Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking to buy a mark one Kuga possibly. Wondering if anyone has retrofitted the kick activated tailgate? There don't seem to be many Titanium Xs out there with them!

Thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Standard fitting on the later Titanium X

There was a thread on here which I can't find.

The OP gave it up as a bad job due to the sheer cost of the parts, reprogramming requirements etc which came, IIRC, to well over £1000.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys- So I should really hold out for the Titanium X if I am going to have this feature I guess and retrofitting will be more bother than it's worth! I am going to be getting a 2011/12 model so that should keep me right.

Do people actually rate the feature? Maybe just a gimmick that no one uses?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys- So I should really hold out for the Titanium X if I am going to have this feature I guess and retrofitting will be more bother than it's worth! I am going to be getting a 2011/12 model so that should keep me right.

Do people actually rate the feature? Maybe just a gimmick that no one uses?

I don't use in on my Kuga, because the tailgate opens/closes relatively slowly. I much prefer to operate using the radio key whilst walking towards/away from the car, exactly as i do with its locking. Or when exiting the front seats i find it easier to press the open/close button on the dash. Otherwise one is left 'hanging' ...doing a silly dance behind the vehicle, followed by the wait for it to open. LOL
No-doubt on the odd occasion i need rear access whilst my hands are full, then it might be a handy feature but that has not happened yet.

Aside note; I also tow a trailer or use a ball mounted bike rack. When the rear of the car is in proximity to either of those, the auto tailgate function/dance does not work. Which i assume is the correct programming with the Ford factory towing electrics on my vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
I have it on myTitX and barely use it at all.

If I am shopping with SWMBO then we have a trolley-full so I tend to open the boot with the remote while walking towards it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't have the foot activated tailgate on mine (despite the dealer promising it would be standard kit), but I find using your foot to kick the kids to open the boot works just as well smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your helpful insights! We are just expecting our first baby so thought it would be a handy feature for when our hands our full!

It sounds to me though that perhaps I shouldn't rule out just getting a Titanium and not holding out for the X!

The leather interior and heated front seats is a must. Is there anywhere I can find out what the X gave you that the Titanium didn't?

I think the differences were:
-Rear parking sensors
-Front Parking sensors
-Auto Lights
-Electric Seats
-Electric Tailgate
-Bigger wheels
-Auto dimming rear mirror

I am looking for a 2011/12 example with around 30-50k on the clock and in white or Silver I think!

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Be careful with the front parking sensors as they were on, off,on,off and off again depending on year.

All the very best with the impending arrival (get some sleep NOW! wink:)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just to clarify, I believe the MK 1 Kuga did not have the foot activate kick action boot. This came out on the MK 2 model. The MK 1 had the spilt tailgate.

Reactions: AndyT557

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just to clarify, I believe the MK 1 Kuga did not have the foot activate kick action boot. This came out on the MK 2 model. The MK 1 had the spilt tailgate.
Good point. Didn't the first Mk2's come in around the 13 plate?

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Same here I have it on my kuga,,same as the others I open it when walking towards it with the key fob.I think I have used it 5-6 times.

Ross

P.s
Welcome to the forum,,let’s us know what you decide to buy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I was of the belief that this was on the 2011 & 2012 mark 1 models before mark 2 launched 2012/13...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have found another issue with my plans! I had hoped to take out the standard issue headunit and replace with a double Din headunit such as these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay

However from the attached picture it looks like I would loose the air conditioning controls as they it is controlled through the main screen!

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think I have found another issue with my plans! I had hoped to take out the standard issue headunit and replace with a double Din headunit such as these:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay

However from the attached picture it looks like I would loose the air conditioning controls as they it is controlled through the main screen!
You need to find a H/U specifically designed for your car and model, if you install a generic H/U you might end up losing other features as well, such as trip computer info, steering wheel controls etc

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I would check carefully when looking and buying, sometimes the foot operated tailgate was standard and other times an extra, Ford are notorious for changing standard and optional features

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
371 Posts
Very occasionally it can be handy if you are carrying something in both hands. Generally I find it annoying because it takes so long to close and open. Oh and when sitting on back of car changing shoes/boots it's really nice to get clobbered by the tailgate!

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts