Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga 2014 1997cc Diesel Titanium Auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
We changed from a Volvo xc60 to a 2014 Kuga to tow the caravan, and the running lights on the caravan no longer come on since doing so. We replaced the old double towing electrical plug for the modern one by a reputable company, so assume that the electrics are all ok. This may sound a silly question but does the car have to have running lights for the caravan's to work? Apologies in advance, but that seems the logical answer. The car lights are always on the automatic switch.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
It could be the Kuga's DRL's (daylight running lights) operate differently to the Volvo but I will leave that for one of our experienced caravaners to confirm.

In the meantime please have a read of the link below and update your car's details in the signature section. It will save you having to say what you have in any future posts.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,836 Posts
Running lights on Volvo's work differently to most, the Kuga only work on the front. They don't put the rear lights on like they would on the Volvo. Next time you hitch up, turn your lights on to the sidelight position and your caravan lights should light up.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
81 Posts
So caravan has 13 pin plug, you fitted 13 pin socket to the Kuga.
If you really want permanent running lights on the caravan, ask whoever wired it to connect the sidelights as running lights when the IGN is on. I suggest using pin 12 (which is vacant) and a relay. So when IGN is on, L&R sidelights supply from the Kuga are open circuit, and sidelights are powered as running from the IGN. When IGN is off sidelights are closed circuit, and work as normal.

Unless anyone has a better idea.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Must admit I've never heard of a caravan with running lights .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be the Kuga's DRL's (daylight running lights) operate differently to the Volvo but I will leave that for one of our experienced caravaners to confirm.

In the meantime please have a read of the link below and update your car's details in the signature section. It will save you having to say what you have in any future posts.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums
Running lights on Volvo's work differently to most, the Kuga only work on the front. They don't put the rear lights on like they would on the Volvo. Next time you hitch up, turn your lights on to the sidelight position and your caravan lights should light up.
thank you - didn't think of that!! We will try it on our way home tomorrow!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So caravan has 13 pin plug, you fitted 13 pin socket to the Kuga.
If you really want permanent running lights on the caravan, ask whoever wired it to connect the sidelights as running lights when the IGN is on. I suggest using pin 12 (which is vacant) and a relay. So when IGN is on, L&R sidelights supply from the Kuga are open circuit, and sidelights are powered as running from the IGN. When IGN is off sidelights are closed circuit, and work as normal.

Unless anyone has a better idea.
That sounds a good idea, we will speak to the guy who changed over the cabling and see if he can do that for us. Many thnaks

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,733 Posts
Our caravan running lights work but the Kuga had proper dedicated electrics fitted with the 13 pin plug and towing module.

If you're Kuga had twin 7 sockets then it's an aftermarket kit and wiring could be "interesting".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our caravan running lights work but the Kuga had proper dedicated electrics fitted with the 13 pin plug and towing module.

If you're Kuga had twin 7 sockets then it's an aftermarket kit and wiring could be "interesting".
yes, apparently they were!! the guy who changed it over was not impressed with the wiring at all, but did a brilliant job for us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anspenka ...........Brilliant!! thank you so much - yes with the sidelights on the running lights work - I'd bake you a cake in thanks if I could!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts