Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today we travelled from Newcastle down to Birmingham to see family, but as we bought the dogs we needed to use a roof box, so I was able to borrow one from a neighbour friend - but it is massive, 540l I think - more than we really needed, ended up bringing more stuff. First time I’ve used one and it happens to be severe weather from storm Dennis!! Bit nerve wracking, can look at it through the sunroof - very wobbly at the front because of the overhang I guess, faring wouldn’t have helped even if I had one. All seems ok though, will check fixings before we go home.
Edit: only got 35mpg; was tough going into the wind, 60-65mph most of the way!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That's massive. Looking at it, the air would be flowing up the windscreen and smacking into the bottom of the front of the box. Probably not helpful for fuel economy. You can't really move it back further though as the tailgate would hit it when opening fully.

I've got a 320l (?) low profile pod that's a better fit on the Kuga. I mount it as far back as possible to try and reduce drag from the air flowing up over the windscreen. It's only really useful for light loads eg. clothes packed in soft bags. I've used it on long trips in heavy rain and never had issues with anything getting wet.

(Images won't load for me so the above picture probably hasn't worked.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I’ll look at a 470l that’s lower profile and also opens both sides for easier fitting, not keen on the overhang. You’re right, I think I could only put it about 2” further back to avoid tailgate when open!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an RBX 4500 close on 6' long but slightly shallower than the 5400, no problems with mine when driving, only down side is the side loading, takes a bit of a reach to open it fully and I make sure it is propped so as not to get wacked with the lid, stays aren't really up to the job of keeping the lid up....!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How did the dogs like it in the roof box. That’s how it reads! Soz couldn’t resist.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did the dogs like it in the roof box. That’s how it reads! Soz couldn’t resist.
Well I was tempted to put them in it to be fair 😂
And with the size of it I will keep checking for stowaways before the trip back and if we stop at services!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah I think I’ll look at a 470l that’s lower profile and also opens both sides for easier fitting
Don't forget you're limited to around a 50kg weight limit (IIRC) including the crossbars and box.

Picture of mine below- great for aerodynamics and getting in/ out garages with it fitted. Not so good for fitting bulky items in. It actually has recessed sections in the base for the crossbars to fit in, so sits close to the roof. I stand on the rear tyre (or open the rear door and stand in the opening) to load/ unload.

I've had it for a long time- this would be the 3rd vehicle I've used it on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget you're limited to around a 50kg weight limit (IIRC) including the crossbars and box.

It actually has recessed sections in the base for the crossbars to fit in, so sits close to the roof.

I stand on the rear tyre (or open the rear door and stand in the opening) to load/ unload.
Yeah 50kg isn’t much really :(

Would like to get one recessed like that if I can find one

I also stand on the rear tyre and/or child seat base that’s in place - most trouble was installing the far side clamps though!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use a bit of gaffer tape to hold the 'u' 'bolts' to the cross bars whilst fitting the 'nuts', easy peasy.............

Better still - Fix box to roof bars then hoist the whole lot onto the roof rails ? have done it that way, easy...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Picture of mine below- great for aerodynamics and getting in/ out garages with it fitted. Not so good for fitting bulky items in. It actually has recessed sections in the base for the crossbars to fit in, so sits close to the roof. I stand on the rear tyre (or open the rear door and stand in the opening) to load/ unload.

I've had it for a long time- this would be the 3rd vehicle I've used it on.

View attachment 3418
Has that white car bumped into yours.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Has that white car bumped into yours.
No. It was taken on a sea ferry and they have people directing you to park ridiculously close together. It was a case of hoping people knew how to apply their hand brake properly and praying for smooth seas!

Would like to get one recessed like that if I can find one

I also stand on the rear tyre and/or child seat base that’s in place - most trouble was installing the far side clamps though!
Mont Blanc is the brand (as per the photo) but it would be probably over 10yo? I was considering getting a second set of cross bars and leaving them permanently attached to the box. I've got the box on a rope and pulley system suspended from the ceiling in the garage- so it can be lowered down onto the car's roof.

This looks similar in design and size (note it says the box itself is 11kg, then you've got the weight of your cross bars as well):

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Return journey was a little better, 43.6 mpg- was 45mpg for more than half way but then the wind and rain came back!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No. It was taken on a sea ferry and they have people directing you to park ridiculously close together. It was a case of hoping people knew how to apply their hand brake properly and praying for smooth seas!
I had the same when I put my car on a train in Austria. I had inadvertently set my satnav to shorter distance and found myself in what could only be described as a quarry with a rail track and a small station. You had to leave your car and then go sit in a carriage. Wife was not too pleased but then asked to sit next to the window so she could enjoy the view. I dare not tell her she would only be able to look at a tunnel wall. It must have been a good ten miles going through the mountain and brought me within 5 minutes of my sister's house. Lovely scenes though getting to the quarry as it took me through the ski resorts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts