Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend after having my Kuga for just over two weeks I found myself and family in a horrendous situation whilst driving up to Derby to see some friends. Basically I was driving along at 70mph on the A14 (no hard shoulder) about 4 miles from the M1 and all of a sudden heard this loud rumbling noise and the car pulled, I managed to bring the car to a stop. In the car was my wife and 15 month old son I quickly got them to safety and called the police. In the mean time the car was totally disabled and blocking the slow lane of theA14 just after a bend at 5pm - I made a decision to track back past the car to flag and warn on coming vehicles after watching some near misses, It worked and 30 minutes latter the motorway patrol turned up. They closed the land and made it safe to change my wheel. We made it to Derby 3 hrs late after driving at 50 on the space saver (thank god they didn't replace the space with that foam spray !!!)
The tyre had totally split in two !

The next day I managed to get the tyre replaced and have the car alignment checked. The tyre had no signs of any puncher or any other damage that would explain why the tyre blew out.

After the weekend I contacted the Allen Fords sales manexplained the situation however was told to speakto the service department(as they are just "sales men") who then pointed me to fords customer service.Fords then said the dealer are responsible for this issue, the service department then offered a full vehicle check and would send the tyre to Continental.

I do feel rather let down by Allen Fords due to the lack off ownership in the situation, the car was 2 weeks old and 1st motorway run. They don't have any goodwill, and didn't offer to replace the tyre, is this asking too much ? They said it would take 3 months and probably nothing would come of it ............!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Finchy,

What a dreadful experience. One can only presume this was a faulty tyre. Had you checked the tyre pressures at all since getting your Kuga? Just wondered if the dealer had set them correctly, or were they grossly over-inflated?
I guess you will have checked all the other tyres since the incident. As a matter of interest, what size tyres is your Kuga running on?
Let us all know how you get on.
I recently replaced my spacesaver tyre for a full size tyre & alloy; I just don't like the idea of spacesavers. The replacement does take up more space in the back, and doesn't sit flat with the floorpan. I've used foam to pack the gap. It's reduced the luggage space quite a bit, but offers peace of mind in return.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would definately send these photos and a message to Continental Customer Service, get them involved ASAP!

Hopefully the Kuga's ESP made sure you didnt have a more serious problem coming to a stop.

I hope someone will compensate you!

Good luck ...

Edited by: quatroxquatro

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is hellish.

Surely a tyre fault orwrong inflation. Even though you said no tyre damage might have picked something up on the road. Any damage in the wheel arch from a piece of metal?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allen fords said they will send the tyre on to Continental, so I guess I will wait to see what happens. I checked the wheel arch no damage only on the outerbumperfrom the tyre rubbing when it happened. I'm lucky there was no damage to the Alloy. I have the AWD so thought that might of helped with controlling the car. V scary situation, definaly recomend everyone having a hi-viz coat !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Typical Ford customer service!
their cars may have improved immensly over the last few years, but their sevice levels are still stuck in the 70's!

its not good enough to spend that much on a product and be treated in this way-

I wish you luck, and glad nobody was injured

btw- although there was no visual damage to the alloy, did the tyre centre check to make sure you havent buckled it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
wow, not good.

I agree with you about the foam thing, I had mini with same issue and always said punctures are un-predictable, and one can not forecast how the disaster will unfold.

I would pursue Tyre company and I believe putting pen to paper is sometimes the best route for having issues addressed??

·
Registered
106 Posts
sounds very scary....but keep pursuing ford...they are the agent that sold you the car so its their resposibility for any damage caused....if your not happy with what they come back with you can take it to the society of motor manufacturers and traders......its the govening body.....let me know if you need the number

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support ! I did get the tyre garage to check the alloy which they said was fine.
I had a call this evening from Ford customer care, which was nice however they are more interested on how the Dealers are dealing with it, which at the moment is poor. I did say its a shame that the dealers are letting Fords down !

I called the service department to ask them toput in writing what they are doing and that they have received the tyre (I don't want the tyre going missing and they deny any knowledge) however the person was engaged andfailed to return my call !!

I will let you know how I get on...

·
Registered
136 Posts
"however the person was engaged andfailed to return my call !!"

-sounds about right!

·
Registered
106 Posts
typical ford...keep on to them....its a real shame for ford...there after sales service really lets them down...im so annoyed with them that i will be going back to audi when i change the kuga

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a Audi previously too, and yeah the customer care was much better. Its such a simple thing to get right, my brother who has a BMW said "what do you expect with Ford" which anoyed me, Fords has changed but not the dealers, well Allen fords - I will try another dealer next time.....if I decide on another one !. ? !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts