Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aarrgghh! At some point yesterday I loaded something into the boot of my Kuga and took a small chunk of paint off the top of the rear bumper. I noticed it today whilst washing the car - and it's clearly showing the white underneath my lovely panther black. The damage is about a 2-3mm wide and 7-8mm long.
I originally thought the rear bumper protectors for the Kuga might look crap but I'm now convinced by them :) However, I need to get it repaired...has anyone used any of these mobile blokes like ChipsAway or similar? I'm rather hoping it won't cost me a fortune to repair.

Any advice or experience of these chaps would be very useful - thanks.

Martin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Martin,

Please do not have this repaired by the mobile brigade""¦.They might be OK for a stone chip but that's it.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
They normally work outdoors, have very little in the way of environmental protection, and can not guarantee the work in the same way as an approved Ford dealership.

You have raw-plastic exposed which need professional refinishing. The clear coat will need some elastic additive to keep it flexible (for expanding in the heat and flexing etc).

You need to have this fixed properly to preserve your investment. Do the right thing, pay for a professional repair.

P.S. I work in the automotive repair industry. We supply Ford factories with coatings and the Ford dealerships with virtually the same technology for the repair process. Ford work hard at repairing cars correctly and do a good job with the correct products and equipment.

Do the right thing, don't mess with a professional process, would you let Fred in a lock-up tune your Kuga ??

Backchat

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the kind of response I was half expecting - and not surprising really. I've no idea how much this repair is going to cost me though.

When you say professional repair then, are you talking about refinishing the whole of the panel or can the damage actually be repaired?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi again,
It may be possible to perform a partial repair but, just depends on the location of the damage. The worry is that part-repairs can show up (the edges of the clear coat join) in one to two years time or faster if you car wash or polish with an abrasive polish. The whole bumper can be repainted for sensible money...look after your invesment and get some protection stickers over the exposed bumper (could buy a "bumber-bib")...www.bumperbib.co.uk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts