·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
And whyever not?

Electric cars still need roads and still wear out road surfaces.

There is no magic money tree (sorry, Jeremy) so all road users need to pay.

personally I would also tax bikes to pay for all of the new cycling infrastructure being built at great expense.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And caravans

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had the same conversion with a recent uni graduate working behind the bar at my local (bless him, just starting in life)

As a green, electric is ace, electric cars are the future... etc etc.... (Geology so known as rock man!) [and a fuzzy beard]

(Record scratch time now)
Petrol and white diesel about 80% tax, (road use) red diesel (non road) and heating oil 5%,
And how are you going to differentiate house electric to boil your kettle, and electric to charge your car?

And if the grid is short we (UK) turn the coal on to take up the slack

So no revenue to provide public spending... And no coal plant is Euro 6 with or without Adblue!

I'm awaiting a answer on a postcard.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Smart meters, smart devices M/M tech will tell electricity suppliers what device you are using and you can be charged accordingly, this tech has been developed and in reality is available today. So is the fact that the electricity company can charge you different amounts for electricity you use at their choice of different times of the day, I.E. if you want to have a shower and boil a kettle at 6.30 am then they could (would) charge more for the electricity you use at that time than they would if you got up say 4 hours earlier ? Incidentally, at times of high demand, if they were suffering a shortage of available power to meet demand, they could actually remotely turn off your Fridge/Freezer/TV (delete as appropriate) or even your whole house, if they felt the requirement was there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Smart meters, smart devices M/M tech will tell electricity suppliers what device you are using and you can be charged accordingly, this tech has been developed and in reality is available today. So is the fact that the electricity company can charge you different amounts for electricity you use at their choice of different times of the day, I.E. if you want to have a shower and boil a kettle at 6.30 am then they could (would) charge more for the electricity you use at that time than they would if you got up say 4 hours earlier ? Incidentally, at times of high demand, if they were suffering a shortage of available power to meet demand, they could actually remotely turn off your Fridge/Freezer/TV (delete as appropriate) or even your whole house, if they felt the requirement was there.
Looks like there are some good reasons not to have a smart meter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's a bit early for this (imho). They should be incentivising more people to make the switch over to electric before introducing something like this.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Smart meters, meters behind-the-meter, and meters with actuators (that can actively control the device or circuit that is powered through them) have been around for years, the technology is mature, if not rather old by now. Dynamic pricing and Dynamic Load Balancing are perfectly and easily doable today, should we decide we want to implement it. But all these are tools, the issue is what you want to achieve through them, and the main goal should be energy efficiency and energy saving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts