Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a ST Line pre-registered tdci from my local ford dealer and I'm over the moon with it. It is a nice step up from my B-Max which the wife nows owns.
Anyways. It doesn't have a reverse camera installed and given the height to back window ratio, I would really like one. After talking to the sales man who sold the kuga to me, he did say that one can retrospectively fitted quite easily. If you have a basis knowledge of cars. Which fortunately I do.
So can anyone point me in the right direction as to how easy or difficult this task would be? Apparently he also said with it having the sync 3 system, a reverse camera would just plug and play.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
From what I've read you'd quite likely need to do programming changes to the BCM- so it will switch to the added camera.

There are aftermarket add on modules for Sync 3 which can provide an input for an aftermarket camera (plus they give inputs for other devices.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murcod. I was lead to believe that as long as bought the correct wire, it is almost as simple as a plug n play. I'm guessing not by what you're saying, although... looking through old threads it appears that there is at least one person that has done it. Although with it been under warranty I'm inclined to go with the majority.

·
Super Moderator
1,783 Posts
It will DEFINITELY need programming into the Body Control Module.

There are (expensive) kits that you can buy to 'by-pass' this requirement but it's up to you to decide if the additional expense is worth it.

That said, if you are on good terms with your dealer they may offer to do the BCMprogrammingfor a nominal amount.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
If the salesman said it's "plug and play" get him to organise the required bits. Any programming issues go back and get them to fix it.

You need to get the Sync module to switch to the camera when reverse gear is selected. If it was programmed to do that now you'd be getting a blank screen in reverse. I very much doubt Sync 3 is capable of automatically detecting a camera and reprogramming itself to switch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
From what I understand reverse cameras have a very low current draw off, If that is the case then why not connect them up to the reversing light, the camera will obviously only operate when needed, Because of the low current draw off I cant envisage any Can Bus problems.
As an after thought if a tow bar is fitted then the connection could be made to the reverse connection on the trailer plug, it would then not effect the Can Bus in any way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents, thank you for your replies. You have all given me food for thought. I do get on with the salesman and I'm sure he'd arrange for a BCMreprogramme for a minimal amount. But even if I get him to agree to this, what reverse camera kit is best, do I need a genuine ford one, cos he led me to belive I didn't. And is the wiring harness there as I have sensors fitted all round as my kuga has the self park thing fitted. Not used but fitted.
Cheers again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wiring is not normally there you will need 2 pins to put in apim as they are normally missing if you get stuck i orded some frome states and will have spairs and will be putting video sockets on short tails if needed
cheers

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Reverse camera related. Rear camera on my Kuga is fine however on Mrs Bob's ST-Line half the visible screen is filled with a massive rear number plate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm attempting to upgrade from sync2 to sync3 retrofit the ford rear camera and also add the auto park system along with some other small tweaks

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Reverse camera related. Rear camera on my Kuga is fine however on Mrs Bob's ST-Line half the visible screen is filled with a massive rear number plate?
That’s sounds to me as if zoom setting is permanently on, mine is fine normally but if I need to get closer, I zoom in, that’s when the NP is prominent

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Sorry for the delay phoneman will try and locate zoom inside the menu. Thanks fo that.

Bob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts