Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga St-Line First Edition 2.5L PHEV Hybrid
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
When fully charged and still plugged in (Mk3 PHEV) I sometimes remote start to get the cabin toasty. I’ve noticed that this takes a few miles off the electric range.
I was under the impression that in these circumstances the energy should come from the grid and not from the battery.
Am I doing something wrong here?
many thanks
Leigh

·
Registered
761 Posts
The Kuga can only draw up to 3.7kW from the charge lead no matter what it is connected too. So if the warm up process needs more than that it will use some of the HV battery. Cars that can charge at a faster rate don't do this, but that tends to be pure EV cars.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
85 Posts
In order to avoid this I am using the app to set the departure time each morning. The car will be warm and with a full battery, as apparently there will be some optomisation process going on to have it happened. You can try like that. I am getting every morning 99% or 100% of battery and warm inside. One thing I do not like is that the car is automatically heating the driving wheel and the driver's seat. I like the wheel part, but not the seat. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
In order to avoid this I am using the app to set the departure time each morning. The car will be warm and with a full battery, as apparently there will be some optomisation process going on to have it happened. You can try like that. I am getting every morning 99% or 100% of battery and warm inside. One thing I do not like is that the car is automatically heating the driving wheel and the driver's seat. I like the wheel part, but not the seat. :)
You can change the heating options in Sync as to whether the heated wheel and seat come on. It has various options from auto to last setting but also specifically the seat and steering wheel.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
85 Posts
You can change the heating options in Sync as to whether the heated wheel and seat come on. It has various options from auto to last setting but also specifically the seat and steering wheel.
I think i saw something like that before in option, but i cannot find them anymore. Can you point me into the right direction? I am worried that I may have done something with Forscan after activating the climate control screen on sync.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
That’s why, IMHO people shouldn’t be playing about with a Forscan tool. It takes one unnoticed “tick box” error and your stuffed.

Gregs24 is the man to know. That’s another compliment G24.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Kuga can only draw up to 3.7kW from the charge lead no matter what it is connected too. So if the warm up process needs more than that it will use some of the HV battery. Cars that can charge at a faster rate don't do this, but that tends to be pure EV cars.
Thanks Pal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers. Will give that a go 👍🏼

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,742 Posts
That’s why, IMHO people shouldn’t be playing about with a Forscan tool. It takes one unnoticed “tick box” error and your stuffed.

Newbie's to Forscan should read up on it first before fooling around with it. It's fine for people who just want to check on DTC's and clear the codes but digging deeper and wondering what does what is really an absolute no-no. And people do without at least taking a back up and better still, taking a screen snip of the module settings.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
85 Posts

I generally agree with you. If people dont know what they are doing, you are correct - do not play with Forscan.
I got to think that I know what I am doing (I did a Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade in my Mondeo MK5 that actually involved some heavy Forscan issues and maybe that fact that I am teaching programming at uni level helps a bit :) ).
In any case, it is not a forscan issue. I only though that maybe on a different car you can have more options for the remote start. I do not think this is the case, as I read the manual and you could only have Auto (or off) mode which leaves the car to decide on its own (see attached pic). So limited options there and I though Gregs24 was talking about more options than I have. :)
Font Number

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Registered
2021 Ford Kuga ST-Line Edition PHEV
18 Posts
Just to piggyback off this discussion and not start a new thread...
Does the quickclear windscreen come on during remote starts/departure time starts when it's cold?
The car was lovely and toasty this morning and I cleared the windscreen fairly easily but I don't know for definite if the quickclear had been on...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just to piggyback off this discussion and not start a new thread...
Does the quickclear windscreen come on during remote starts/departure time starts when it's cold?
The car was lovely and toasty this morning and I cleared the windscreen fairly easily but I don't know for definite if the quickclear had been on...
Yes - watched it work on ours this morning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Folks
When fully charged and still plugged in (Mk3 PHEV) I sometimes remote start to get the cabin toasty. I’ve noticed that this takes a few miles off the electric range.
I was under the impression that in these circumstances the energy should come from the grid and not from the battery.
Am I doing something wrong here?
many thanks
Leigh
If you perform a remote start, doesn't that start the petrol engine automatically? Or does it "switch on" the car in the same way as pressing the Engine Start Stop button would, meaning that the car will get "READY", and whether the petrol engine starts depends on the circumstances?(outside temp, cabin temp, climate control settings, battery charge state, etc.)

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you perform a remote start, doesn't that start the petrol engine automatically? Or does it "switch on" the car in the same way as pressing the Engine Start Stop button would, meaning that the car will get "READY", and whether the petrol engine starts depends on the circumstances?(outside temp, cabin temp, climate control settings, battery charge state, etc.)
Depends on the battery state. If its flat then the petrol engine does start remotely.

Reactions: Gabor

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
97 Posts
Only used 'remote start' twice in recent cold weather. In each case EV battery fully charged and vehicle not plugged in.

In both cases ICE started.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only used 'remote start' twice in recent cold weather. In each case EV battery fully charged and vehicle not plugged in.

In both cases ICE started.
Did the ICE turn off after a couple of minutes, or did it run for long, until you drove off?

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
97 Posts
Did the ICE turn off after a couple of minutes, or did it run for long, until you drove off?
Had set run time to be only 5 mins. Both times the ICE ran for whole 5 mins and shut off. We didn't manage to leave home whilst the remote start was operating.

·
Registered
2021-4 PHEV St-Line X
19 Posts
I use remote start quite often in the morning, manually from the Ford Pass app, as we tend to leave on different times.

Vehicle is always plugged in to charger when remote start. During the fall, the ICE never started. But in the winter (~0C°) it would often start ICE for the whole duration, as soon as remote start was activated.

Last night I went to move the car into the driveway, ICE started as soon as the start-button was pressed, and looking at the power-distribution screen on SYNC, ICE was running 'due to heatersettings'.

I tried switching off the seat and steering wheel heat in the SYNC menu as described above by @acata1, and the ICE did not start this morning when remote started. Could be a coincidence, and I will try to follow this. :)

Reactions: Gabor
1 - 18 of 18 Posts