Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Front & Rear bumper panels and bottom of tailgate are now a slightly darker shade than the main body of the car, giving a slightly two shaded look to my Kuga (basically all plastic panels effected). For the record, there has been no traffic accident/paint repair etc. Just concerned this will get more noticeable with age.
The car is going in shortly for an annual service and I will ask them for advice but I always like know where I stand in order not to be fobbed off:cool:

The car has been outstanding (my 2nd Kuga ) and has not needed any warranty work and still looks good even with the two tone, just concerned that when I eventually trade it in it will effect it’s value

Has anybody else had this issue before and if so any advice to offer?

Many thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Front & Rear bumper panels and bottom of tailgate are now a slightly darker shade than the main body of the car, giving a slightly two shaded look to my Kuga (basically all plastic panels effected). For the record, there has been no traffic accident/paint repair etc. Just concerned this will get more noticeable with age.
The car is going in shortly for an annual service and I will ask them for advice but I always like know where I stand in order not to be fobbed off:cool:

The car has been outstanding (my 2nd Kuga ) and has not needed any warranty work and still looks good even with the two tone, just concerned that when I eventually trade it in it will effect it’s value

Has anybody else had this issue before and if so any advice to offer?

Many thanks.

Peter
I am afraid it is very common, not just with Ford but with most manufacturers of non premium vehicles, just take a look around any car park. The differences tend to be more noticeable with metallics and the severity depends on the primer, top colour, how many coats, spray direction,, viewing angle etc. It really is pot luck to get a near perfect match, even from new.

I may be wrong but I think the plastic panels are painted separately from the main body by sub-contractors making a perfect match extremely difficult. I think if you ask everyone on here most will say they can see a slight difference with theirs. If you ask advice from Ford then the answer you will get will be that they are all like that and to be honest they are correct with some affected worse than others. White is probably the best. Are you saying that the colour on the plastic has changed since new? If so then it may due to a production issue.

If you want a perfect match then I think the only way is to have the whole vehicle resprayed by an expert who knows what they are doing. Unless it is really bad I do not think it will affect the value but in my opinion I would not let them respray individual panels because it may end up worse than what you have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am afraid it is very common, not just with Ford but with most manufacturers of non premium vehicles, just take a look around any car park. The differences tend to be more noticeable with metallics and the severity depends on the primer, top colour, how many coats, spray direction,, viewing angle etc. It really is pot luck to get a near perfect match, even from new.

I may be wrong but I think the plastic panels are painted separately from the main body by sub-contractors making a perfect match extremely difficult. I think if you ask everyone on here most will say they can see a slight difference with theirs. If you ask advice from Ford then the answer you will get will be that they are all like that and to be honest they are correct with some affected worse than others. White is probably the best. Are you saying that the colour on the plastic has changed since new? If so then it may due to a production issue.

If you want a perfect match then I think the only way is to have the whole vehicle resprayed by an expert who knows what they are doing. Unless it is really bad I do not think it will affect the value but in my opinion I would not let them respray individual panels because it may end up worse than what you have now.
Otto Matic
Thanks for your reply and advice which is most appreciated.
I understand modern car paints are not as robust as in the past and if that is the way it is then I can live with that.:)
Pleased to say it puts my mind to rest, I also was very uncomfortable with the idea of respraying individual panels.

Just did not want to be in the position of a dealer saying you should have talked to us when it was under Warranty:cool:

Cheers

·
Registered
695 Posts
With our Fiesta, which is a Candy Blue (candy being the "best" color), if you really pay attention, you can clearly see minor differences between the metallic and plastic surfaces, I think it's unavoidable, when talking about mass production vehicles not in the upper/premium segments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Both our 2014 in moondust silver and 2016 tit x sport in the platinum white looked odd in certain lights.

Our present 67 plate Vignale in Milano Grigio matches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Otto Matic
Thanks for your reply and advice which is most appreciated.
I understand modern car paints are not as robust as in the past and if that is the way it is then I can live with that.:)
Pleased to say it puts my mind to rest, I also was very uncomfortable with the idea of respraying individual panels.

Just did not want to be in the position of a dealer saying you should have talked to us when it was under Warranty:cool:

Cheers
With our Fiesta, which is a Candy Blue (candy being the "best" color), if you really pay attention, you can clearly see minor differences between the metallic and plastic surfaces, I think it's unavoidable, when talking about mass production vehicles not in the upper/premium segments
Thanks Ace as long as mine is not unique :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both our 2014 in moondust silver and 2016 tit x sport in the platinum white looked odd in certain lights.

Our present 67 plate Vignale in Milano Grigio matches.
Thanks for reply yes Silver & White have always been tricky colours in certain lights.
My wife has a Silver 2005 Micra that still matches, must be the modern paints and assembly techniques
cheers:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts