Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are all good.
I have recently purchased a Ford Kuga TiT X Sport Auto AWD.
i did all my research regarding fuel / performance yadaa yadaa, on the plan to remap the vehicle to obtain a more acceptable MPG.
At the moment i'm getting on average 35.6MPG which for a 2 ton auto is probably in the correct range.
So my question is, has anyone one here with this model remapped their vehicle? If so could you let me know the gains please?

Thanks in advance
Hope your all having a totally spiffing day.
Gemma

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had my 2014 Tit X 163bhp awd remapped by Superchips.
It's now making somewhere near 200bhp and goes like sh1t off a shovel!!!
I get around 37mpg running around locally but on a long fast run I have seen 41mpg (1400 miles to Germany cruising at 110 to 120mph).
Definitely worth doing though....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Try searching for remaps, quite a few have had theirs done, nearly all think it's worthwhile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am looking at remapping at the moment.
My concern is do you go for the biggest jump in torque and BHP or are the lower ones more suitable.
I have quote from Ace mapping and just waiting on Celtic mapping.
Superchip is the biggest improvement but I am not sure which is best.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
699 Posts
Remapping in F/I engines is easy, fast and certainly produces tangible and easily distinguishable results. And it can usually achieve both better mileage (leaner closed-loop) and better performance (increased open-loop boost levels). Going for the maximum torque (and subsequent HP) figures is probably only for very specific occasions (and dyno bragging rights), most of us want the maximum usable torque and power, without huge peaks and drops.

A remap will not pay for itself, unless you keep the car for a gazillion miles, but it will certainly make the car more fun, more agile, and better equipped to handle stressful situations. We must also keep in mind that, for durability reasons, we should probably aim for middle-of-the-range gains, since the increased boost levels of the more aggresive remaps put exponentially more strain (therman and mechanical) on the engine's internals, thus increasing the chances of a failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that.

I am now looking at TDI tuning.

This is adjustable having 7 settings and is removeable.

Have you come across this format?

Mark

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for that.

I am now looking at TDI tuning.

This is adjustable having 7 settings and is removeable.

Have you come across this format?

Mark
Yes, and don't do it. If you are saying it has 7 settings and is removable, it's probably just a -dumber or "smarter"- piggyback. These are underperforming nuisances -at best- or down right disasters -at worst. Get yourself a decent remap from a reputable tuner, don't bother with these things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have fitted a unit from https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk, fitted now for over 3 years on 2014 163 AWD, works really well, get 40mpg+ around town and 45+ on motor ways, plus has plenty of poke, can really tell the difference when I remove the unit when the car goes in for service. Had one fitted to a Mondeo about 8 years ago and no problems. They are a bit expensive but worth it in the long run. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
£379.00 for the mk1 is a lot of money , but would it be cost effective?

·
Registered
192 Posts
£379.00 for the mk1 is a lot of money , but would it be cost effective?
No remap is cost effective as you would have to do a lot of driving to recoup the difference in mpgs saving to the outlay of the map. Companies say you save money by mapping but you save more money by not. I only remap my cars because I want more power and better driving car than money saving. I am opting for the Superchips Bluefin for mine which gives me about 185bhp and a lot more torque.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The cost of the remap isn't an issue for the majority of people, the extra power and drivability makes it all seem worthwhile.
Mine is now out of manufacturers warranty and will be remapped in the coming weeks, it makes it feel like a new car without the new car pricing hit (or PCP)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The cost of any remap won’t be an issue to those that want it doing. That statement will apply to those that have usually remapped previous vehicles and will always go down this route and dare I say they’d remap a vehicle that had massive horsepower.

I would say that most owners would be Ok with the the “overall package” (power + mpg) the Kuga gives them.

Some quick research on the forum thread for “mpg” has many thousands of reads but those who contribute via postings are the usual “gang” and are small in number in comparison to the total of reads. So I’ like to suggest that would support the “ok” with it owners.

Not all owners are are fastidious with mpg, sync3, washing n waxing, clay bar usage, winter tyres etc. Just the few who probably go the extra mile or kilometre depending on your residency to make their vehicles a “shrine”. That what I’ve been accused of in the past, no drinks in cans, no fish and chips inside etc. Not anymore, I’m over that level of “analism”.

I’m not saying remapping is wrong, I just can’t see the point. I’ll say this which is not meant to offend anyone but if you’ve bought a vehicle for a specific job, ie towing and it’s under powered, have you bought the right vehicle to start with? Ie wrong engine choice etc.

Just my thoughts. Stay safe.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As a firm believer that "faster is better" :D, there are actually quite a few reasons why you would want to remap. Apart from the "improve what you've got" mentality, there are financial reasons (more powerful model means more expensive purchase while a remap is a fraction of the cost), sometimes the more powerful versions are not available or even imported or, such in the case of the Kuga, paired with specific hardware and/or trim level that you may not want or afford, in today's downsizing and F/I-ing trend the same engine is delivered in several power output trims, so remaping is nothing more than "unlocking" what is already there, there are those that remap for fuel efficiency etc.

Personally I never, ever consider fuel efficiency when remaping, I do it solely for performance, the grin on my face, the extra oomph when needed, as well as the worm that eats away our souls, known as "tuning" :p

I've always said that, for every person that thinks remaping (or tuning in general) is pointless, for their own totally acceptable reasons, there is another person that will tune/remap even if (s)he has the most powerful car/engine in the world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
gone for TDI tuning.

Got the box and fitting tonight so will let you know.

My brother has bought one aswell for his RAV4 which is quite under powered given similar size engine.

Got 15%discount for purchasing the 2 together mine £357
And I can send back if I am not happy with it
Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would always recommend a Superchips Bluefin remap (via the the Bluefin handheld) all day long. I have had mine fitted for the past 3 months and the difference is amazing. Mine is the 1.5 petrol but there are more gains to be had for the Diesel due to the impressive torque figures. I know the in-gear speed has been much improved as a Focus ST tried to undercut me the other day unsuccessfully (Focus ST has 240PS and is much lighter). It was faster but not massively so considering the power and weight advantage. it's because I have fitted 'ST' badges to the front and rear of my Kuga (which is the Stealth colour) which I guess is a kind of invitation to the boy racer! ;@)
There is a 20% Autumn discount at the moment too!

·
Registered
699 Posts
There is a 20% Autumn discount at the moment too!
I'm tempted to take advantage of the discount to get Bluefins for both Fiesta and Kuga, currently my finger is hovering above mouse button to press the "Buy now" ;)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just know if I can warrant it.
the wife bent my ear for having a mid oil service arranged for Saturday. Gulp.
Gentlemen bits in microwave comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just had a look.
£300, Na don’t think so.
I’ll drop it into sports mode if I feel punchy.
Own preference and we are all different.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts