Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,808 Posts
I think someone on here is recently doing this, unless it was you.
Haha, you made the same mistake as me and that's why my post above says deleted. I posted a link for this very thread and referred to tractorboy. Scroll up to post number #27

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,263 Posts
Haha, you made the same mistake as me and that's why my post above says deleted. I posted a link for this very thread and referred to tractorboy. Scroll up to post number #27
Haha...

Reactions: smartguy69

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,342 Posts
OK, a quick update...

I buzzed out the 4 pins on the clockspring and only 1 comes out on the back of the combination switch assembly. This almost certainly means that that heating is controlled by the SCM board in that assembly (A in photo). So I took the top off the assembly (B in photo); the four pins of the heating connector pass through the case and plug into a connextor on the PCB (C in Photo). I bent over the three that don't pass through (see photo) and soldered wires onto them. The wires were then passed through a hole in the side of the case. A fourth wire was connected to the pin on the bottom of the unit that is a pass-thru for one of the top connector pins (See photo). I then connected the steering wheel and the new "harness" to a W1209 digital temp controller all powered off an old PC power supply. Works perfectly! Gets up to temperature in under a minute.

That was before Christmas and I would have liked to fit it to the car as a surprise Christmas present for my Wife, but there just wasn't the opportunity. So I boxed it all up and presented it to her on Christmas Day. Never seen such a puzzled expresion :) Once I'd explained she was most pleased!

This morning I started fitting it to the car:

Removing the airbag was a PITA! Turns out that as well as levering the release bar through each round hole on the back of the wheel, the airbag needed to be pulled quite firmly too; I was being too gentle. Examining the replacement items didn't help as they use a slightly different latch arrangement. I could do it again in few seconds now I know :)

Removing the steering wheel and combination switch assemebly was straightforward.

The "new" switch assemebly went on fine and I used the original indicator stalk as I need the lane assist button.

Steering wheel and airbag went on fine.

I mounted a round rocker switch in the left hand side of the lower steering column cowling. Easy to find but not very obvious if you see what I mean. One of the heating element wires goes via this switch and it also has it's own earth for an LED.

I then ran the bundle of 4 wires across to the glovebox. I removed the gearstick trim plus the trim that sorrounds that. The side panels of the centre console were pulled out as far as needed to route the wires through.

So that's it for now, my wife needed the car :-( All the steering wheel controls work just fine. Not sure I like the facelift cruise buttons; prefer the "paddle" type. I don't think it can be swapped over from the old wheel so will just have to get used to it.

I'll be powering it off the F85 supply, probably with a piggyback. The temperature controller cannot take more than 12v so it is supplied by a 9V DC-DC converter. This will be hidden away behind the glovebox. The temp controller will probably be in the glovebox. Once set up it shouldn't need to be touched but it needs to be accessible for tweaking.

Hopefully will be finished tomorrow.

Bob

View attachment 5286 View attachment 5287 View attachment 5288 View attachment 5289 View attachment 5290 View attachment 5291 View attachment 5292
I'm thinking about doing something similar, also due to Raynaud's. :(

I came across a circuit diagram for a Focus RS heated steering wheel and was thinking that diagram is quite likely very much the same as the Kuga / Escape. Here's the wiring diagram:

To me, that seems to indicate the control circuitry is indeed inside the steering wheel "clock spring"/ SASM assembly and all you should need to add is the power, earths and a switch to get it operational?

Any thoughts @tractorboy ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That does look like what I found in the "flesh" so to speak; I think it does tie up with the confusing connector arrangement I found. There may need to be some programming required as I'm pretty sure there is some data which sets the temperature. Maybe it's just there by default? Definitely worth a try as it would mean you just need to fit a switch plus some wiring for the switch.

Bob

·
3,342 Posts
Definitely worth a try as it would mean you just need to fit a switch plus some wiring for the switch.
Thanks for the reply.

I've run into an interesting issue that I'm not sure I want to live with or how to overcome. It appears no 2017-2019 Australian Escape (i.e. our Kuga) came with the heated steering wheel- at first that wasn't a big hurdle as parts can be obtained from the UK. However, the Australian RHD Kuga/ Escape have the headlight/ turn signal stalk on the RHS of the steering wheel (the traditional place for Australian cars) and the UK Kuga seems to have the default Euro setup with the indicators on the LHS? NZ is RHD as well, with the same stalk set up as us and they don't appear to get the heated steering wheel either.

I'm not sure I want to change that stalk setup, even if my vehicle's wiring loom somehow matches up? I doubt the Aussie clock spring/ SASM would have the required heating module built in.

:( Does anyone know of other RHD countries that get the Kuga/ Escape? Africa is the only other I can think of but I doubt they'd get a heated steering wheel.

·
5,808 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've run into an interesting issue that I'm not sure I want to live with or how to overcome. It appears no 2017-2019 Australian Escape (i.e. our Kuga) came with the heated steering wheel- at first that wasn't a big hurdle as parts can be obtained from the UK. However, the Australian RHD Kuga/ Escape have the headlight/ turn signal stalk on the RHS of the steering wheel (the traditional place for Australian cars) and the UK Kuga seems to have the default Euro setup with the indicators on the LHS? NZ is RHD as well, with the same stalk set up as us and they don't appear to get the heated steering wheel either.

I'm not sure I want to change that stalk setup, even if my vehicle's wiring loom somehow matches up? I doubt the Aussie clock spring/ SASM would have the required heating module built in.

:( Does anyone know of other RHD countries that get the Kuga/ Escape? Africa is the only other I can think of but I doubt they'd get a heated steering wheel.
@murcod - What about Japan.

·
5,808 Posts
I instantly thought of Japan as they also drive on the "correct" side of the road and then the only other countries would be ones where GB had some "involvement" at some point. Cyprus, Hong Kong and you already mentioned South Africa. You are not going to get a heated steering wheel option in countries where it's predominantly hot.

Interesting that your indicator switch is on the right. I remember many years ago all of the Japanese cars I owned also had it on the right. That was a right pain when you had two cars that were different and jumping from one to the other.

·
3,342 Posts
You are not going to get a heated steering wheel option in countries where it's predominantly hot.

Interesting that your indicator switch is on the right. I remember many years ago all of the Japanese cars I owned also had it on the right. That was a right pain when you had two cars that were different and jumping from one to the other.
Yes, I checked South Africa but info is too hard to find. I couldn't even see heated seats, so doubt they'd get the steering wheel. Everywhere else is near the equator...as you say.

Some Euro sourced models ship here with the indicator on the LHS. I had a 2005 RS Clio and it had them, I think the Pug 306 did too. I actually found it very easy to swap between the different cars we had and somehow "automatically" knew which one had the indicators on the "wrong" side. I don't particularly want to swap them on the Kuga though. I know a lot of Aussies won't even consider buying a vehicle that has the indicators on that side.

I checked to see if the local Focus (from a similar year range) had heated steering- nope.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
How many wires are connected to the clockspring, I thought the Aussie Kuga used the same switches but moved 180º around the column with different stalks.
Our wiper stalk moves up to switch on, the european one goes down to switch on, same switch just on the opposite side of the steering wheel.

·
3,342 Posts
How many wires are connected to the clockspring, I thought the Aussie Kuga used the same switches but moved 180º around the column with different stalks.
Our wiper stalk moves up to switch on, the european one goes down to switch on, same switch just on the opposite side of the steering wheel.
So you're thinking the clock spring/ SASM is rotated 180 degrees and we get different stalks fitted?

I know there used to be four spare wires on my 2016 clock spring (prior to fitting paddles), but I'd also be updating to the 2017 - 2019 clock spring / SASM.

·
3,342 Posts
That does look like what I found in the "flesh" so to speak; I think it does tie up with the confusing connector arrangement I found. There may need to be some programming required as I'm pretty sure there is some data which sets the temperature. Maybe it's just there by default? Definitely worth a try as it would mean you just need to fit a switch plus some wiring for the switch.
Bob, is there an easy way to tell a heated steering from non heated? e.g. Is the wiring plug a separate plug or is the wiring all integrated into the one plug?

(I'm trying to work it out going off pics on the internet. I've noticed some have about four blue and black wires coming from the lower twin spoke area- is that the heating wires?)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts