Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Hope someone here can shed some light on my issue.

Ford Kuga MKI 2.0 TDCi

Yesterday when driving home, I accelerated hard in second gear and got this quite loud screeching noise. It also happened in 3rd gear and I think 4th as well, although by this time I was going a bit more gentle, so it was a bit more faint.

The car was not cold, and I have heard this noise a couple of months ago, but it was much more faint and just thought it was the turbo spinning. The noise now was very loud and more screech than scream or whoosh.

So when I got home, I popped the bonnet and got someone to rev it high to see if it would make the sound again and it did while stationary. I couldn't pin point the noise from the engine bay but it was much more from the drivers side near the wheel, bottom end of the car, so bottom end of engine on right side I'm guessing.

I've read that it could be split hoses going or coming from the turbo but this was on other models of Ford.

Anyone experienced this and or have any clues as to what it might be? Any hints or tips where to look or what it might be would be deeply appreciated!!!

Thanks for reading.

Mo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm thanks for the reply ray. The hasn't gone through water, but the engine bay had been jet washed due to some engine oil leak somewhere. This was done a few weeks ago by some garage. I never think it's a good idea to jet wash an engine. Having said that though, I did hear this noise before it had been washed, just worse now.

If it is a slipping belt on the alternator, how can I sort this out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the alternator being quite visible in the engine bay, the noise didn't seem like it was coming from it, but it was more evident from the drivers side wheels area, towards the bottom.... Would this still point towards the slipping belt on the alternator?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Definitely sounds like the fan belt. Which isn't really the fan belt on modern cars but the belt that drives the alternator! It's slipping. Two fixes. One spray the belt with a silicone based spray, and or get it adjusted or changed. Not expensive either way.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Spray a little water on the belt and see if it stops.As someone says above, a belt dressing (spray) may help.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
When that noise only occurs on hard acceleration and big revving, I would check boost leaks.
Yes it could be alternator belt, but also could be a small hole in the boost/turbo hose or even the intercooler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies guys. I'll have a look over the weekend and report back with my findings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I actually managed to have a look today. I started by looking at the belt and pullies and noticed that on the bottom pulley there is what appeared to be bits of belt/rubber stuck in the grooves. I managed to scrape out a bunch. The belt also doesn't look too great so hopefully will have this replaced this weekend.

I vaguely checked the pipes but didn't notice any splits so I'm contributing the noise to the belt slipping due to the grooves having hits of rubber stuck in there.... So good call to all those who said this is what the issue might be.

I'm just hoping getting the belt replaced sorts out the issue. Although I don't see how replacing the belt would solve the screeching noise under acceleration. Obviously while the belt is off we will try and see if any other of the pulley wheels have crap stuck in the grooves.

The wheels also seem to be squeaky when turning due to the engine being washed and I have sprayed some wd40 on them but the noise just comes back.

Any other tips of things to look out for or do while the belt is off and being changed?

Thanks

Mo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay little update.

Today we changed the belt and fitted a new tensioner too which got rid of the little squel it was making HOWEVER the bloody annoying screeching under acceleration is still there!

So I got under the car while someone gave it revs and around 2500+ the screech happens. Quite annoying. The noise is coming from the backside of the engine it seems, in the depths that it's hard to reach. I see a whole bunch of pipes etc, there was a pipe right at the bottom which is coming from the intercooler and there is a silver looking thing in the middle of the pipe, but it's not that that the noise is coming from..... It's from higher up somewhere.

Can anyone think what else it could be? It's driving me nuts! I'm thinking it might be the turbo... But it seems to drive okay but it's the only thing I can think of.

I might make a YouTube video of the noise so you guys get a better idea.

Thanks

Mo. Edited by: Mo.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi, can you can get to the turbo to see how much endfloat there is on the shaft, there may be some minor perceptible play that you can feel but if it seems to move a lot or you can feel it binding it could be the problem, especially if it hasnt had its oil changed regularly or the engine been switched off prematurely after a run or climbing an incline, regards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi thanks for the input king kuga. I recently bought this car used and while on the test drive it seemed okay the problems started one month in, and they came thick and fast.

The dpf and pressure sensor has just been replaced. Also just had another service, the oil was disgusting. From spending some time in the engine it seems this car wasn't looked after properly. It's got 78k on the clock.

With you mentioning if the oil hasn't been changed regularly makes me think even more that's it's the turbo for sure. I won't have any time at the moment to get a look at it. To me it seems quite a tough part to get to....am I right in saying that? Do you know if changing the turbo is an easy job? I might just see if I can look at it tomorrow if I know where to look if the weather is dry.

Thanks

Mo.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I don't think that reaching the turbo is that easy. It is located behind the engine under the egr cooler.
But bad oil can cause major issues with turbos as stated before. Also the noise could come from the turbo.
As with higher rpm the turbo is working harder and have more load on the turbine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is exactly what I'm thinking tarmo. I really ended up with a lemon.

How would one go about getting to the turbo then? How would ford/garage do it? As I'd like to get a feel of the endfloat as king kuga mentioned.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have looked from beneath, but there really isnt much room.
But when you remove the egr cooler system from the top of the rear side of the engine, there is quite alot of room.
Perhaps you can ask from the dealer where to approach, or someone here can suggest below or above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did plan to remove the egr valve and inlet manifold to give them a clean as I can only imagine what horrible state they must be in given the dpf was blocked and had to be replaced and lack of oil changes/maintenance to the car from it's previous owner.

Been reading around the internet and removing the turbo seems like a big job. Something about having to remove the AWD components or something as well? Also that when replacing the turbo, you need to replace banjo bolts? and clean out the sump and also check the injector seals....here's some info I copied/found

'When the turbo is replaced on these cars it should also be accompanied by new banjo bolts and new turbo feed pipes and I believe a sump clean out, as the root cause of the turbo failure can be loss of oil supply to the turbo and hence a straight turbo replacement will be followed by a another turbo failure.'

That info was for a Ford Focus but I'm assuming it applies to the Kuga too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same fault and symptoms (Squeaking/squealing noise seems to be coming when I'm turning right on the steering wheel, even slightly. When turning back even slightly left it appears to stop). There is a nut at each of the suspension lower ball joints, located behind each wheel. One of the nuts was turned the wrong way, touching the wheel plate. Definitely not the wheel bearing as this fault creates high pitch screeching. Wheel bearing is low pitch whining noises. *** Check the lower suspension behind each wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Symptom:- Squeaking/squealing noise, while car in motion/accelerating or more noticeable while turning left or right. There is a nut at each of the suspension lower ball joints, located behind each wheel. One of the nuts was turned the wrong way, touching the wheel plate. Check the lower suspension behind each wheel. Squeaking/squealing noises can have you on a merry go round, and unnecessary costs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts