Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i was wondering if anyone has removed their spare wheel and gone for the repair kit.

i have-

i bought a repair kit off ebay for 32 pound and went to remove the wheel and foam surround but am left with the bracket (that the screw which secures the spare wheel down) in the middle of the boot and icant figure out how to removing it without hacsawing the f**ker off.

hope anyone can help the boot is a lot bigger without the wheel in much better than before

cheers
Edited by: spitfire231

·
Registered
113 Posts
It looks welded on to me - for those who haven't yet ventured under their spare wheel, here is a pic.

And here is the extra space you get when removing the spare:-

The carpet fits nicely..... except for the bump caused by the spare wheel bracket

Remember to watch out for key sensor though. (yep, this is what senses whether the key is in the car and allows it to start - and you thought it was ESP?)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Looks like you maybe stuckwith the hump. For me I'm ok with the boot size as it is and I like the security of a physical wheel to pop on, not convinced about the merits of can's of goo for helping in all types of punctures and the affects of it on the wheel come tyre replacement time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think the spare is a better option. Although boot space is reduced i reckon the polystyrene cubby holes around the spare is useful and keeps the boot free from odds and ends. My Kuga had poly mouldings in the rear footwell storage areas, which are only screwed to the carpet with plastic fixings.Easy remove to get massive storage areas. Ford handbook says the ploy inserts are for supporting the floor / lid piecesif a child seat needs support on the floor. Ive never had floor mounted supports for my childrens seats? My previous cmax`s never had the poly inserts in the floor cubbies. just space....

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about the run-flat tyres as an alternative to the spare tyre?
Haven't tried them myself but I was thinking of buying a set if anyone was keen on swapping :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a colleague whom had to use the supplied 'can' of tyre inflator and was not very successful. ( had to get break down lift) also it cost too much. most of us much prefer a wheel. ideally Ford should simply make it a buyers free option. but as it's so much cheaper not to supply a whee,l it will push for the canned goo where it can get away with it. it's up to all new buyers to complain and insist on having a spare wheel or it will be lost for all within next few years.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Roy,
Is it just the way I have read your post or is their a possibility that my Kuga will arrive without a spare wheel? I agree with your thoughts about a can of goo versus a spare wheel, a can of goo will not repair a major puncture or tear. I believe it is also a requirement in some countries that you have a spare wheel, France springs to mind where we take the caravan in the summer unless I am getting mixed up with the caravan having to have a spare wheel.

Regards
Ursus (Paul).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys,
Just reading this with intrest until someone mentioned "run-flat" tyres....we have a mini cooper S with run flats. We have had two punctures and were able to drive home but, they can not be repaired and need to be replaced, for a Mini they were £138.00 (twice) just think of the cost for a Kuga....not to mention they give a rarther firm-choppy-ride....

Backchat

·
Registered
58 Posts
is there any difference in road noise coming up from the boot? take away the wheel and all that foam and could sound a bit rattly?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I personally wouldn't be without a spare wheel, had too many blow outs in my time and a tin of foam wouldn't help me in those situations, Plus they make a **** of a mess of your rim, just ask the tyre fitter who has to repair it

regards Graham

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another problem with the inflator kit would be if you was towing and had a puncture - I was lucky I did'nt have a puncture when I had a S Max . I did'nt even know when I bought it that it did'nt have a spare till I had read the manual !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts