Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected the car today, they have fitted a complete new turbo unit and Ford want it back by courier tomorrow for investigation, they probably will get Garrett involved, the oil supply and pressure were OK, no signs of mechanical failure from what we could see inside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
what gave you the feeling that the turbo had seized when you was driving the car? having a turbo go that soon you maybe would not have noticed that the turbo wasnt working - unless you had some strange noises coming from the engine?<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
the bearings are inside the turbo and cant be seen from the outside via the venturi's this is where the seizure would happen... anyhow not the sort of job i would want to carry out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt,
I took the car for a run to the Derbyshire Peak District just to get used to it and get some miles on the clock, the turbo was working fine on the outward journey, pleny of low down boost & torque, you can't miss it, I then stopped for lunch, about one hour, jumped in the car and immediately knew something was wrong, max 50 mph, no torque at all, 2nd gear on simple inclines with foot flat on floor, then warning triangle on dashboard saying engine malfunction, no noises at all, phoned the dealer who said it was OK to travel 50 miles back and finally after two days of testing they declared to turbo had seized, the oil supply and pressure was OK and the turbo inside was clean and not broken, just seized, the sad thing is the dealer wil not be told the final analysis by the Ford Engineers.

Hope this answers your questions Matt

·
Registered
108 Posts
as psa build this engine for ford im not sure who'll look into its failure... its unusual for turbo's just to go like that unless there's an issue with the oil getting to the turbo and maybe obvious manufacturing issues?

The ford techies may have looked at the oil pump and could see it was working well.... did they review the oil feed & return pipes - as sometimes gaskets are misplaced and could cause blockage - the pipes are quite small so it doesnt take much to block?

If there is anything wrong with the engine's oil system i'm sure the next turbo will not last very long either?

Funny thing is when you own a petrol turbo most people will recommend you keep the engine running for a minute or so after a run... diesel on the other hand doesn't seem to get the same suggestion?

i hope its all okay for you now and you dont have any issues with this again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
On old turbo cars it was recommended to keep the engine running to let the turbo cool down as the turbo stopped when the engine was stopped. On the new dieselcars the turbo is running even after the car is stopped for a little while until its cooled down. You'll hear the sound of a turbo still spinning when the engine is stopped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Matt,
All is well at the moment and I feel it is going to be OK, just a feeling though !

It does say in the handbook to let the engine idle for a few seconds to allow the turbo to slow down before turning the engine off

Regards

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts