Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, fitting a Kenwood aftermarket sat nav unit soon and looking for any tips. I'm looking for recommendations on what reverse camera to buy (one that replaces numberplate light).
Also any tips on getting the cable to through the boot and what route down to the head unit. Thanks guys

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have you tried to search this topic on the forum search Craig?
I already have reverse camera fitted to boot lid so would not have a clue how it actually got the wiring there.
The camera maybe try to get something of e-bay?
Good luck with your project matey.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Someone did manage this a few years ago - re the wiring, but it was a pig of a job, from what I remember, you should be able to find more with a search, they may of had to remove the tailgate to accomplish this feat, though my memory on that is vague.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Someone did manage this a few years ago - re the wiring, but it was a pig of a job, from what I remember, you should be able to find more with a search, they may of had to remove the tailgate to accomplish this feat, though my memory on that is vague.
Yeah, I did it. And King Kuga is right....it's a pig of a job.

It was done leaving the upper & main tailgate on the vehicle. The main issue is the compartment internal structure of the upper hatch to run the power & video cables through.

This link will take you to a thread with some pictures of it being done by @fly4ever and @TigerTony. Pay particular attention to the photos from TigerTony, they were a great help in my install.

Once you've been brave enough to drill the holes, use a length of net curtain wire to get the power & video cables from the reversing camera opening through the upper hatch > through the rubber boot > then through the main hatch rubber boot to the roof lining. Good luck...took me about 3hrs to get that bit done.

Up to you how you do it but I found it impossible to pass the video connector through the hatch etc, so I cut off the end, passed the wire through then reattached the connector once at the roof lining.
At the roof lining inside the car, I then connected the camera power wires to a feed from the offside reversing light, so the camera is only powered when in reverse.

By the way, the reversing camera I purchased came with a video cable about 4m long, I left that intact and used it to run from the rear roof lining connector down to the head unit. I purchased an additional 4m RCA cable off eBay to sacrifice, cut the connector off to pass through the hatch.

Running the video cable under the roof lining, down inside the A-Pillar trim, behind the trim by the headlight switch, then behind the trim under the steering wheel and across to the head unit.

Hope that info helps.

Andy T

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry all, Massive apologies for not replying.. I did not receive notifications of replies. Thank you for your help.
@AndyT557 Thanks for the link and the detailed reply. Will be tackling the job in the next few days, sounds like it could be fun lol
Apart from the 1 hole that measurements are given for.. Did u drill other holes?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Craig_09,

Apologies for late reply, only got home yesterday from a long trip away offshore.

To answer your question, if i recall, the only extra hole i drilled was through the section into the boot inner from where the wiper motor is accessed. Remove the access panel on the inside of the upper tailgate just under the screen. It's the one with a bulge. I drilled a hole to pass the reverse camera wiring through.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts