Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Reverse camera help

34K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  Ross J 
#1 ·
I would like to fit a reverse camera to our 68 St line x.
To this end I bought a genuine ford camera, (from a mk2 C-max)
This came with the looms removed from the donor car, the camera has the grey 6 pin plug.

My question is will my Kuga have any wiring pre installed? (I do have front and rear sensors) I did have a quick look behind the right boot panel, there was a large module there (parking perhaps) but no grey plugs 😔

If not, do we know a pin out for the 6 pin grey plug?

See less See more
#3 ·
The cars that have a camera fitted at the factory also have a camera module somewhere in the rear of the car which is possibly what the camera plugs into. Like murcod says you will possibly need a wiring diagram to confirm. It is also questionable if your model would have the correct loom for the camera module and camera. It would be nice if the loom were the same but none of the posts in have read in here where owners have added a reverse camera, have used the ford camera.

You can fit just about any after market camera to the Kuga. It doesn't need to new ford one. Normally they would connect to positive and earth and have an RCA lead for the video. The RCA lead for the video would need connecting to the wiring at the back of the sync screen. Reverse camera would need to be added in the body control module using forscan and obd interface.

#4 ·
:eek: wow! May be best to get it fitted indeed 🤞

#5 ·
balders has fitted an aftermarket camera to his on sync2 and seen a few others as well and it doesn't look too difficult. However none of those who have posted have used the ford camera. From what I can see the worst thing is trying to get the cable through the rubber grommet in the top of the tailgate.

As the ford camera uses a module located I believe in one of the rear wheel arches, I doubt if any car not having a factory fitted camera will have the module. They are quite expensive. Then there is a question of if you managed to obtain the module, would the cars wiring have the provision to connect the module and the camera.

Before I invested in a module, I would check first there is the provision inside the tailgate to plug the camera in and then see if there is a provision in the wiring loom to put in a module inside the rear wheel arch.

#6 ·
Bit of an update.
I'd almost given up on this. I went in search of an elusive grey plug, that I'd seen mentioned in other forums, to no avail.
Turns out Kuga doesn't have this, BUT, it does have a black, 20 pin plug, above the headliner , extreme back left corner.
This plug is prewired for the power, video and linbus wires as far as here. ( I think, not tested it back as far as the sync screen (Mainly because I couldn't get the top off the dash, and was scared to break something) Is there a knack to this?
So worst case If I have to use a cheap rca camera, I can tap in here, saves running it up the whole car.
But I haven't given up on the oem camera yet.
It also turns out Kuga doesn't use a module, it is all controlled by the BCM.

#7 ·
Yes you are correct. It was the MK1 that required the module.

The dash comes off really easy and there are a few videos on YouTube. Don't use your first like it shows in one of the videos, just buy a plastic kit, they are maybe a tenner from amazon. They video below shows it being just pushed up carefully.

#16 ·
Yes you are correct. It was the MK1 that required the module.

The dash comes off really easy and there are a few videos on YouTube. Don't use your first like it shows in one of the videos, just buy a plastic kit, they are maybe a tenner from amazon. They video below shows it being just pushed up carefully.

Read this thread yesterday and saw this for trim tools and ordered them, just been delivered and I have to say on first impression they are the best trim tools I have ever had and a bargain at the lightning price, far superior to my old set and more of them

Reactions: smartguy69
#10 ·
As with most things if you are careful you will be fine. The trim tools however could mean the difference in breaking a clip of not and if it's ABS plastic then most super glues don't work.

#12 ·
Haha, that's bizarre because the trim tool set I bought is no longer available so just picked the link I posted entirely at random.

Just thinking about your original camera set up, if you have the wiring up to the 20 pin plug you mention then all you would need is the loom that goes from that to the camera. Not sure you can plug an after market camera in there as I don't think anyone has done it. You could ask on ford owners.com where many have modded their focus which may be similar.

With an aftermarket camera the RCA for the video goes to pins 14 and 15 of the APIM (touch screen). 14 being positive and 15 is negative.

#13 ·
Apim pin 14 goes directly to pin 16 on the 20 pin black plug.
Apim pin 15 goes directly to pin 17 on the 20 pin plug.
The wires are in the chassis side of this plug, I still need to check if any parts of this loom are missing between here and the apim, but I see no reason why an after market camera video input can't be put here. Save running it the whole way up the floor?

#14 ·
It does sound feasible and would save you having to run a cable from front to back. Also if it has power there also would be another save. Do you know if there is only power on the 20 pin connector when reverse is selected. The guys who fit an after market camera would pick up the live feed from the reverse light.

#15 ·
Camera power is pin 19. Lin is 20.ground is 11. Shield is 18.

I'm not sure how original camera power is delivered yet, but this plug is main tailgate plug, so there will definitely be a feed to the reverse lights in there somewhere.

#32 ·
Been reading through this thread and it's got me in a little muddle.

I can see from post 16 that there is the connector in the roof liner and looks as if we can get all the connections from there.....

Camera power is pin 19. Lin is 20.ground is 11. Shield is 18.
But then here where it gets a little cloudy for me.

I have bought a generic camera off the bay and came with yellow rca lead and the power lead.

So looking at the above
Power - 19 - Red on power side
Ground - 11 - Black on power side
Lin - 20 - ???
Shield - 18 ???

I have cut the plug off the yellow rca plug and has 3 wires in Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Paint
a red, black and green. I tried to cut the plug so that I could see where each wire went but failed lol.

Can anyone shine a light on this for me?

Also can the earth point instead of going to 11 drop onto a metal point within the boot lid?

Thanks in advance
Steve

#21 ·

It works ( screenshot from a video, so picture isn't great, but active guidelines work.
All temporary to see if it works, the camera is sat on the rear headrest. I will remove the superfluous wires in the c max loom and tidy it up when I fit it into the tailgate.
All without removing any seats, trim or dash 👍

#23 ·
Interesting to know the wiring is in place for sync 3 cars for anyone who wants to fit an original ford camera.

#29 ·
You did well to find that. The information on Ford.7zap shows the kuga having the camera module. Perhaps they changed it on sync 3.

#34 ·
Hello, just subscribed because I'm in the same situation, I've bought a Kuga st line mk2 with sync 3, it has a lot of stuff but it hasn't the rear camera.

I found a used rear camera for sale and I wanted to be sure about this, you found the connector inside the tailgate, plugged in and it worked?

Thanks for your reply.

#36 ·
@Oggobeer why not introduce yourself in the new members section and pop your Kuga details into your signature as requested by your welcome PM👍

Reactions: johncam