Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Tim, and just purchased a new Kuga here in Japan. I just love the little beast, but when I took the test drive (and got a small speeding ticket during such) I never thought to try reverse. The chime that automatically comes on when backing up wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't so loud! is there a way to turn it down, or even remove it? Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome, can't help with your query as I'm awaiting my Kuga, but I will follow responses with interest.

It's a great site and someone will definitely help you.

Please go on the Kuga map thread and put your location down. We have one in brunei, so need more global presence!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum

I am sure somebody here will will be able to tell you about the parking sensors. I must admit I find mine a boon when reversing into tight spaces. I think they are made loud so that you get the message that you are getting too **** close. The rear view from the kuga is not the best around and privacy glass doesn't help.

Take a look at the Kuga map thread and place your marker,I think Kuga Prime is feeling a little lonely in Brunei and would welcome someone else closer to home.

Try and post some pics, Japan has some stunning locations which would be great as a back drop for your Kuga

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Tim!

Your avatar reads 'Peace' if I am not wrong :).

I have yet to collect my Kuga, so cannot offer my advice. Even so, my reverse sensor is dealer fitted, it never came with the Kuga, so may not even be relevant at all.

Feels great to finally have someone in Asia too. As bayman said, I am lonely here lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tim said:
Hello, my name is Tim, and just purchased a new Kuga here in Japan. I just love the little beast, but when I took the test drive (and got a small speeding ticket during such) I never thought to try reverse. The chime that automatically comes on when backing up wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't so loud! is there a way to turn it down, or even remove it? Thanks for any tips.

This was taken direct off the installation CD that came with the sensor kit.

The volume for the acoustic distance warning
can be individually adjusted and saved using the
volume control.
To enter the volume mode, the diagnosis wire
(orange cable) has to be connected to ground
first. Switch on ignition.
Then disconnect the diagnosis wire from ground.
If the reverse gear is not engaged, then the
volume control for the front display is slowly
altered from loud to quiet.
If the reverse gear is engaged, then the volume
control for the rear display is slowly altered from
loud to quiet.
As soon as the diagnosis wire is connected to
ground again, the volume level settings last used

(rear & front) are saved.

Hope this helps, Mike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to add to that, I fitted the sensor kit back in the begining of September as I found reverse parking a tad difficult and did not want to damage the rear bumper panel, one month on andI could not do without it now, I find reverse parking so easy with the kit installed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,The posts above refer to after market kits. Have you got factory parking sensors? You can tell if you have the bespoke switch below the gear lever. If you have then I dont think you can turn it down.
However hitting the switch after selecting reverse will disable it. As above posters say,We find it incredibly uselful kit.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Is it the reverse sensors as they only chime when they detect something close, you say it comes on when you select reverse, it's not an audible warning for someone outside the car (pedestrian) to warn you are revering is it

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wrap the sensor with material or something that will muffel it [such a word?]
Or turn the radio up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey KugaPrime! Yes, my avatar does mean "peace," as well as "harmony." It's also the name of the current imperial era. The Showa era ended about 25 years ago, and tat word means peace, as well. I only chose that avatar from a list of availables. I intend to replace it with a photo of my nice black Kuga (with the Japanese license plate (tag?) for variety! And I agree with the loneliness art of living here...not that I would change my situation, just there are few people to relate to. You're in Brunei? You're the first person I've met living there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the response, and all the others, too. I didn't make myself clear, though. I do not have the parking sensors. My annoyance is the chime that comes on when I am in reverse. It's so loud I can't concentrate what I am doing, and with kids bickering in the back seat, yikes!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Tim,
Maybe you will set a trend, people will see you driving round in your shiny black Kuga and think wow I must get one of them. Did you see KugaPrime's post, he picked up his white kuga yestereday.

Looking forward to seeing your Kuga with its Japanese number plate.

Cheers, bayman

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you don't have parking sensors what is this chime??.
This is not something I have heard fitted to uk spec Kuga's.
Do you have a law in Japan that pedestrians etc. must be warned when a car is reversing.
Maybe someone else on here will know why your car chimes when you reverse. I know a lot of lorries here are fitted with reverse warning chimes and they can be pretty loud.

Cheers, bayman

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your interest! When I put the car in reverse, there is a loud warning "tune" that comes through the dashboard. It is intended to remind drivers that the car is in reverse; it cannot be heard outside the car. it is so darn annoying that I find myself finding parking spaces that will not require backing out! And it unnerves passengers, as well. By the way, how do you add a photo (from iPhoto, for example) to this forum? When I try, it asks for A web address of the image.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
<<By the way, how do you add a photo (from iPhoto, for example) to this forum? When I try, it asks for A web address of the image.>>

This seems to be a limitation of the forum software. Some forum software packages allow you to 'paste' images (within certain memory limitations), but this doesn't seem to be an option here.

I 'think' you can cut'n'paste images into your 'reply' box (I tried this on my main PC, with a Firefox browser, and it 'seemed' to work - although I don't think I completed the <POST> action, but it doesn't seem to even begin to work in an IE browser - although THAT doesn't surprise me in the least!!)

However, most folk create the likes of a 'Photobucket' account - and upload images there, linking to those images within their replies. Search the Forum for "upload images" (or similar) - there is a thread dedicated to this.

Cheers,

Niall

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's a whole thread called "How to - Post a photo" in the "How to" area.I shall hopefully be putting it into practice once I am fully Kuga'd up this afternoon.

Simmo

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is a old post but you can turn off the reverse warning chim using a USB Elm327 device linked to a laptop and using Elmconfig softwear. Id have a good read and search for A modified Elm327 usb device that plugs into the diagnostic socket. Readvup on Elmconfig and Elm327.

L

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tim.....I was trying to get rid of annoying reverse noise too and have found an answer! (for 2011 kuga anyway) Put your left/right indicator on.....you just get the gentler indicator click rather than horrible reverse beep! ( I'm a Kiwi.,,.we're great improvisers)....Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tim.....I was trying to get rid of annoying reverse noise too and have found an answer! (for 2011 kuga anyway) Put your left/right indicator on.....you just get the gentler indicator click rather than horrible reverse beep! ( I'm a Kiwi.,,.we're great improvisers)....Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts