Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Mr. Helpful & Still a Moderator
Kuga, Titanium X Sport 2016
423 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the airbag, I was exactly the same the first time I tried to remove mine. @balders actually told me how to get it off successfully as I managed to get 1 side off then when trying to do the other side, the first side would click back in 🤦‍♂️ I think it's because there's so much emphasis put on how careful you need to be with them, that you're probably being a little too cautious.

I've since changed mine to an ST Line version but it's not the heated one, it does mean I have the right clock spring and indicator/wiper switch gear now though. Could be our next project @balders 😁
Hmmm.... Interesting.... Not to good on the soldering front, so that's me out.... 😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,807 Posts
Hmmm.... Interesting.... Not to good on the soldering front, so that's me out.... 😂😂😂
Heated drivers gloves will be cheaper and give you more time to walk the dog. I guess you didn't solder your wires when you did the sync2 install. When I extended my loom I think there were 17 wires with each requiring 2 joints. Took me hours lol.

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,263 Posts
It was clean before I took these 2 out... Honest... 😋😋
Gorgeous dogs!!! Yeah, dogs and cars... :oops: my little Border Terrier makes enough mess alone :p

Heated steering wheels are just great - hope it works out OK (y)

Reactions: balders

·
Super Moderator
887 Posts
I spent a long time considering whether to pay £250 to install heated grips on my Triumph motorcycle... I saw sense and spent that amount on a heated jacket and glove liners...

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,263 Posts

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
553 Posts
If it was an easy swap you could have mine as not used it once since I've owned it in over 1.5 years! It just happened to come with tje heated syeering wheel option from new.:p
I didn't want heated seats either - the Mrs would disagree though on both counts....I much prefer the Xenon/LED lights option! 🤣

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
All done now. Wife very pleased :)

I didn't bother with the LED on the switch as it'd be annoyingly bright at night.

I took power from F85. As it will be drawing up to 7 amps I made sure the piggyback connector was inserted so that the new circuit is drawing current thorough just it's own fuse (10A) and not the orginal F85 fuse in series. (F85 and F86 are supplied by a 20A circuit from the engine compartment fuse box.)

The temp controller and DC-DC converter are siting below the glovebox near the BCM/fuse box. Temp is set to 35C with 2 degrees of hysteresis.

For info the parts are listed below:

• Heated Steering Wheel GV41-13600-JD1GPL Normal Cruise buttons, no paddleshift ( or GV41-13600-KC1GPL Adaptive buttons.)
  • Combination switch/clockspring/SCM assembly F1FT-14A664-AA (has extra pins for heater and thermistor).
  • Airbag GV41-A042B85-AB3ZHE
  • W1209 Temp Controller
  • Buwico DC/DC Converter 12V Step Down to 9V 2A Power Supply Module
  • Switch
  • Piggyback fuse adaptor

zoOfs2QfRE2YWc4yUo5+BQ.jpg

ehwdHTvNSL+J05H04MVPhQ.jpg

Bob

·
5,807 Posts
Nice job. Any plans for any more upgrades.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Cleaning it would be quite an upgrade! That'll probably take longer than this one :)

Other than that, no.

Bob

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,263 Posts
Nice neat job! Very impressed (y)

·
5,807 Posts
Cleaning it would be quite an upgrade! That'll probably take longer than this one :)

Other than that, no.

Bob
There are a few of us who have got rid of the sync1 system and replaced it with sync 2. Andspenka started it and then he upgraded to sync 3. Not for the faint hearted but then neither is your heated steering wheel modification.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I seriously considered the SYNC upgrade but decided it just wasn’t worth the effort for what we’d get out of it.

Bob

·
5,807 Posts
I seriously considered the SYNC upgrade but decided it just wasn’t worth the effort for what we’d get out of it.

Bob
It is a lot of effort. A lot easier on the focus. Ford completely re-designed the dash where the sync 2 screen fits. I am surprised that for sync 1 they just didn't use a removable tray for the CD player to fit in which could be replaced with a mount for the sync 2 screen. It would have saved them having to use a completely different dash for sync 2 and 3.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,703 Posts
You could say that about the whole thing though, why did they move the pins to different locations on the same 54 pin connector? Why even have a 54 pin connector when you only use around 25.

They're just bonkers is my take on it.

Edit: I've counted them cos I know that @smartguy69 will probably know exactly how many are used and want to correct me 😁

Reactions: smartguy69

·
5,807 Posts
You could say that about the whole thing though, why did they move the pins to different locations on the same 54 pin connector? Why even have a 54 pin connector when you only use around 25.

They're just bonkers is my take on it.

Edit: I've counted them cos I know that @smartguy69 will probably know exactly how many are used and want to correct me 😁
I forgot to add that it was worth it though. With the technology that has been around for many years the Sync 1 system should have been what is Sync 2. Reason being is it was probably designed many years before the car was launched but touch screen technology has been out for years as well.

25 pins from the car would be correct if you include the data link connections. I checked your spreadsheet lol. Agreed there was no reason to move some of the pins. That really threw me at first but so easy looking back.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,703 Posts
Yeah, it looks very daunting at first but it's actually not that bad in the end.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't bother with Sync 2, I would just go straight to Sync 3.

Reactions: murcod

·
5,807 Posts
Yeah, it looks very daunting at first but it's actually not that bad in the end.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't bother with Sync 2, I would just go straight to Sync 3.
I was in two minds last year when I was buying the bits. Would have been easier sorting out my media hub headache. There were a few sync 3 screens going cheap back then but now the scrap dealers have worked out that people are doing the upgrades. We can thank the Focus owners for that I think. I actually like the appearance of the sync 2 screen and is much better than what I had but I know you have more options with sync 3. Something to look forward to on my next Kuga perhaps.

For some reason I lost green yellow and red warnings for the rear park sensors. might have had something to do with me disconnecting the screen so I could fix it in properly. A master reset cured it.

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
28 Posts
A heated wheel is my next mod hopefully. Just need to find one
I did fit the switch for it in the ac panel. You dont need to fit the whole panel, the two banks of switches are separate units that clip in
The steering wheel/power boot switch had two extra pins than my original, but the plug was already full, ie, it was pre wired for these extra pins.
So I need to find the wiring diagrams, and see where these goto.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,263 Posts
I think someone on here is recently doing this, unless it was you.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts