Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have been on this site before but for some reason it didnt remember me? I'm just right in the middle of fitting a bosal towbar. Can't get the rear bumper off (well could but dont want to break anything. Anyone had any experience of this?

I have removed all the torx screws I can see, but am having trouble getting the sides to come free, looks like Ford using some fit once only type plastic interference pins in holes, so really weary on over forcing them to come out of their holes but it sure looks like the only way.

Desperate for ideas as its going to get dark soon, didnt really want to have to button her all back up again as once the bumpers out of the way the rest looks to be a doddle. The plug in dedicated electrics were a dream to fit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fitted protection bars to below rear bumper but didn't have to go to any extremes like that, sorry no help here
, but good luck and let us know how you got on. Edited by: the Bear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 'the Bear' no worries I managed it.Once the fasteners are all undone you simply have to be brave enough to just flex each side outward and pull. Job is a breeze, took a few pics along the way so will post them.

If I had another to do now I reckon I could do the whole job, electrics as well in 1 hour tops. Bowsal towbar cost me £220 and the Kuga'dedicated' electrics kit (i.e. all plug in connectors, no loom cuts) were £75. With the bar I chose there are no bumper cuts at all, the electrics swivel down, soin fact if you didn't look right up under the rear of thevehicle you would have absolutely no idea there was a towbar fitted at all!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi 'thedapper', followed your woes regarding the bumper with interest as I am just about to invest in a self fit towbar. The price for the towbar is what I expect to pay but electrics are a bit cheaper than I've been quoted. Is it possible for you to say where you bought both items from?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi CharlieParker,

Best we could find for dedicated Kuga kit was fromwww.autow.co.uk

Best Bosal detachable bar price we could get was from ebayer called 'yescarparts', beat the nearest other Bosal by 60 quid!

Only dissapointment was how Bosal (don't) package their bars for sending to their distributors. It was in a cloth like sack. Consequently many areas where the powder coat had suffered impacts, had to be touched in a day or so prior to me fitting it. I know its under the car but it's beside the point.

By using the two above items the final fit is awesome, no ugly lump of iron on show like many out there. The Bosal comes with a great swivelling electrics bracket, so even that isn't seen when not in use. And as I said above 'no' cutout whatsoever.

The only caution with fitting is that when you have undone 'all' the screws, you pull outwardeach of the bumper sides, before trying to pull it rearward, and don't forget to disconnect/reconnect those fog lamp wires!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bear, I took several pics whilst I had the bumper removed but none yet with the final completed job. How do I post some of these 12 meg pictures? The day after I fitted the bar our Kuga went back to the dealer to have4 new alloys fitted under warranty, so will take some pics to post when I get her back (although there is quite literally nothing to see without the ball hitch plugged in).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a moderator who could move this post to one of the towbar areas under the Technical section? Just thought it may be worth others seeing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
thedapper said:
The bear, I took several pics whilst I had the bumper removed but none yet with the final completed job. How do I post some of these 12 meg pictures? The day after I fitted the bar our Kuga went back to the dealer to have4 new alloys fitted under warranty, so will take some pics to post when I get her back (although there is quite literally nothing to see without the ball hitch plugged in).

would like to see with and without,curious to Know what was wrong with your alloys

to post pics follow this=1 Join photobucket
2 Upload your photos to photobucket following the instructions on the site. It doesn't mind about the original resolution of your pictures and when it asks you which size, medium (800 x 600) or large will do for this forum.
3 When your pics are successfully appearing in photobucket, you'll see a few boxes underneath - one of them will start with square brackets followed by an "IMG".
4 Left mouse click in the box that says IMG, and you'll get a notification saying "copied" under your mouse pointer.
5 Now go to the post you want to reply to, and click on "post reply" in the normal way.
6 Type a comment for your photo, press the "space bar", and then right mouse click, "paste" to paste the line containing IMG into the post window.
7 Make sure you have a square bracket at the start and end of the line containing "IMG" otherwise it won't work.
8 Click the "preview post" button to test and when all is well and good, hit "post reply", and hey presto, your pics on here for us all to enjoy....

Regards Graham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts