Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading every post here with the word android in it (mk2 section only) it seems to be that there is not very much information for these units on a Kuga. Overall i think that there is not much info regarding these units on the www for a Kuga, there are lot's of units for the Ford Escape but i am not sure that they are interchangeble. In my search for an affordable unit i came across this one on aliexpress. Sinosmart Android unit for Ford Kuga 2013 - 2014 - 2015 I am thinking of ordering the more expensive unit so the interaction should be fairly smooth. In the ad there is link below with installation instructions and it looks like it is plug and play (except for some minor adjustements during installation) I am planning to use it for naviagtion (Google maps), Spotify and a rearview parking camera. What do you guys think? Anyone here that knows this brand?
My dash looks like this, i think this one should fit nicely. (The ugly round thing is a magnet to stick my mobile phone to while driving)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Go for the 4GB RAM model, android's seriously more responsive than the 2GB, plus it comes with more storage (64Gb if I'm not mistaken). Also it should be plug'n'play, these units come with all necessary connectors for an almost hassle-free installation. Rear camera works with any aftermarket camera, so you should get one that's specific to your car (replacing one of the licence plate lights).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have some experience with another head unit model, in a Focus, but which I think it is relevant also here.
As Ace said 4GB is clearly more responsive. Installation is pretty much plug and play, just there are lots of cables, not just two. My biggest issue however is with the warranty offered through Aliexpress. My unit died 6 months after being bought and the seller never responded. You are basically not protected by any local authority in your country.
Therefore, for such investment I would buy from a local reseller, accepting of course the additional cost. Would not want to waste another 400 EUR...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The Kuga and Escape are the same car, just named differently in different parts of the world.
In Australia we originally had the Kuga but the name didn't sell well, so they changed it to the Ford Escape, it still doesn't sell well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I think i am gonna give this unit a try. The seller has got a matching camera for the Kuga so i think i will be ordering that too. Total cost just below 300 euro. I never had a problem with warranty from China before, if it brakes during warranty and the seller will not respond just open a dispute and eventually you will be compensated one way or another. I agree that buying local is more convenient as warranty is concerned but it is also more than double the cost (and most of these untits are produced in china too ;)).

·
Registered
840 Posts
Does it say what the boot up time is. I was looking at an android system a while ago but after seeing a couple on Youtube I was put off by the fact that I could be 100 metres down the road before it had switched itself on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Usually these systems use a hybrid sleep/shutdown mode, instead of turning completely off, exactly for the purpose of booting up as fast as possible. Not to mention that they usually have all boot up checks disabled (much like disabling every check in a PC's BIOS). However, it is very, very rare that any aftermarket system, especially a no-name chinese one, will outperform a decent brand-name/stock HU in this aspect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know the boot up time but is will most likely be the same as an android phone or tablet, it is pretty much the same except for car specific options so it would be strange if an android system would start up in a couple of seconds from scratch. Most of these things boot up under 45 seconds, that is fine for me but i can imagine that it can be annoying for some people, i guess they have to buy the (very) expensive stuff.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well, they don't boot up that slowly, of course it depends on the system and specs, but they usually boot within 15-20 secs. However they can't beat SYNC's (or other stock HUs') boot up time of around 5-6", because the stock systems are designed and built with fast boot-up time being a major requirement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have seen mine and a colleague's unit on a Octavia. Both have a sleep mode that makes sure that when you start it after an amount of time will basically boot in under around 10 seconds. I think that's more like 5 seconds. On my unit that sleep time was configurable but I don't remember the max time. Was less than 4 hours. In the Octavia there is the same sleep setting, but with no configurable time. Boot time is under 5 seconds. My colleague says he talked with a guy who says the battery consumption is very small, but obviously there must be some consumption associated with this

·
Registered
840 Posts
It would be handy if you can just leave it on standby like you can with a tablet but I think that is not the case looking at a couple on YouTube. Keithmac would be the one to comment as he has an android unit.

·
Registered
819 Posts
This is ours, boots up in around 15 to 20 seconds (will time it next time I'm in car).

Only thing I would say is GPS takes a good minute to lock on from a morning boot, if you get out of car and back in again 30 mins or so it's instant. May be a setting but never been a problem.

I use CoPilot Sat Nav but you can use any off the app store..

After our Sync1 failed at 5 and a bit years old I wasn't putting another back in, genuinely can't recollect any other device that I've owned where the screen has failed.

Wouldn't go back now, phone works and steering controls/ rear camera etc. Aircon on touch screen is a nice touch.
20180225_160012.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks good too, did you buy a specific one for the Kuga or was it listed as Escape? Do you have a link or brandname @keithmac ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was just going to ask about the screen glare as well. In my unit (3 years ago) that was one of the downsides. I could not see the screen if the sun was looking at that area of the dashboard, with the brightness at max. I found myself in the focus shading the unit with my hand on many occasions to see what was displayed there. Less of an issue if you're in a country with less sun, but where I live there's lots of that.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It was listed as a "Tesla Style 10.4 screen" for Mk2 Kuga.

I have put a matt screen protector cover over the screen and that helps with the glare.

Not really an issue unless the sun is in just the right position which is not often really.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks again for all the comments guys, really helpfull. Just let the wife look at both options, i think that i will have to look into the 10.4 screen option and forget about the smaller one. Quote from wife "Are you crazy, you are NOT going to cut holes into the dashboard of our new car to fitt a little screen :mad:"............
As i understand the tesla style options do not need any dashboard cutting.
Enjoy the weekend everybody :cool:, time to fire up the grill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update, just ordered this unit, the 2GB 32GB unit. Now we wait for china to kick it into gear and send me the unit. I will keep you posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts