Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Rear passenger door on my 2016 Kuga is shut and wo n't respond to the key fob, also windows do n't work. Happened reasonably gradually..first it sometimes opened, sometimes would n't..then it sometimes would n't lock...now its stuck permanently locked which is a right pain with kids in the back.

So I've seen a few discussions about this problem on here already, specifically about problems with the electrical connector at the bottom of the door and damage due to water ingress. A local garage had a quick check for me and said that connector was fine..power getting through, no signs of water ingress. He can't do anything else without removing the door panel, which given the door is jammed closed, he claims he can't do without removing the seats, so a bit of faff/expense for me before the fault can even be diagnosed. He suspects the door control module..although could still be wiring. He has n't charged me anything yet.

I have an extended warranty with Stoneacre, so I could just take it to them..however if it turns out to be wiring they wo n't cover me and will charge a hefty sum for diagnosis (plus I do n't really want to give them my business). They 'might' cover me for the door module.

So...I know its anyone's guess and ultimately I'll have to take a punt with either the local chap or Stoneacre, but if I knew for certain whether it was the 'door module', or 'the wiring' the decision would be easy. New module 200 odd quid plus labour...so bit of a risk to take it to the local fella. Dianostics and fiddling about from Stoneacre, then it turns out to be a wiring problem..probably even more.

Anyone got any experience of the rear door jiggered problem where it was n't the connector at the bottom of the B column?

thanks a bunch

Lesley

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
Hi @Shipjack and welcome to our forum. Can you please have a look at the link below and update your signature with your car's details. It will save you having to type it in again next time you may want to start a thread.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar issues on another car which was the actual lock itself and I couldn't get the door open either so understand the frustrations. I haven't had any issues with the Kuga so I am unable to help but no doubt some of our others members will be able to.

Is it just the window on the one door which won't unlock that doesn't work. If so then the fault could be the actual window switch which I believe was an issue with someone else's car. Looking at the wiring diagram the window switch is connected to the door latch so an assumption could be made if the window switch has failed it would cause the door latch not to operate. Just an assumption mind based on looking at the wiring diagram. I would purchase a used window switch off ebay or get the garage to swap the side that is working over to check my theory.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
510 Posts
I drived my Kuga without side panel and window switch and it works perfectly fine. Door could be closed by car / key fob button also window was fully operational by driver switch panel...

Theory about damaged window module could be true. The most possible is damaged wiring inside of black bunch of door wire (some of them rubbing themselves or was kinked and snapped). Typical symptom is when something works randomly, then suddenly stop working.

Anyway to diagnose it you have to remove door panel for further inspection. But don't worry there is no needed to remove back seat.
To take off the back door you have to unscrew:
x1 screw hidden in door handle,
x2 in door switch,
x1 on the bottom door panel without any cover (centre side)
(Red means bolts)

If I good remember those bolts was T20 or T25...
Also you will need multimeter to check wires when you disconnect the plug from door module.

Then you should try to find a short by connect together two wires from module plug to chassis door plug.

(Blue one I mean plastic clips)
Jerk pull to take off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. Good to know that the seats do nt have to come out..all those bolts are definitely accessible with the door locked shut?
Anyway, got my fingers crossed it's wiring and therefore best it get it fixed by the independent garage, l do nt have the confidence to tackle it myself .

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
510 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Good to know that the seats do nt have to come out..all those bolts are definitely accessible with the door locked shut?
Anyway, got my fingers crossed it's wiring and therefore best it get it fixed by the independent garage, l do nt have the confidence to tackle it myself .
Yes I checked this in my car and this bottom door bolt can be unscrewed when door are closed with straight access ;)

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll, I went with the local garage and glad I did. Was a broken wire combined with a broken pin in the connector at the bottom of the door..a fault I've seen mentioned on here before.
200 quid down in labour costs but he managed to fix the wire and pin rather than installing a whole new wiring loom, which I'm sure Stoneacre would have done then told me it was n't warrantied therefore much more expensive.
Ah well, problem solved for now. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts