Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some bad news for those who believe that the phev recall has been fixed.
Mine was due in on Monday at my main dealer for the modifications to fix the recall but in the last hour have received a call to say the Work on Monday has been cancelled by FORD!
Apparently they have recalled the recall; all I could get from the lady at the main dealer is that Ford have instructed all recalls cancelled for the moment and will be issuing another letter to all owners. In her understanding the fix has not fixed the problem and Ford are relooking at what to do.
This is not good news; presumably there will be yet more time delays involved before this gets rolled out. I will wait for the letter from ford but likely I will now write back pointing out that leaving aside all the inconvenience there is financial cost involved here; as all I generally do is short journeys, my expectation was to run this vehicle with virtually no petrol use and this is clearly not now happening. Beyond urgent safe and reliable fix of the problem I believe there should now also be some form of compensation.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga ST Line X AWD Magnetic
59 Posts
makes you wonder what the incentive is for Manufacturers to rush out electric vehicles, Im keeping clear for a few years yet
you and me both, although I could be tempted to a BMW i3 for a second car

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
makes you wonder what the incentive is for Manufacturers to rush out electric vehicles, Im keeping clear for a few years yet
Me too. On the few models I looked at the list prices seemed to be in the region of £5.5k more for the PHEV unless I read it wrong and a whopping £1,500 to go from a 120ps lowest model to the 150 engine. That's a lot of money for 30bhp.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Me too. On the few models I looked at the list prices seemed to be in the region of £5.5k more for the PHEV unless I read it wrong and a whopping £1,500 to go from a 120ps lowest model to the 150 engine. That's a lot of money for 30bhp.
You have to apply a new set of brain filters to this PHEV stuff. The engines are Atkinson cycle engines, which are designed for economy, with the end of the power stroke finishing at atmospheric pressure, and the size/hp doesn't match the thinking we've been applying for years

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't think I am ready for a PHEV yet and it appears ford are not either. I would be absolutely fuming about it.

The first point I made was for others to confirm if my findings are true or not relating to the RRP PHEV compared to non PHEV.

The second point relating to the cost difference for 30bhp is based on the 1.5 ecoboost and not the 2.5 litre Atkinson cycle engine. The actual cost difference is £1,650 according to carwow.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Speaking of Mk3 problems- there was the person on here recently who had the brakes apply themselves resulting in a rear end collision. PHEV or not, there are way to many electronic "safety" features that I wouldn't trust.

I was reading Toyota have got a new safety system that examines the traffic at intersections and will over ride the driver if the system thinks there's going to be a collision! I think it's already in the new Yaris.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I remember that person (Female) who’s mk3 brakes applied and had a rear end collision,,she had kids in the car as well,,wonder what the update of that was?,,,If you are still here let us know the update.

Ross

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yeah that feature is one I wouldn't want. I wondered how the system worked and assumed it was by radar. So what would happen if something in the area jammed the signal. Confuse the system and bring the brakes on perhaps. Whatever the fault it needs sorting quickly.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
211 Posts
Yes it's on here ...mine stuck the brakes on when waiting to turn right across incomming traffic.. I set off but the car detected Collision and stuck brakes on ...a quick poke on the accelerator and override it ....but a bit disconcerting...... also braked severely when on a single fast road with a line of parked cars ....sensor again must have thought a collision imminent ..... the sensors on the kia sportage are far more reliable and seem to work as they should

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That's just ridiculous. You can't just be driving past a line of parked cars and have the brakes coming on by themselves and bringing you to a stop. Most rear end accidents are possibly caused by the driver behind not expecting you to stop. Someone is going to get seriously injured or killed due to a safety feature that isn't fit for purpose.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
.mine stuck the brakes on when waiting to turn right across incomming traffic.. I set off but the car detected Collision and stuck brakes on ...
****. That could have resulted in a serious accident and would be very disconcerting.

Is there any way to turn the "safety" features off?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes I believe you can turn them off ..... also in very heavy rain the sensors are affected by the water ie blind spot function light in mirror randomly flashes as I assume water is dripping over them .... but err this is the UK and heavy rain doesn’t appear to affect the sensors on the Kia we have.
All this tech is great ...but it has to work reliably or ...what’s the point if you have to switch it off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some bad news for those who believe that the phev recall has been fixed.
Mine was due in on Monday at my main dealer for the modifications to fix the recall but in the last hour have received a call to say the Work on Monday has been cancelled by FORD!
Apparently they have recalled the recall; all I could get from the lady at the main dealer is that Ford have instructed all recalls cancelled for the moment and will be issuing another letter to all owners. In her understanding the fix has not fixed the problem and Ford are relooking at what to do.
This is not good news; presumably there will be yet more time delays involved before this gets rolled out. I will wait for the letter from ford but likely I will now write back pointing out that leaving aside all the inconvenience there is financial cost involved here; as all I generally do is short journeys, my expectation was to run this vehicle with virtually no petrol use and this is clearly not now happening. Beyond urgent safe and reliable fix of the problem I believe there should now also be some form of compensation.
I am keen to see what Ford has to say about this as I’m in the same position but depending on the compensation offered, I may seek legal advise. Even worse, I took time out of my day to drive my car to the dealership because nobody bothered to tell me that the recall has been recalled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys. New here so was hoping someone could shed some light on a situation for me, sorry if this has already been addressed in a previous thread but I have just ordered the new Kuga PHEV and expected delivery date was 23.10.2020 it got put back to 30.10.2020 due to "obstructions at border". I have now just received an email to say it's been put on hold due to a stop sell recall and they can't give me a time for when or even if im going to receive the vehicle. I have sold my car Monday just gone to make way for the new ride however am now left with no car right on winter/xmas!!

Anyone know anything or anyone a little bit more clued up about it all thank myself, any assistance would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mate you ain’t gonna see this car .....see below from ford watch link at end of statement and look at Facebook forum ford kuga /escape PHEV owners

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mate you ain’t gonna see this car .....see below from ford watch link at end of statement and look at Facebook forum ford kuga /escape PHEV owners

Nice1 for sharing mate I had no idea. Looks like will get it in the end but what an absolute ball ache. Especially in Liverpool in a local lock down. Nightmare. Appreciated tho 👌

·
Registered
211 Posts
No problem Ford have really screwed up on this ....and the dealers are not giving the correct information.... The dealership is local to me and know all about the issues so it annoys me when they dish out mis information ...be prepared to wait months though as a fix has not been found and most likely the entire battery pack and ancillary equipment Will have to be changed..... if you have ordered and are prepared to wait you should be eligible for the compensation package ......but the cars might never be fully fixed I would look at alternatives as a back up .......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be aware, the battery issues has not only affected Ford - BMW and Hyundai are also recalling their PHEV cars. BWM and Ford apparently use the same battery pack supplier or battery manufacturer, BMW though do admit to having two suppliers.

Thus three big car manufacturers have all be let down by the manufacturers of the battery pack. This is where the issue lies.

Ford, BMW etc cannot just slag of a third party supplier, there is a commercial route that has to be undertaken to identify who is at fault and how it is going to be resolved.

All Ford dealers should have taken part in a video conference with Ford UK & Ireland last week and thus be properly informed. There is at present no time scale however it is anticipated that Ford will announce their intentions at the end of this October.

This information is gained via the administrator of the Ford Kuga/Escape PHEV Owners | Facebook page who currently is in direct contact with Lisa Brankin, acting managing director of Ford of Britain and Ireland.

You may wish to join this group, I have found it very informative. Members range from those who feel it is worth waiting for the fix to those who have now lost patience and are moving on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts