Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post, but long time lurker and former owner of a Mark 1 (which i loved so much i bought a Mark 2). I'm not loving it as much

One of the issues i have is that my Mk 1 had no rust at all on the brake calipers in the two years plus i owned it. My new one was registered on the 28th March 2013 and they are really rusty. I opted for 19 inch alloys and it's hardly a great advert for Ford seeing rusty brakes sitting behind such lovely wheels.

I appreciate it's just cosmetic but i never had it before and i've looked at lots of recent Fords when it was in for other broken stuff (rain sensor,creaking door seal on B pillar) and the only similar one was a 2005 Fiesta

Am i being too picky about my £33K car?

·
Registered
665 Posts
No I don't think you are being too picky at all, I wouldn't like them on my kuga. I hope mine don't go that way. Have you got a crack in your brakes as well ? Anyway that's my two pence worth in. The wheels look great tho
Edited by: MadDog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MadDog, that pic is the worst but all of them show similar signs. I don't think there's a crack, it's just the casting (if we're looking at the same thing off centre, right).

I'll put the other pics up shortly...waiting for Ford to ring back.

Thanks,

Shaun

·
Registered
755 Posts
They seem to have gone very bad in a short length of time, any particular product you could be washing the wheels with causing it, just a thought.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You're welcome Shaun, also winter is almost here they will get worse with all the salt and rain etc. I hope you get a answer from Ford in your favor, keep us posted please if you don't mind. Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You've got me thinking now, Ours was registered at the end of Jan 2013 and I don't remember any rusty calipers, as they can be clearly seen through the alloys.

Will check them tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks like it's the acid in the product you or the car wash use it only has to be used once it take the coating off the calipers and the the rust comes I'd be asking for new calipers see what ford say about it , my mate had a rs focus calipers looked just like yours and wouldn't warranty them let us know how u get on

·
Registered
68 Posts
Checked mine and they appeared fine with no rust, as and when they do go rusty i'll just paint them, as they are clearly visible and could potentially make the car look tatty.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
You mean this isnt a crack in the casting?

·
Registered
68 Posts
To be honest, I just looked at the general condition, i'll have a proper look at the area you've highlighted in the morning.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
If it is a crack, thats been on from new, so fitted from new. wit the crack The discs dont look blue to suggest the brake was binding and heat had caused the crack, but as its cast the crack wouldnt stop it would have a continuous fracture and fall apart.

Maybe the calipers were rejected and discarded in manufacture and thrown in the recycle bin, but the shortage of parts made them pull them from the reject bin. Still someone is QA allowed them through, even worse the guy fitting them didnt notice it either.

But the serious rust could be from Acid. Ford could reject a claim for using too much acid. They disputed claims on TPM on Mondeos suggesting agressive cleaning agent being used, and causing the disimlar metals of the valve cap and valve corroding and fusing together. The designers seem to have fogot the teaching in primary school that disimilar metals react with each other with an electrolyte such as road salt solution, for goodness sake.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Unlikely to be a crack more likely a flaw in casting,and Ford would have sourced the castings from a contract supplier where quality control would have picked up on a crack as Ford quality control would reject not just that casting but all the castings in the batch the supplier sent so a costly issue for the supplier and no way would Ford use reject parts on a new car build,why have they gone rusty? likely something aggressive used to clean

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Somewhat bizarrely I can get a clearer picture on my Galaxy S4 phone than I can on either of my works & personal laptops!

Anyway cutting to the chase on my laptops to me it looked like a dark line with some deformation to the right of the line.

But now having been able to see the picture more clearly it's not a crack or a deformation it looks simply looks like that's how the section in question has been designed like a type of indent which the shadow/poor image makes it out to look like something else.

Will be interested to hear the outcome when it's been visually checked again.

As for the corrosion/rust this happened to the Mk1 & there's a couple of threads knocking about on here which contain photos on how to set out painting the brake callipers, I seem to recall one of the threads was started by quatroxquatro.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all,

Sorry i've been away with work and then away for the weekend. Firstly, many thanks for the comments and discussion points. I can confirm there's no crack there

Here's the other pics as promised. The dealer has rang me and told me they aren't prepared to do anything. Ford rang on Friday and left a message to say they would call on Monday..i'll let you all know the outcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot the point about the cleaning product.

These were like this when i purchased it as an ex demonstrator. I can't vouch for what they used but the dealership said nothing special was used on the wheels.

I'm a keen detailer so i never use any acidic cleaner on my wheels.

If the worst comes to the worst i'll paint them after the winter but i still don't think it's a great advert for a car that's 6 months old. The dealer did say that they have had lots like that but he was probably fobbing me off. :(

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->

What was
the outcome on this.

When I
referred to a crack, as it's a casting it would have continued as a fracture so
not a crack but a fault in the casting as you say, and from new. Poor QC
somewhere unless its acceptable by whoever made them or Ford QC were
happy to accept them.

Strange the
calliper has much less rust than the calliper support, and clearly the metal finish
on the support is much greyer than the body. Were the callipers replaced because
of rust after the car had been stood for a while. Doesn't look particularly good,
and the dealer doesn't seem to be much help or bothered that your not happy
either.

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if !mso>< id=":38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's still ongoing unfortunately.

Ford have stated that as it's not under warranty they won't do anything and it's essentially the end of the road for my complaint. The dealer was completely uninterested and said it's normal and he'd seen it on many Kuga Mk2's.

Naturally, i don't accept any of this. It's gone up their Relationship Management structure for a decision. They left a message today to say i'd have a decision by Wednesday next week.

TBC,

Shaun

1 - 20 of 55 Posts