Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2014, 2 litre duratorq AWD, looking to replace with a 2017/8 model, want to know thoughts on suitable model Kuga, engine/fuel etc, I live on Dartmoor and the car I have is brilliant, snow, rain boggy ground has not stopped it yet. Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
649 Posts
180 hp AWD is a good tool. all season tyres are proving their worth.

mpg wise 42 - 51 mpg
Trim level others will say.

2017/2018 will have Electronic Handbrake, not a disaster

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
2017/2018 will have Electronic Handbrake, not a disaster
[/QUOTE]

Technology moving forward withe the electric handbrake = higher cost of brake discs and brake pads to the consumer.

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
Morning lespj.......

I don’t have a loyalty to car brand but the Ford Kuga has been my choice since 2008. There was a short break somewhere along the line but I went back to a Kuga and I’m on number 5 now.

As to which model, well for me and this was always a winner, the heated front screen. I worked at Holmfirth and suffered severe frosts and snow. Others used to spend ages cleaning theirs screens, me, 2 minutes and gone.

The next to have on my list is xenon headlights, as there are just so good.

Parking sensors are a must, reversing camera deffo yes, blind spot detection also yes and privacy glass yes.

Next would be a 2 litre diesel and awd. I read, you have awd and you will know the benefits. Diesel for economy for me, but torque is the ultimate winner for me. Gearbox wise, well I have a powershift. Both are ok, early autos did have some issues, others have reported. I still think manuals are better as for towing and you have full choice in the snow, this is also true to for maintaining the best gear for traction and this is where the torque helps out, higher gear, lower wheel spin, more traction.

Now if you haven’t had a heated steering wheel, get one! Along with the heated seats, I wouldn’t be without them now. I have leather seats but that wasn’t my choice and I could live without them, cold in winter initially and very hot in summer, especially when wearing shorts!

Colour, silver, always looks clean. Keyless entry and deffo a sat nav (some will argue that point)

I have the colour coded side skirts, but for practical reasons the plastic trim on the lower doors and sills is a paint saver! It wouldn’t bother me again if I didn’t have the painted lowers.

Other bits like the electric tailgate are ok, but you can manually lift it quicker. If you have a cheap boot liner I, then it doesn’t matter if you put your shopping bags down on the floor, so no great issues. Sunroof is also a personal choice, I have one but I don’t it that much.

So, hope that helps and the newer mk2.5 grill is a nice chunky bit.

A sensible post from me for a change, enjoy.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would agree with all the above posts, especially Psshaw details of all the extra bits which if you can get are all well worth having. I drive a petrol, the first I have had for years, but would agree with the others that the diesel is the best option. Good luck with whatever you get.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm starting to look, mk3 off my list, so a late mk2, or another marque. Seen a 20 plate VW today, Nice car don't get me wrong but just that bit smaller than the Kuga. (could I put 3mtr pipe in or 8ft of timber?)

·
Banned
1,569 Posts
I’ve said before, we got a new vw Tiguan 1.4tsi day 4motion. Load of rubbish.....sold it 6 months later and went back to the kuga. Sure it was the engine choice but it smelled of fish from new as well. Anyway, I think the mk2.5 kuga is excellent. 20 months ownership, no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I’ve said before, we got a new vw Tiguan 1.4tsi day 4motion. Load of rubbish.....sold it 6 months later and went back to the kuga. Sure it was the engine choice but it smelled of fish from new as well. Anyway, I think the mk2.5 kuga is excellent. 20 months ownership, no issues at all.
I prefer a heavy car with a bigger engine. A little surprised that ford haven't put twin turbos on their 1 litre engine from the fiesta and stuck it in a Kuga. Would put out at least 180bhp so surely would be good enough, wouldn't it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
They put twin turbos on the Edge 2.0 TDCi to make it 230 hp, That never appeared in the Kuga.

Reactions: smartguy69
1 - 9 of 9 Posts