Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story:

Car hasn't been used for a about two weeks. No problems starting the engine. Took it for a 100 miles road trip on a motorway, then back into city traffic. The Stop-Start doesn't work. It used to work impeccably. Ahem...

I did not change the battery, not I would like to, as the car works fine, except for the Stop-Start.

So, what happens if I simply re-set the BMS?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,253 Posts
The BMS should only be reset when a new battery is put on the car. There are many parameters as to why the stop start doesn't activate and not everything points to the battery needs replacing. I drove 450 miles and pulling into my drive it didn't work. 5 minutes into a journey the next day it works.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
794 Posts
Same here, can’t remember the last time my stop start worked, just saves me turning it off🤔

·
7,253 Posts
Stopped working on the wife's Mokka now it's got cold despite it having a new battery in September last year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The BMS should only be reset when a new battery is put on the car. There are many parameters as to why the stop start doesn't activate and not everything points to the battery needs replacing. I drove 450 miles and pulling into my drive it didn't work. 5 minutes into a journey the next day it works.
Fair enough, but then I'm one of those "curious guys", I'm in constant search of understanding WHY.

So, I appreciate your saying The BMS should only be reset when a new battery is put on the car, but then - I ask you WHY?

What would (will?) actually happen if I do reset the BMS and leave my old battery in. Any damage? If so, what exactly and - you've guessed it - WHY? 😄

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
Fair enough, but then I'm one of those "curious guys", I'm in constant search of understanding WHY.

So, I appreciate your saying The BMS should only be reset when a new battery is put on the car, but then - I ask you WHY?

What would (will?) actually happen if I do reset the BMS and leave my old battery in. Any damage? If so, what exactly and - you've guessed it - WHY? 😄
When the AA man fitted our new battery he reset the BMS. He did say it wasn’t essential as the systems will relearn charging cycles and usage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When the AA man fitted our new battery he reset the BMS. He did say it wasn’t essential as the systems will relearn charging cycles and usage.
Right, but I'm not fitting a new battery.

I'm asking what would happen if I simply re-set the BMS on my Kuga, with my original (old) battery in.

Any thoughts...?

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,908 Posts

The BCM logs the battery age, and will adjust the charging strategy to suit the age and condition of the battery (basically a new battery can take more abuse than a 2 or 3 year old one).

I'm use some have said if the heating is on high, headlights on for long periods etc the Stop Start will deactivate to help the battery.

Basically it's a system to get the vehicle through Type Approval and Emissions testing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BCM logs the battery age, and will adjust the charging strategy to suit the age and condition of the battery (basically a new battery can take more abuse than a 2 or 3 year old one).
That makes sense... yet my original question is still the same - what would happen if I reset the BMS on an old battery?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
667 Posts
That makes sense... yet my original question is still the same - what would happen if I reset the BMS on an old battery?

Any thoughts?
You can do it. The car will then start from scratch thinking it is a new battery. I reset the BMS on a Fiesta when the stop start wasn't working, Fully charged it (stop start still wasn't working) reset BMS and then it did work, and carried on working for the next 2 years until it was sold.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can do it. The car will then start from scratch thinking it is a new battery. I reset the BMS on a Fiesta when the stop start wasn't working, Fully charged it (stop start still wasn't working) reset BMS and then it did work, and carried on working for the next 2 years until it was sold.
Thanks, great to know! I'll do it then!

Now, I know how to reset BMS with FORScan, but was wondering if any of the methods seen on YT actually work. Apparently, the 5 X rear fog light, then 3 X hazard should do it on a Kuga, but... does it really work?

·
7,253 Posts

Now, I know how to reset BMS with FORScan, but was wondering if any of the methods seen on YT actually work. Apparently, the 5 X rear fog light, then 3 X hazard should do it on a Kuga, but... does it really work?
It works for some people. Try it and see and post back. You can check the days in service using FORScan. At some point I need to go and take some screenshots as I can't remember how to do it from memory but will know as soon as I hook the car up. It's under the oscilloscope tab.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It works for some people. Try it and see and post back. You can check the days in service using FORScan. At some point I need to go and take some screenshots as I can't remember how to do it from memory but will know as soon as I hook the car up. It's under the oscilloscope tab.
I'm using OBDLink MX+, as my OBD adapter and FORScan Lite on my Android 11 phone. Works like a charm.

I was just being curious about these "other than OBD port methods"... if these actually work. That's all.

Telephony Mobile phone Communication Device Gadget Mobile device

·
Registered
667 Posts

Yes it does work but you may need to Google for the age of vehicle as the combination changed at one point (you only have to dance around the mushroom once not twice!) If the battery light flashes you know you have done it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it does work but you may need to Google for the age of vehicle as the combination changed at one point (you only have to dance around the mushroom once not twice!) If the battery light flashes you know you have done it.
Well, I tried both "methods":

• 5 X rear fog light + 3 X hazard. Nothing happens.
  • 5 times high beam flash 3 X break pedal. Nothing happens.

FORScan did the job nonetheless ;)

P.s.: Mine's 2019 MK2.5, as per my signature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts