Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my Kuga is one of the oldist on here , I have notice this last couple of Days a warning saying
service oil on my dash

Ive done lessthan 4000 miles ,
so was very worried

Afterlooking inmy service book

and having a read

itmeans

I need a service

has anyone eles had this too!!!!

Edited by: speedy

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have now done 8,600 miles since picking it up at the end of June and I have not seen any such warning on mine. It is in the Kuga hospital today getting the passenger footwell carpet problem sorted out...

·
Registered
108 Posts
speedy said:
I think my Kuga is one of the oldist on here , I have notice this last couple of Days a warning saying
service oil on my dash

Ive done lessthan 4000 miles ,
so was very worried

Afterlooking inmy service book

and having a read

itmeans

I need a service

has anyone eles had this too!!!!
Speedy let me know how you got on with this as i've got an engineer at work who is very interested to review vehicles with this issue....

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have just had this same warning message,I have also donejust less than4000 miles. What was the problem when you took back to the garage ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well to be honist I sold it with it on and now have a new Kuga , we was told by ford
they can get it off for us anyway ,they have a code on how to remove it
they sold my old kuga last week so guess they got it off

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't know they had 'service' lights on teh Kuga like bmw? hope not as I may have to think about getting rid of it in a year or two. those sort of things are designed to make main dealers pots of money on pretext it 'needs' servicing and guess who are only ones who can put the light out? yes for a large wad of cash no doubt! it may? just be that it needs oil level topping up? and is a sump sensor saying you are about to run out of oil? in whcih case its a very expensive idea not to at least check the oil level.

·
Registered
287 Posts
will have to have a read of manual again ! as I don't want to have to service the **** thing every 4000 miles! it supposed to go up to 12000!
If I get that I will be having a few strong words with Ford motor company and I work for the buggers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

Not got a Kuga but have a Mondeo turbo diesel. I don't do many miles in my car and currently considering getting a 2.5T Kuga. But... I've had this same message on my Mondeo twice in <4.5k miles and in my case if you don't do larger journeys on a diesel it doesn't regenerate the DPF filter and can cause this message. A tell tale sign on my Mondeo is when stopping after a short journey the fans going crazy due to DPF regen.

Maybe different on Kuga but it affects 2.0TDCI & 2.2TDCI engines I believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had my kuga since October last year and have just done 12,200 miles and the 'service oil' warning has just appeared for the third time.

Each time I have taken it to the garage they tell us 'you should expect a new car to burn a lot of oil' but I have had other cars from new (including fords) and this has never happend before.

We are seriously concerned at the amount of oil the car is burning and the potential future damage/cost if this is going to keep happening every 4,000 miles.

I love the car but unless I have an explaination for this am seriously considering getting rid.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this reoccuring problem? Am I being fobbed off by the fordgarage?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe that the 'Service Oil' message is just that - a warning that you need to have a scheduled oil change, rather than anything to do with oil level. I bought a ex-demo Kuga in April with 9600 on the clock and got the garage to throw in a service as part of the deal - which I am happy that they actually did (instead of just signing the service record!). All was well until yesterday, when at 12400 milesI got this message on screen. It seems that as the service was done well before the 12500 interval, the 'nag' message was not there to reset.
I took it to my local Ford agent (not the one that sold me the car) and they were able to erase the message in two minutes - it is something like 'hold down both brake and accelerator pedals whilst pressing the power button' - but don't quote me. All is now well - no 'nag' message on start-up and oil level is constant - it has not used any oil in the 3000 miles that I have had it.

Hope your problems get sorted before too long.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thye Mrs has a 1 1/2 year oldtoyota verso, the car drank 4 litres of oil in the first 10k, since then no more, now 24k. been checked out my toyota and all fine. Some burn it to start and others don't.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think ford tires to get as much money out of people as posible, so these warning lights can be a pain...it also might come on even if you dont do 12500 miles it could be on a timer..e.g twelve months

·
Registered
106 Posts
jac said:
I have had my kuga since October last year and have just done 12,200 miles and the 'service oil' warning has just appeared for the third time.

Each time I have taken it to the garage they tell us 'you should expect a new car to burn a lot of oil' but I have had other cars from new (including fords) and this has never happend before.

We are seriously concerned at the amount of oil the car is burning and the potential future damage/cost if this is going to keep happening every 4,000 miles.

I love the car but unless I have an explaination for this am seriously considering getting rid.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had this reoccuring problem? Am I being fobbed off by the fordgarage?
My Old Freelander drank a litre every 1000 miles in its first year Land Rover said is that all they had TD4s tht drank up to 2 litres per 1000 miles so do not worry and new vauxhalls do the same

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have done nearly 8000 miles since new from Nov and no concerning messages as yet! "fingers crossed" it may be something to do as stated before in an earlier post with the long journey thing.

I have made several long journeys of around 1000 miles a trip and no probs. I do however have arip starting to show
on my Gear lever Gator which I keep meaning to take to stealers and get replaced.

·
Registered
130 Posts
BigGeord said:
I do however have arip starting to show
on my Gear lever Gator which I keep meaning to take to stealers and get replaced.

I have done 19,800 miles now and I too have noticed that there is a rip appearing on the Gear Lever Gator. I need to get mine in PDQ as it is coming up to 1 year old and I bet they come back and say that it is not covered under warranty

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine came up with the Oil Service warning last week. Nov 08, 4500 miles, luckily it was already booked in for the brake warranty work, dealer can check both at the same time.

The oil waning is apparently according to my dealer, a sensor picking up bits in the oil and then raising the alert. New cars use a lot of oil but the level in mine was fine. It might just have got a bit mucky. Cars back now running fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts