Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Kuga related or even car related but just wondered if anyone has Sky Q and what your thoughts are, picture quality, reliability etc.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,438 Posts
We've had it for ages, much better than the regular Sky+ of old. Main plus point for us was that the programmes we watch all seem to be on at the same time, so you can record loads more, I think it's 5 programs and watch a 6th. Plus bigger storage, something like 2Tb.

Picture quality is difficult because I think that's more to do with the TV, if you have a rubbish TV then you're never going to get a good picture but with a good TV the picture is excellent. Plus you can have Ultra HD too. We also have the Sky Soundbox, it's made by Devialet who are a high end French audio company, it's designed to work with Sky Q, it's the same shape and much smaller than a traditional soundbar, with no need for a separate subwoofer. Sound is excellent.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it installed today. I have a decent living room tv (mid-range Sony), but I am in two minds about the picture quality. The picture on my Sony is or was exceptionally good but feel it was better with the HD box. SD is about the same but HD channels don't look as good.

Wife went to bed and said she couldn't get small sky q box going. I got it switched on to find a technical error, not connected to the internet but it said it was connected downstairs and connected to the mini box. It wouldn't switch on yet remote was working. 2 hours later finally got it going. Not impressed so far and meant I lost some time on the car. I wanted to find that dash rattle and was never happy about the sync 2 FCIM not being properly secured at the bottom and bugs me. I know why you changed the dash now.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,342 Posts
The one thing that bugs me about Q is that equipment is only “borrowed” for Q and is the property of Sky, why do they charge £50 each for extra mini boxes. On the plus side there is no additional monthly cost and no call out fee for repairs or costs for faulty equipment and faults as Sky are maintaining their kit

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,425 Posts
We had it installed after the last Black Friday deal.
Main box in the lounge and a sky Q mini box on the conservatory.
We found out that only on TV was up to the picture quality so had to buy a new tv, which had been on the cards anyway.
Bought a Hisense 55”, brilliant .

After a few days the mini box kept dropping out of signal. So booked an engineer on line. Came out next day, no faffing and changed all the boxes and found the signal was still weak to the mini box. He fitted a booster box and we’ve had no issues since.

We took the Netflix option as well, good choice!

Overall very pleased. Daughter has Disney + as well so can log in on her password.
There’s always something to watch.

You can go into the settings and alter the quality output. Ours is on the max and the tv screen looks like things are jumping out at you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
225 Posts
Yep had it since the start and TBH pretty much summed up by @andspenka
Yes i do think it "plays" up more than the old HD box, We have the error on the bedroom box from time to time
But overall i would not be without it, Run a 4K film on a OLED tv using a Atmos sound set up and it is very good.

·
2,425 Posts
Wife has the lounge and despite having a sound bar uses the tv speaker, which are very good and that’s why we got that tv.
I have a BOSE 2.1 in the conny, superb. Films and F1 sing some mighty tunes from it.

·
Registered
2015 150 Zetec Manual AWD
29 Posts
Had it since it came out with mini box in back room , booster box close by as WiFi poor at rear of house , occasionally drops out and have to reconnect.
I can’t notice the difference when watching UHD football as compared to HD , got a top spec Panasonic TV , maybe it’s our down load speed which is only 6 Mbps ?

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
We had some connectivity issues with the mini box when we first got it on wifi, the guy came back out and did some tweaking (apparently) it worked for a couple of days then went off again so I ran an ethernet cable from the router and it's been perfect ever since. Both of mine are ethernet, despite the main box being around 12" from the router.

@smartguy69 our HD picture is perfect, LG UHD tv. We actually never watch anything in UHD.

·
2,425 Posts
We were given UHD for free but never watch it as you have to go into a sub menu to select it..

It’s only on the main box where the wife watches tv....and she’s all on mastering the remote.

·
Update Ninja
3,342 Posts
You can only watch UHD on the main box and its great for the footy, just press select when notification banner comes up and its on, once its set up in the settings, gotta have a UHD capable telly though. Ive got the 2TB box and 2 mini boxes all hardwired ethernet as are the tellys. Only thing Im not keen on is the sub menu for footy where you can view scores etc on RH of screen, response is slow

·
Registered
2015 150 Zetec Manual AWD
29 Posts
You can only watch UHD on the main box and its great for the footy, just press select when notification banner comes up and its on, once its set up in the settings, gotta have a UHD capable telly though. Ive got the 2TB box and 2 mini boxes all hardwired ethernet as are the tellys. Only thing Im not keen on is the sub menu for footy where you can view scores etc on RH of screen, response is slow
Can you see a marked difference in picture quality when watching football in UHD ?

·
Update Ninja
3,342 Posts
There is a difference, but not as great as the difference from standard definition to HD, its just that bit sharper in clarity, probably more noticeable on really big tellys, mines a 49”,

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all your replies. Was busy all day yesterday so first chance to have a good review of your comments.

Looking at it today and yesterday it would appear it was my eyes that were glazed on Friday. I don't have any complaints over the picture quality and perhaps looking for something that wasn't there or perhaps not as good a signal strength for one reason or another. I could have checked that on the old system!

There are some nice features on the new system but feel that the old HD+ is better for us. My wife says the loss of the reminder feature is her main loss as she likes to set reminders and watch live as opposed to me who prefers to record and watch at leisure.

On day one the mini box crashed, wouldn't turn on and when I did finally get it to switch on the remote appeared to have lost its signal to the box, yet still controlled the TV volume. On day two the main box asked for our pin when trying to select bbc1. It also wouldn't come out of the sky sports upgrade screen. I don't have sky sports. The box failed to record F1 qualifying on ITV.

Not a good experience in 2 days so called sky saying I wanted to revert to my old system and cancel sky Q. They are unable to revert me back to HD+ as I don't meet their criteria of either not being able to use it due to it be consistently faulty, for accessible reasons or lack of signal quality. I read their T&C's and it says if I a not entirely happy they can put my system back to where it was, where possible. Cancelling my sky was not an issue and is due to end in 30 days.

I only have sky to watch BSB and WSB on Eurosport and most of the time we both find ourselves watching terrestrial TV. I have had sky since 1991 but perhaps it is time for it to go.

@andspenka - I too have my main sky box hard wired to the router which is directly behind my TV. It seemed the most sensible place to put the router. Wired is always going to be better.

·
Update Ninja
3,342 Posts
100% agree about wiring, I hate wifi, its never completely reliable and can cause all sorts of issues, my 3 sky units are ethernet connected as well as the 3 smart tellys, and now my security cameras are ethernet cabled, took a while to plan and do as I wanted to conceal cables but got there in the end, big help being a retired telephone engineer

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
My Ethernet cables are also all hidden, luckily the wall the tv is on is the staircase wall to I fitted a surface mount box just above the skirting board, the cable goes through the wall into the cupboard, around the door stencil and through the ceiling under the floorboards. I hate cables being on show, I have to close my eyes if I look behind the tv 🙈

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Ethernet cables are also all hidden, luckily the wall the tv is on is the staircase wall to I fitted a surface mount box just above the skirting board, the cable goes through the wall into the cupboard, around the door stencil and through the ceiling under the floorboards. I hate cables being on show, I have to close my eyes if I look behind the tv 🙈
You and I share more than a Kuga and a sync 2 retrofit lol. I had some oak panels made for the back of my TV unit (handy working for a joinery company) with the intention of mounting multi socket to it at the back and making it all nice and tidy. I have my office hardwired to where the router was in the dining room but then it's bridged wirelessly from there. I still get around 50/60 Mbps download so not too bad. I did think about putting an Ethernet switch in the loft as I put all the aerial cables from there to each bedroom in trunking before I re plasterboarded all of the outside walls but seems little point now with just two of us in the house. I will hard wire my office at some point but that is going to be fun.

Maybe we should post a picture of the cabling at the back of our TVs. @RonnieM should be first lol.

·
Update Ninja
3,342 Posts
You and I share more than a Kuga and a sync 2 retrofit lol. I had some oak panels made for the back of my TV unit (handy working for a joinery company) with the intention of mounting multi socket to it at the back and making it all nice and tidy. I have my office hardwired to where the router was in the dining room but then it's bridged wirelessly from there. I still get around 50/60 Mbps download so not too bad. I did think about putting an Ethernet switch in the loft as I put all the aerial cables from there to each bedroom in trunking before I re plasterboarded all of the outside walls but seems little point now with just two of us in the house. I will hard wire my office at some point but that is going to be fun.

Maybe we should post a picture of the cabling at the back of our TVs. @RonnieM should be first lol.
Need a wide angle lens for that 🤣

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
38 Posts
Had Sky Q for over a year now, although good, not as good as it should be. The equipment is cheaply made, although Sky Q itself is fine with me, 4k is pretty good to, I use a Yamaha soundbar. The fact that it is rented means it is Sky responsibility if it fails. My only complaint is standard Sky Q hub is rubbish, ER110 I think it is.

I had to use a wifi extender with it, and I lost signal in the garage, on the drive, and in the back garden. With the old Sky+ SR102, I could go to the kerb, and the greenhouse at the bottom of the garden without loosing wifi The 203/204 hubs are also better than the Sky Q hub. But all this depends upon need and want. I want sky go while sitting by the pond, I want wifi while on the drive. I want wifi in every room in the house. I did not get this with the Sky q ER110, and the only thing that changed was the hub.

My theory is that if Sky Q is only on loan, then the equipment is bound to be 'loaner' quality, I think it is the ER110,

·
Update Ninja
3,342 Posts
Thats exactly why I much prefer wiring, needs a bit of work but benefits are worth it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts