Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have issues reversing a petrol auto up hill?

I have a short, not too steep,uphill drive which I reverse at an angle onto. I have noticed that my Kuga (petrol, awd, auto) doesnot appear to like it. Once I am starting the ascent, if I stop when I start to move there is a noticeable lag between throttle and movement. Is this the torque converter winding up, or just the lack of torque from the petrol engine? Then the car moves quicker than I would like when it decides to.
Also when I stop in the reverse process the car will creep forward although still in reverse.
I hope my description is not too rambling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will try again. Just realised I posted a statement not a question. Red wine moment!

Does anyone have issues reversing a petrol auto up hill?

I have a short, not too steep,uphill drive which I reverse at an angle onto. I have noticed that my Kuga (petrol, awd, auto) doesnot appear to like it. Once I am starting the ascent, if I stop when I start to move there is a noticeable lag between throttle and movement. Is this the torque converter winding up, or just the lack of torque from the petrol engine? Then the car moves quicker than I would like when it decides to.
Also when I stop in the reverse process the car will creep forward although still in reverse.
I hope my description is not too rambling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not noticed any lag on movement if I stop, if I hold it on the foot brake it doesn’t roll forward when released but needs quite a lot of throttle to reverse, which does make it move pretty quick when it goes. Don’t quite understand the bit about the creeping forward, is this when you take your foot off the brake without enough revs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you got 'hill start assist'? This holds you on the hill without brakes until the revs are high enough to start moving (so you don't roll back/forward).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not noticed any lag on movement if I stop, if I hold it on the foot brake it doesn’t roll forward when released but needs quite a lot of throttle to reverse, which does make it move pretty quick when it goes. Don’t quite understand the bit about the creeping forward, is this when you take your foot off the brake without enough revs.
That sounds right. i haven't triggered hill stop assist as the take off from stationary is fierce when you only have a small space.
Having transmission fluid and filter changed in a pair of weeks. Lets see if that helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fuond hill start a little too violent when coming off. I try not to use it when parking on drive due to limited space and close proximity to house:eek:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know this will infuriate kugonians of the petrol model but it is not intended to.

I think you mentioned the “torque” factor and yes I believe that plays a great role in the matter. If you have a large petrol model then that should apply as well.

I do an exercise with ambulance staff and have then reverse up an Hill. I let them do it first with no guidance and the slip the clutch, Rev the nuts off the engine etc.
I then show them, just let the clutch out and off it tootles up the hill on tick over.

I wish I could photo their faces as they have no idea that can take place. Ok, some hills require a tad of throttle, but they are few and far between.

I’m not sure on the petrol auto model clutch but there is no slip on the diesel powershift. If it is a fluid filled clutch then you always need some refs to maintain the “lock grip” between the oils molecules. You can tell how long a go it is since I stripped one down on a bus, very good as they were huge things.

Is that how a torque converter works, I’m sure it is. A nice nerd will let me know if I’m talking 💩 again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have found that anti stall on my diesel manual Kuga doesn't work all the time. I have stalled the car twice in 12 months of ownership. Its a long time since I owned an automatic but last one I had you had to keep your foot on the brake to stop it creeping forward or backwards. With hill start assist I would have thought that once the car is creeping forwards or backwards the hill start assist will turn itself off.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Reversing up my driveway I give a quick "stab" on the accelerator to get it moving up over the kerb. The same with driving it forwards up car ramps. It's not much different to driving a manual really- where you'd give a few more revs before partially engaging the clutch in the same situations.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have found that anti stall on my diesel manual Kuga doesn't work all the time. I have stalled the car twice in 12 months of ownership. Its a long time since I owned an automatic but last one I had you had to keep your foot on the brake to stop it creeping forward or backwards. With hill start assist I would have thought that once the car is creeping forwards or backwards the hill start assist will turn itself off.
In my experience (diesel) the Electric parking brake and HSA release as the revs reach 1500 rpm...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That sounds right. i haven't triggered hill stop assist as the take off from stationary is fierce when you only have a small space.
Having transmission fluid and filter changed in a pair of weeks. Lets see if that helps.
Transmission fluid changed and felt better changing gear all round. Getting onto drive a little easier.

Filter not done as it is "non servicable". It is built in.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Transmission fluid changed and felt better changing gear all round. Getting onto drive a little easier.

Filter not done as it is "non servicable". It is built in.
How many miles has it done?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That seems to be the same mileage that they state on the USA forum as being the ideal time to change the transmission fluid.
Even though Ford claim it's good for 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That seems to be the same mileage that they state on the USA forum as being the ideal time to change the transmission fluid.
Even though Ford claim it's good for 150,000 miles.
I did think it a bit of a short period. I won't push it though. Got to keep the old girl for another 4 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts