Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Kuga been in today for MOT..... Passed but with an advisorie bring the nearside trailing arm bush has some play in it. Have checked it tonight and its on its way out,will be changing both as a precaution. Have spotted the extractor on T'bay, any advice or tips greatly welcomed. Doesn't seem to much of a job.
Ta
Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just had a look mine. Take the arm off.

There will be mark somewhere for the orientation, Mark this area with a centerpunch or a small nick with a hacksaw BEFORE you start. (take a phone picture)

Hack the rubber bits away with hack saw blade (If the rubber is tired a plaster board saw does the trick)

Discard the inner bit.

Soak in penetrating oil to help.

Saw the outer tube x 2 so it just cuts through about 60 degree apart and chisel the outer away.

Clean the arm and lubricate, oil is fine. Find a friend with a press and press it in. making sure the marks earlier line up.

IMPORTANT:
If using a SCREW press, the bush will rotate slightly as pressure applied, when in fully it will over shoot the marks mentioned earlier.
So compensate for this by rotating the bush anticlockwise slightly.
Dazzer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had a look mine. Take the arm off.

There will be mark somewhere for the orientation, Mark this area with a centerpunch or a small nick with a hacksaw BEFORE you start. (take a phone picture)

Hack the rubber bits away with hack saw blade (If the rubber is tired a plaster board saw does the trick)

Discard the inner bit.

Soak in penetrating oil to help.

Saw the outer tube x 2 so it just cuts through about 60 degree apart and chisel the outer away.

Clean the arm and lubricate, oil is fine. Find a friend with a press and press it in. making sure the marks earlier line up.

IMPORTANT:
If using a SCREW press, the bush will rotate slightly as pressure applied, when in fully it will over shoot the marks mentioned earlier.
So compensate for this by rotating the bush anticlockwise slightly.
Dazzer
Cheers Dazzer.... 😊 I've checked both if mine, the nearside one is coming away from the inner sleeve so will def need changing.
Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
Same old story, you get what you pay for: a £2.99 one from Tbay will last for 3 weeks.

A £15 er from a recognised make will last a few years. (Moog, Laser line)

EITHER one won't last long if the marks aren't lined up on reassembly, the rubber stressed all the time due to misalignment.

Mk7 Fiesta was £12 btw.

This could be a common item to replace in years to come, I best make a press / tool ready.

Out of interest what is the price on a OEM Ford one? Does anyone know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all
Struggling to find the right tool to use.... Couple of photos of said bush which is 60mm. Looks as though you can remove the whole arm as there are 3 bolts holding it the hub plus the two for the bush

Attachments

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Ford would replace the whole arm instead of just servicing the bushes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep, you need to take the whole arm off. Then attack on a bench.

Taking the old one out is relatively easy, just hack away unit it gives up!.

With having the rod through makes pressing in the new one a little harder.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Do anyone as Phil says, do a whole arm replacement? Aftermarket? 5 bolts - job done!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The old bushes are usually falling to pieces when they need replacing ,and are easily removed by cutting away the rubber and cutting through the steel part of the bush with a hacksaw.
After placing the new bushes in the correct position they can easily be pressed in using a press or a large vice with suitable spacers . If a large vice or press is not available then I would go along with the others who have suggested buying a new arm with bushes already fitted.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Once you have made to tooling and done your first one it becomes easy.

We (Forum - UK chaps!) need a left & right hand one off a scrapper, post to Daz and I'll shove it on my mates 150Te press.

Won't argue with that! Log splitters can be used as a press.

The rear axles on the Mk7 Fiesta are plastic outers that you can drill out and easily cut out. being plastic easy to push in.

Metal outers on the Kuga will require more persuasion!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.......
Have managed to source full arms, near & off side for £80 notes off a 2017 motor, bushes look to be in good nick. Should be with me before weekend......smile:

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Great stuff...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't scrap your old ones, I can fettle a press tool for future use!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 16 plate kuga with 33k miles and have had an advisory about trailing bushes , which has surprised me to say the least.
If they are going how do you tell ??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pop the plastic cover shield off, have a look at the rubbers they will possibly be showing signs of cracking/splitting. You might need to put a bar in to check for movement.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wonder how long before polybush or similar do a kit? And if they last longer on a FWD or a AWD?

I need balders old ones for a Kuga (UK) owners merry go round exchange service!

·
Registered
500 Posts
A bit off topic balders, but the rear diff is getting some 'Daz treatment' soon. Just getting all the bits together then will post. Not doing it today, its windy enough to blow a dog inside out!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts