Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.....has anyone parked on a slight slope while its been a bit icy and snowy, left the engine running , put the handbrake on and just go to empty something out the boot.......if not be very careful as the car car slide....this has happened to me twice on my driveway which is just on a gentle slope but im assuming because of the weight of the car the rear wheels cant seem to hold the vehicle when its icy or snowing....they just slide...ive never has this on any other car.........would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's kinda scary! I've managed hill starts on packed snow/ice on fairly steep hills in mine (AWD), mainly due to other idiots trying to make it up hills andthinking that spinning their front/rear wheels is bound to get them up there. Mine definitely did not slide backwards, but I did not hang around long to see what happens, with these sort of people about...

·
Registered
77 Posts
A friend of mine told me a couple of years back he hired a Ford S-max to go skiing in the Alps and parked the car on a snow free hill. He woke in the morning the car was at the bottom of the hill after ice had formed under the tyres and the weight of the car had slid it down the hill. The car was fine though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
My drive is on a slight slope and last year we had this happen to my wifes Clio. It ended up blocking the road as it ended up sideways between the kirbs....

Was in Warwick on last Thursday mornings snow in a contry manor Hotel. Had to drive out on virgin snow on asingle lane. I was followed by a friend in an A4 who was crapping himself and had a very hard time even getting going I just drove away from him!

I continued for 3 hours north in the bad weather without any drama at all. As mentioned by others, getting grip to go is as expected but, dont expect beter braking etc it just wont happen.

Fantastic Kuga makes easy work of the white-stuff.

Backchat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys
Parked mine last night on a friends inclined drive, the same thing happened found the car had slidto the bottom. Will leave it in 1st gear next time obviously as well as the handbrake. Must say the kuga is the best car i have had in the past 53yrs of driving.

Incidentally has anyone got a distinctive number plate, I purchased off DVLA the

number K20 UGA for £250 including transfer, looks great.

Jolly

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have had my Kuga since Nov great car ,not long after I saw one in my town with the reg K11GA must be ultimate plate for a Kuga

·
Registered
63 Posts
kuga user said:
hi all.....has anyone parked on a slight slope while its been a bit icy and snowy, left the engine running , put the handbrake on and just go to empty something out the boot.......if not be very careful as the car car slide....this has happened to me twice on my driveway which is just on a gentle slope but im assuming because of the weight of the car the rear wheels cant seem to hold the vehicle when its icy or snowing....they just slide...ive never has this on any other car.........would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this

Same thing happened to me the day after the snow fell. Had been in and out a couple of times so the snow was compacted on the drive (slight slope), parked as normal, handbrake on, wife looks out thehall window about half an hour later and tells me the Kuga's resting against the garage door! I know the brake was on, so I could only assume that it had slid on the compacted snow (aka sheet ice). Fortunately no damage to car or garage door, but I've never known another car car do this...

·
Registered
79 Posts
is it me , only had the kuga 3 days now but has any one noticed that when the centre armrest is pulled foreward its a bit difficult to pull the handbrake on 100%. mean it can be done its just a bit awkward but when its pushed back its resting place the handdbrake is eaisier to apply , if its pushed fully foreward you may ony be applyng 70-90% of the handbreak thus allowing the vehicle to creep down a gradient ? as for the weight ratio arguemnt im sure would have heard something about larger heavy 4x4s range rover ,x5s slidng on hills the press would have jumped on it ,as the weight ratio / tyre surface displacement . any veiws

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just q quick reply to capainkevey......my hand brake was fully applied but as i stated in the first instance it was snowy and the rear wheel were locked and sliding...thats why i put up this post just a warning to others

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had our Kuga less than 24hrs last month.

Parked on a slope. handbrake applied fully.

Half an hour later, car gone. Was at the bottom of the hill smashed into a parked car.

I know that the handbrake was on fully. Ford don't care.

Edited by: Urban Splash

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi Urban Splash

Welcome to the forum.

What a dreadful start you've had to Kuga ownership. What are Ford going to do about it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there.

Ford are doing nowt! Not a thing.

Hard to prove/disprove I guess. There is a similar topic in the technical section of this forum, so i has not only happened to me.

Anyway, car is fixed. Wife and I both love it!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm really pleased you have your car back and are loving it. I am most definitely going to park the Kuga in gear no matter how small the gradient!!

I have seen several posts about cars moving with the handbrake on, very scary. There is a post from someone who is in contact with Ford's customer services about this problem also in th technical section, I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi yes we experienced the same thing , it was on a 1in4 hill though while taking photos in the snow to put on here ( have a look on photo forum) the handbrake was holding the wheels but the kuga just slid like a sledge, never had this with my discovery which was heavier!? Pud.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have now alerted to gear to this problem so keep an eye out .....perhaps a bit of bad publicity will bring ford into line and make them realise customer service is important and not something they just have to do

1 - 17 of 17 Posts