Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to turn off the seatbelt reminder chime? You used to be able to do it in the MK2 Focus.

I'm not one for driving around without my seatbelt. But when me and the wife go to the stable yard we have to get out and open a gate, drive through gate, close gate and then drive about 400-500 yards to the stables. So who ever has got out doesn't put their seatbelt back on. (Don't tend to put it on for the drive from stables to gate either)

Also I always let my cars run for a little while when ever I arrive at my destination, this includes the stable yard.

But the seatbelt reminder chime drives me crazy. I know we could just put our seatbelts back on, but this is a free society and I want it off for these little trips!!! It's not like I'm gonna crash and I'm on private land so I'm not breaking the law of the highway.

Is it possible to turn it off? If so how?

·
Registered
Kuga 2020 ST-Line X PHEV Agate Black. (DAP, WP, DCP).
1,000 Posts
Morph

Looked on a couple of other ford sites and found this. This is the procedure for a Ford Mondeo 02 onwards.

Try it you have nothing to lose except the chimes. Let us know if it works.

This only works on vehicles built from 4 February 2002. Before starting this procedure, make sure that: the handbrake's on, it's in Park or Neutral, the ignition is off, all doors are closed (and you're in the car), all the seatbelts are unbuckled and the headlamps are off.

[edit] Deactivating/Activating
Turn the ignition switch to position II. (Do not start the engine).

Wait until the safety belt warning indicator turns off. (Approximately one to two minutes).

Note: The next 3 steps must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.

Turn the headlamps ON then OFF.

Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times ending with the safety belt unbuckled. After this step the safety belt warning indicator will be illuminated for three seconds.

Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable belt minder if enabled.

The following sequence will confirm the belt minder is enabled: The safety belt warning indicator flashes four times per second for three seconds. Three seconds with the safety belt warning indicator off. The safety belt warning indicator flashes four times per second for three seconds again.

The safety belt warning indicator flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation of belt minder disabled.

After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had read on a Focus OwnersForum to turn the ignition on and buckle/un buckle 8 times. Seatbelt light would flash 3 times to confirm.
Seeing as the Kuga is based on the Focus I had tried this in the past, but with no luck.

Thought I would combine this way with the above. My idea was to turn the ignition on and wait for the seatbelt light to go off and thenbuckle/un buckle 8 times. Butthe seat belt lightdoesn't come on

So I just starting buckling/un buckling. Got to 8 and just kept going. But I also stopped counting

No I either did it roughly 12 -15 times or I did pause for a few seconds at 10 and then did a few more. But the seat belt light did flash at me 3 times.

Will find out tomorrow if it has worked.

If it has I will try to turn it back on and will make a note of how to do it properly.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You know what really drives me crazy, my smoke alarm, pointless because I don't even smoke?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
No just don't see the point in having a device that some (not all obviously) would find useful and warn you that you are not wearing a seat belt,and then try and find ways to disable it . . . that's all. There are a lot of idiots on the road out there, nowcall me old fashioned butI figure self preservation is actually a good thing, clearly curtlyb . . . although illegal you don't, just wondering where you live and hope it's nowhere near me or my kids.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hope your area is devoid of Taxi's as well bob, not many of them wearing seatbelts so would presume they too have disabled their warnings. curtlyb has stated that it is for off road / private road purposes so what's the problem?

Ursus

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bobuptown said:
No just don't see the point in having a device that some (not all obviously) would find useful and warn you that you are not wearing a seat belt,and then try and find ways to disable it . . . that's all. There are a lot of idiots on the road out there, nowcall me old fashioned butI figure self preservation is actually a good thing, clearly curtlyb . . . although illegal you don't, just wondering where you live and hope it's nowhere near me or my kids.

This also seems to be a dig at me.

What seems funny is that Fords put in a way of turning it off.

So I not trying to find A way. I'm trying to find THE way.

I never drive on the public road without a seat belt. It actually feels weird not to have one on.

I stated my reasons for wanting to find out how to turn it off. I do not need to explain myself further.

·
Registered
55 Posts
bobuptown said:
.............. clearly curtlyb . . . although illegal you don't, just wondering where you live and hope it's nowhere near me or my kids.
excuse me, i make a little joke about your lack of seatback-trays (which, lets be honest, you really need to let go) and now i'm accused of supporting none seatbelt wearer's and illegality........
You really need to get a bloody grip and read this entire thread again at which point you'll realise that i've not made any comment on the original post, illegal driving, belt alarms, seat-belts etc etc..... so why am i a danger to your kids ????????

I'm becoming more convinced by the day that your seatback-trays are forcing you to lose your grip on reality and that the only danger to your kids is you and 'tray-rage'

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm guessing that me and many other forum users would be very happy to avoid a flame war here...

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hi curtlb As a known wind up merchant, a reaction is better than no reaction . . . . . . . reel em in I'll put that rod away now. Lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

new member, well I found my way here because I'm looking for a "fiX" which is the exact opposite of the reason for this thread.

But keep reading the reward is at the end possibly.

Anyway, I've got a mk2 Focus Zetec climate 55 plate, and the warning light and chime for the front seat belts have stopped working. Done the cluster diagnostics thing, and the red illuminated seat belt icon does work, and the chimes work for leaving lights on and such. So the problem lies elswhere, and I'm still on the search for the answer.

BUT, if the mk2 Focus fix to disable the seat belt chime works for Kuga's [and I don't see why it shouldn't] here it is from the mk2 user manual........buckle up and within 3 seconds unbuckle....and that's it.

Obviously this is a one trip fix, meaning it goes back to the default warning at the next ignition fire up. In fact it may need doing again in a jump out of the car to open a gate operation scenario as described earlier.........I don't know I have not tried it, as my warning set up has stopped working.

I hope it helps, bye.....

but if any of you ever come across the answer to my problem PM me.

catch

Edited by: catch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts