly when you drive it. I've been charging mine like that for a couple of years now.

I've added a hard wired plug into the engine bay using Anderson Powerpole connectors. I can use it to plug the battery charger, tyre compressor, work light or whatever else I want. It's mounted onto the cowl where the brake fluid reservoir is secured on LHD models.

PS: Be aware the Noco chargers are only rated to work up to 40 degrees Celsius. It may not be an issue where you live.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2019 Kuga Ghia X - I have purchased a Noco Genius 5UK smart charger and I wanted to use the auto connect lead which has M6 1/4 in terminals to permanently connect to battery posts +/- instead of using the crocodile clips
Is it ok to attach the lead to the battery posts ?? I know you are not supposed to connect the negative crocodile clip to the negative battery post but to a ground point. Advice as to where I should attach the 1/4 M6 terminals please.It is a 5 amp smart charger and not a starter.

Thanks
2019 Kuga Ghia X ?,,the last Ghia Ford Badge was on the Galaxy before the facelift in 2010,,i think.

Ross
Thanks for that input, it was of course a mistake on my part and it is a Titanium X. Tell me do you have anything else that would be useful to my question ??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Attach the negative to the earth terminal stud on the engine bay suspension strut tower. Wire the positive to the positive battery terminal- put a fuse inline if there isn't one provided. Wiring it that way the Battery Management System will log the charging current going to the battery and adjust the battery charging accordingly when you drive it. I've been charging mine like that for a couple of years now.

I've added a hard wired plug into the engine bay using AMP Powerpole connectors. I can use it to plug the battery charger, tyre compressor, work light or whatever else I want. It's mounted onto the cowl where the brake fluid reservoir is secured on LHD models.

PS: Be aware the Noco chargers are only rated to work up to 40 degrees Celsius. It may not be an issue where you live.
Thanks David, that's useful information, what amp fuse did you use inline please ??
Andy Green

·
The Detective.
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 Diesel
2,427 Posts
Thanks for that input, it was of course a mistake on my part and it is a Titanium X. Tell me do you have anything else that would be useful to my question ??
Welcome to the forum,,etc

Ross

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Thanks David, that's useful information, what amp fuse did you use inline please ??
I think I put in a 25 Amp- but only because I also use that connector for a tyre compressor. Fit one that is 1.5x your charger's output current and it should be fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Thanks
Poldark
I have a CTEK battery charger like the one you describe to use on my Kuga, it also has the auto connect lead as you describe and I have had them connected directly to the battery +/- terminals for 3 years now with no problems, plugs in very quickly if you need to charge for any reason

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that, the Noco charger has arrived today and it will connect as you say, Red to + battery post and Black to - ground point by battery. I wasn't going to get a battery charger but this Kuga 2019 Titamium X was a silly buy really as it has power tailgate, heated seats and panorama sunroof... all look good at time.. but will knock **** out of the battery if used on winter short runs. I normally have a diesel and didnt realise how poor the 1.5 petrol is on power and MPG. I suspect the weight of these electric motors reduces the MPG. Need to go back to a diesel.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I normally have a diesel and didnt realise how poor the 1.5 petrol is on power and MPG.
If it's an auto always drive with it in "S". The engine and trans will respond better and it shouldn't make any difference to the fuel economy.

PS: While you can wire directly to the battery (as supplied), a fuse will help prevent a fire should the wiring short out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I fitted the charger lead this morning (which has a fuse) using the earth point you identified and the plus battery terminal. I managed to do it without breaking a connection. Funny thing is even though the battery was not disconnected, the powered tailgate opened and refused to close. I tried the 5 second reset and it just beeped. I was going to pull fuse 25 in the boot to reset it but suddenly it started working. I am amazed at how low the battery was at below 25%...charge... as I did 60 miles on the motorway this week, so worth buying the charger.

I had a Grand C-Max Titanium before the Kuga with the 1.5 ecoboost diesel engine (100) and it was better than this 1.5 petrol (150) engine in every way. Acceleration was far better and MPG was more than a third better than the petrol. I don't know the weight difference between the two, but I may change it for a diesel Kuga in New year.
Kuga 2019 Titanium X 1.5 (150) Black. (17 ins Black Alutec wheels with Cross Climates) (19 ins Vignale Wheels and summer tyres in storage).

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I don't know the weight difference between the two, but I may change it for a diesel Kuga in New year.
You'll save a bit at service time with the petrol engine as the 6F35 torque converter auto they use doesn't need oil and filter changes every 3 or 4 years like the diesel PowerShift does.

My Ctek chargers will start off registering a low level of charge but will quickly jump through the lower stages unless the battery is really low on charge.

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
465 Posts
Am I reading rite you can leave a fly lead in your engine bay connected direct to battery and charge battery that is connected to the car with this device, in other words the battery does not have to be disconnected.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes Dibble you are correct, you connect up to the terminals and then route the lead to a safe place and connect charger lead to the plug and away you go, much better than putting the crocodile clips on.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Here's my set up:

The white piece of perspex is mounted to the windscreen cowl where there are captive nuts for the bake fluid reservoir for LHD models. The negative wire runs to the earth stud on the suspension strut tower and the positive to the battery clamp iva a fuse. I used Anderson Powerpole plugs for the connection as then I can use the plug for other equipment eg. tyre compressor and a work light which I've also fitted the same plug onto.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.