Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
FOR KUGA TITANIUM TDCI 4X4 DIESEL. 2.0
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody fitted a double din audio system into 2016 kuga? It looks like a lot of plastic etc needs removed. Can it be done? Many thanks

·
3,235 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You've got Sync 2 with the 8" screen or Sync 1 with the small screen?

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,438 Posts
Hi @Gers., welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.............Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

As for your question, as you already have Sync 2, you would be better swapping it for Sync 3, then you can get CarPlay / Android Auto. The double din type never look right as the trim is even more plasticy than the Ford stuff & they never look right.

The swap to Sync 3 is simple and you only need 3 bits changing, the screen itself and module attached to the back, known as the APIM. You will need to swap the USB hub and add a GPS antenna, that's it. The screen is exactly the same size so it fits like it should.

There's quite a lengthy post in the How To section about swapping from Sync 1 to Sync 2, but the latter pages get into swapping to Sync 3 from 2.

Kuga Sync 2 Retrofit

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @Gers., welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.............Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

As for your question, as you already have Sync 2, you would be better swapping it for Sync 3, then you can get CarPlay / Android Auto. The double din type never look right as the trim is even more plasticy than the Ford stuff & they never look right.

The swap to Sync 3 is simple and you only need 3 bits changing, the screen itself and module attached to the back, known as the APIM. You will need to swap the USB hub and add a GPS antenna, that's it. The screen is exactly the same size so it fits like it should.

There's quite a lengthy post in the How To section about swapping from Sync 1 to Sync 2, but the latter pages get into swapping to Sync 3 from 2.

Kuga Sync 2 Retrofit
many thanks for your reply much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
Pretty much yes, the connection on the back of the unit is the same, the USB hub has slightly different plug on but you can get around that and the GPS is an addition. You need to get an antenna with a Blue Fakra connection. There’s a socket on the back of the module for it.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
Yes, you original plug from your current hub will plug into that and the other end plugs I got the new USB.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Just to answer the original question, every video i've seen of a 2DIN unit installation requires cutting off two specific pieces of plastic (trim, frame, support, whatever those are)

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Just to answer the original question, every video i've seen of a 2DIN unit installation requires cutting off two specific pieces of plastic (trim, frame, support, whatever those are)
Deleted as could cause confusion.

·
3,235 Posts
regarding just changing three things, is it as simple as taking my old one out and plugging the new one in and also changing the usb etc.
Pretty much yes, the connection on the back of the unit is the same, the USB hub has slightly different plug on but you can get around that and the GPS is an addition. You need to get an antenna with a Blue Fakra connection. There’s a socket on the back of the module for it.
Isn't there vehicle specific software/ firmware changes that are required to get the Sync 3 to operate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited by Moderator)

·
3,235 Posts
How do you go about that?

You can buy kits off places like Aliexpress now eg. 480.0US $ |Factory SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit APIM Module Carplay Fit for Ford Lincoln Sync3|Laptop LCD Screen| - AliExpress (supposedly pre programmed to suit your vehicle.)

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
Isn't there vehicle specific software/ firmware changes that are required to get the Sync 3 to operate?
Not from 2 to 3, everything works without any mods. Having said that, my Sync 3 was from a Kuga. Many of the APIM settings aren’t model specific, they’re the same across the range. I’ve changed things in mine that come from an F150 spreadsheet. Only when swapping from 1 to 2 needed an As Built loading.

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
@Gers, there is no cutting involved in going from Sync 2 to 3. Mine was Sync 1 and I had to cut away a lot of the dash so the Sync 2 screen goes where the old CD player was.
This is why we should stay on topic, I know you know what you’re talking about but it can be confusing for others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Gers, there is no cutting involved in going from Sync 2 to 3. Mine was Sync 1 and I had to cut away a lot of the dash so the Sync 2 screen goes where the old CD player was. You don't have to do that. You may have to do some programming depending on what car your sync 3 screen comes from. It is fairly simply coding and help is on hand here from our Super Moderator also know as Super Modifier.
Cheers. I’ve everything order, was starting to panic. Lol

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
This is why we should stay on topic, I know you know what you’re talking about but it can be confusing for others.
Good point Andrew. I think it was Ace who started it lol. I have deleted my posts which are not relevant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts